Thread: Substituting barley malt syrup for barley malt powder

Hybrid View

Substituting barley malt syrup for barley malt powder

I have a recipe that calls for two tablespoons of barley malt powder. I've search every store in my city, and not only do none of them carry it, but Wild Oats can't even order it for me. They sent me home with a large and fairly expensive jar of barley malt syrup. Any idea of how much syrup I should use to replace the powder? It's going into a cream filling, if that helps. Please help - the fate of a batch of vegan Twinkies (and my ensuing happiness) is in your hands!

Also, what the heck else can I do with this barley malt syrup??
    She did nothing in particular and did it very well.

hat-wearing potato eater dropscone's Avatar
    I sometimes use malt extract (which I'm guessing is the same thing - treacleish consistency?) in cakes and pancakes to give them a bit of colour and body (this was quite psychologically important when I first went vegan - the colour of the mix for something like a vanilla sponge looks more like it would if an egg had been added with the extract) - I would normally melt a spoonful in a bit of boiling water and add it to the liquid to go in the cakes. Lately I haven't been bothering so much because I'm adding different flavours in, but I have several vegan cake recipes which use it, if you're interested I'll dig some up and post them.

Good luck with the Twinkies, if they're the same ones as on veganlunchbox they look delicious
    "Like a cloud of blossoms falling
    Ain't it such a gorgeous morning?
    Hold your breath and reach for the blue"
    Blossoms Falling - Ooberman

Yes, that is the very Twinkie recipe that I'm planning to make! As soon as I saw that post, I raced out to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy the Twinkie Baking Kit. Thus far though, I haven't been able to make the Twinkies because I couldn't find the stupid powder. I could probably leave it out - it's only in the cream filling, after all - but I generally like to follow the recipe exactly when I try something for the first time. I couldn't find real coconut extract anywhere, either, so I had to settle for imitation coconut flavoring. At any rate, I'm making these babies today come hell or high water. I guess I'll just substitute the same amount of syrup for the powder. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I ended up using 1 tablespoon of the syrup instead of the 2 tablespoons of powder listed in the recipe. That seemed to work just fine, but next time, I think I'm going to take it down to 2 teaspoons - it was almost too sweet for me. I would whip a tablespoon of cold water into the cake batter, too, if you decide to try the Twinkies.

I'm interested in the cake recipes; I have a whole lot more syrup to use up. When you get the chance, please post a couple of your favorites.

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    They look great! I'm really glad to hear they turned out well.
    wocka wocka wocka