Thread: What's happening in the Twin Cities?

Cool What's happening in the Twin Cities?

Saturday, Nov 18th, 2006

Do It Green! Gifts Fair 2006

10AM-5PM

Green Gifts Crawl from Franklin down to 31st St along Lyndale Ave. (Uptown Minneapolis)

Exhibitors, workshops, artisans, and food featured inside Lyndale Church at 31st & Aldrich

Come shop for your green, fair-trade, recycled, organic, locally made gifts at the first annual "Do It Green! Gifts Fair". There will be over 50 vendors, Lyndale Ave businesses and local artisans. Free workshops, local, organic foods! In addition, this event will be the kick-off for the newly published Do It Green! Magazine.

The Do It Green! Gifts Fair is meant to bring back local shopping with an ecological flair for the holidays, including the outdoor shopping experience instead of a shopping mall. Shoppers will easily find participating locations by a sign and an "eco-tree" that will be placed on the boulevard. There will be free workshops for adults and children on simplifying the holidays, eco-decorating and local chefs offering cooking demos for holiday meal ideas.

www.doitgreen.org

612-623-7770

EarthSave Twin Cities 14th Annual 'Healthy Harvest' Thanksgiving Dinner

EarthSave Twin Cities 14th Annual 'Healthy Harvest' Thanksgiving Dinner

Sunday, Nov 19 at 5PM

St. John's Lutheran church
    4842 Nicollet Ave S
    Minneapolis

(EarthSave is not affiliated with the church, the church is just where the event will be held).

We'll have wonderful musical entertainment, a terrific raffle and free give-aways.

Please bring a plant-based dish or dessert to share with others (enough to serve 6-8 people).

For more info:

http://twincities.earthsave.org

Email: twincities@earthsave.org

or EarthSave's 24-hour info line: 952-930-1205

Announcing a new event for The Minneapolis Vegetarian Meetup
    Group!

What: Veggie Thanks!

When: Thursday, November 23, 6:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description: Let us give thanks to life! Celebrate with
    other vegetarians and vegans on a holiday that would otherwise be
    quite sad. Let us celebrate our independence and
    interdependence. Let compassion be our guide.

Or maybe you're just hungry? :-) If you like Chinese food,
    the portions are VERY big. The menu features a full page of
    veggie cuisine.

Reservations will be under 'Mark'. Please call me at the given
    phone number if you have questions or can't find the group.

I hope that you will get out to join us!

Learn more and RSVP here:
    http://vegetarian.meetup.com/376/calendar/5264203/

Quote Originally Posted by bird
    Announcing a new event for The Minneapolis Vegetarian Meetup
    Group!

What: Veggie Thanks!

When: Thursday, November 23, 6:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description: Let us give thanks to life! Celebrate with
    other vegetarians and vegans on a holiday that would otherwise be
    quite sad. Let us celebrate our independence and
    interdependence. Let compassion be our guide.

Or maybe you're just hungry? :-) If you like Chinese food,
    the portions are VERY big. The menu features a full page of
    veggie cuisine.

Reservations will be under 'Mark'. Please call me at the given
    phone number if you have questions or can't find the group.

I hope that you will get out to join us!

Learn more and RSVP here:
    http://vegetarian.meetup.com/376/calendar/5264203/
    I just came back from this. It was really wonderful. At first it was just me and two other people, and then later on one guy who'd been drinking showed up. He was a bit out of it, but sobered up a bit by the end since we stayed for 2 1/2 hours. I'm really happy to have gone, not only because I didn't have to eat alone on Thanksgiving, but also because it felt great to know I had a community I could always be a part of that would accept me. This is one of my favorite things about being vegan - it's stronger community than being Asian or being a woman or being a New Yorker, even. It wasn't an explicitly vegan meetup, but all four of us happened to be vegan anyway, so yay!

I met a groovy woman bicyclist who grew up in Manhattan but moved here from Seattle a few years ago, and is preparing to move back to Seattle in 6 months to start a company with her daughter (who lives in Everett), because her daughter has invented a way to renew electricity (or something like that, I didn't understand the physics behind it). They are working with the people behind the Who Killed the Electric Car? movie. She also works in IT, as a software developer, and is a hard-core feminist and also big in the intentional communities movement. So much in common!

One guy read my palm and it was so dead-on it was completely eerie. He knew so many things about me, and I just met him! He doesn't know any of my friends. How could he know all this stuff? I didn't tell him anything about me before he read my palm, but he knew about my parents, my health problems, my relationships, my sex life, the way I approach things, everything! He even said, "You've had financial difficulties within the last week." Which is true, this last week has been the lowest point. Holy cow. I am totally going to look more into palmistry now. That stuff is not just a parlor trick.

Anyway, I felt like that reading really was an important event in my life. I will not ever forget it. I'm so glad I went to this dinner, when I was feeling like skipping it. Yay for meetups, and yay for vegans!

New Veg Meetup:

When:
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 7:00 PM 2007

Where:
    The Vegetarian
    4022 Central Ave NE
    Minneapolis , MN 55421
    763-782-9678

It's an all-veg Indian restaurant that just opened up in Northeast.

RSVP here:
    http://vegetarian.meetup.com/376/calendar/5376262/

which should i see?

http://www.soundunseen.com/2007/movies/yellow

http://www.soundunseen.com/2007/movi...can-folk-music

i could do both since they are back to back, but i don't know if i want to be in NE that long.

I'd pick Yellow but they both look pretty good. Have fun.

ETA: Oh I just watch some clips from Yellow. Maybe better not. Old timey folk music is always a safe bet.
    Last edited by rick green; 08-23-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    verde que te quiero verde

Unfortunately, Circus Reform Yes! is a little disorganized and I did not get notified of this until just now, and apparently the meeting is tomorrow! That's too short of a notice for me to make it, but I'm still posting it because I know for a fact we have Minneapolis lurkers on here:

City Council Meeting on Animal Protection
    Amendment Hearing
    Wed Sept 12, 1P
    City Hall, 3rd fl Council Chambers,
    350 S 5th St, Minneapolis

RSVP by emailing christine@crymn.org

http://www.crymn.org/

Help end inhumane treatment of circus animals in Minneapolis. The Animal Protection Amendment is under attack by opponents on the City Council who are building support for their own circus amendment (which promises no relief for the animals).

Your presence at the public hearing is crucial. The City Council members need to know you support prohibiting wild animal circuses and that they'll be held accountable. They need to know no matter how much money animal circuses make for Minneapolis or how much power the circus industry bears, there'll always be brave, compassionate people willing to take a stand for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Bring your family and friends—anyone who believes all creatures should be treated humanely in Minneapolis—and join us as we speak for the animals. You'll hear testimony from both sides but won't need to speak—your presence will send a strong message. CRY volunteers look forward to greeting you and answering any questions you may have.
    Secondly:

Farm Sanctuary Presentation
    Tues, Oct 2, 7–9P
    Coffman Theater, University of Minnesota
    300 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis
    Free, but arrive early for a good seat

Compassionate Action for Animals is thrilled to welcome Gene Baur (formerly Bauston), co-founder and president of Farm Sanctuary, America's leading farm animal protection organization, to Coffman Theater for its Veg Week 2007 kick-off.

By recounting stories of rescued animals who now live in peace at farm sanctuary, Gene will make the case that farm animals—like all animals—have feelings and can respond to kindness. Propelled by eloquent testimony, he'll use firsthand accounts to illustrate how human and animal lives are caught in today's out-of-control factory farms. Just as cruelty to animals can lead to a broader callousness and disregard for life, empathy and compassion can awaken understanding, create hope and give rise to greater awareness of the decisions that affect our world.

Gene holds a Masters degree in Agricultural Economics from Cornell University and has conducted hundreds of visits to farms, stockyards and slaughterhouses to document their appalling conditions. He played an important role in passing the first U.S. laws to prohibit cruel farming methods, including the groundbreaking Florida ban on pig gestation crates, the Arizona ban on gestation and veal crates, and the California and Chicago bans on foie gras. His efforts have been covered by the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, NPR and CNN.

This is a free event—open to the public—to be followed by a free, catered reception and a chance to interact one-on-one with Gene. Academics, animal lovers and anyone looking for a relaxing, fun-filled evening are invited to attend.

Please email CAA at info@ExploreVeg.org for more information.
    Alas, I have already bought a ticket for the Deerhoof concert at the Walker on the 2nd, and can't make this second event, either. But at least I got to hear Gene speak at the Farm Sanctuary Gala in NYC last year.

On Sunday, November 23, 2008, EarthSave Twin Cities and Compassionate Action for Animals are having their Annual Twin Cities "Turkey-Free" Vegan Thanksgiving Feast/Potluck from 4 to 6:30 p.m. at Matthew's Community Park Center (indoor facility)
    2318 29th Ave S, Minneapolis.

Located in the veg-friendly neighborhood of Seward, and very close to "Fast and Furless." Free parking in the park's lot and surrounding residential neighborhood.

Please bring a vegan (no animal products) food, dish, dessert or drink to share with others (enough to serve 6-8 people). Some extra food will also be provided.

Delicious food, wonderful company, great raffle, special "freebies", good music and more. Feel free to invite your family and friends!

Everyone is welcome! You don't need to be vegan or vegetarian to attend.

Remember to bring your own plate, cup and utensils