Thread: Ouch!!! Jalapeno is burning my skin!!

My name's Cassie

Ouch!!! Jalapeno is burning my skin!!

I made chili tonight, and forgot that jalapeno can burn. It got rubbed into my skin, and now it is burning my fingers up. Help!!! Can I soothe this somehow? I've already tried washing with cold water and soap, but it's not helping....

Cassie

Last time that happened to me, I rubbed some extra virgin olive oil onto my skin and that calmed my hands down.

Plant-Based Person
    Hey Cassie, sorry this response is late, hopefully by now you're not on fire anymore!!!

Unfortunately, the most widely recommended antidote to hot peppers is MILK:
    "The November 20, 1991 issue of Jama recommends an antidote in their section "Cooling the burn from hot peppers." The author recommends any substance that contains casein (e.g. milk, milk chocolate, some beans and nuts). Casein, a lipophyllic phosphoprotein, works to "cool the burn" as a detergent that literally strips the capsaicin from its receptor binding site. This is effective because it is the lipophyllic side chain of the capsaicin molecule that interacts with the lipoprotein of the receptor."
    (note, the word is actually "lipophilic", not "-phyllic", but...)
    Does anyone know if soymilk contains lipophilic phosphoproteins???

I did find a vegan remedy:
    "Workers who pick the hot peppers have observed that the capsaicin is insoluble in cold water and only slightly soluble in hot water. Capsaicin may be removed, however, by bathing in vinegar."
    Vinegar was recommended in several places. Someone let me know if they try this and it works! For once, I don't feel like testing this empirically myself...

I know beer is supposed to help with chile-burn in your mouth, so maybe rubbing alcohol on your fingers would help. I'll try it next time I chop chiles.

Originally posted by herbi
    Does anyone know if soymilk contains lipophilic phosphoproteins???
    no

oily stuff should work - pour some oil on or smear on some marg to dissolve the capsaicin then use soap or detergent to get rid of the oil. beer (at least a reasonably strong one) should work too. i think. but hopefully the problem has gone away by now

this from www.fieryfoods.com :

The active principle that causes the heat in chile peppers is a crystalline alkaloid generically called capsaicin. It is produced by glands at the junction of the placenta and the pod wall. The capsaicin spreads unevenly throughout the inside of the pod and is concentrated mostly in the placental tissue.
    Capsaicin is an incredibly powerful and stable alkaloid seemingly unaffected by cold or heat, which retains its original potency despite time, cooking, or freezing. Because it has no flavor, color, or odor, the precise amount of capsaicin present in chiles can only be measured by a specialized laboratory procedure known as high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Although it has no odor or flavor, it is one of the most pungent compounds known, detectable to the palate in dilutions of one to seventeen million. It is slightly soluble in water, but very soluble in alcohols, fats, and oils.
    Last edited by penfold; 05-01-2003 at 03:50 PM.

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    I've used soymilk and it worked just fine.
    Gloves are also a good idea, for next time... or make sure you only touch the outside of the pepper when you're chopping it.

My name's Cassie
    Too bad I didn't read these replies before the burn was gone.

I knew about the milk, but I was under the impression tht that was only for burning *inside* your mouth. Well, whatever, since I'm not going near the stuff. I've also heard bread works for burning inside your mouth as well.

I feel kind of stupid I forgot peppers can burn your skin. I don't use hot peppers too much and it had just slipped my mind. I'll definitely be more careful next time.

Cassie