Thread: punk rock

punk rock

When I was about 13 I got listening to punk, sex pistols, crap like that. As the years followed, newer bands came up, ibought the records and got reading. Flux of Pink Indians released a 7" on Crass records. The b-side contained a song called Sick Butchers, which is self explanatory. I would stand on bed, reading the lyrics off the poster which was stuck on my wall, while listening to the song " used to graze in a field, i used to breath, i used to be alive, did chew the grass in the field, could see in here the world around me, see and fear, man around me......" It got me thinking. I would angrily sing along, knowing that i had to stop eating meat. By this time i was 16. I made that step, and a year later went vegan. I didnt fully understand what the deal was exactly with veganism, but i knew people became vegan, purely for the benefit of animals, so i did it. As the months, years passed, i learnt more and more and realised just how important it was for me to choose that path. Over 20 years later, im stronger now than i ever have been.

Welcome to the boards

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    Over twenty years?! Awesome! And I bet a lot of people thought you were going through a phase....
    wocka wocka wocka

Hello, Stan the Man. Welcome.

Music hath charms to soothe savage breasts. I don't listen to music very often. I wonder if that's why I'm still savage?

Good story. And well done on keeping at it for 20 years, despite meatheads' attempts to scupper you at every turn.

Regards,

Martin.
    There are lies, damned lies and vivisection.

Nitram Nagev.

what a great story! welcome, stan!

thanks for the welcome guys!
    martin, im a limey too! do you ever get down to london to the vegan chinese places? if you like that stuff, and dont know of this place www.veggie-world.com they sell all the stuff you can eat i nthe veg chinese places! you can order it on-line, even breaded chicken legs!!!
    i know very little about newcastle, are there any veg*n palces to eat?

Welcome Stan -
    Thanks for sharing your story. If I had a $1 for every friend that went Vegan because of Crass and Chumbawumba, I'd have another $50 or so dollars in my pocket -

Welcome again.......

tiny careful adventure fire bluedawg's Avatar
    welcome to VRF, stan!

Twenty years!!! That is so awesome! I can't wait to even say one year!! I am sappling, but your story, great encouragement!!

Quote Originally Posted by stan
    thanks for the welcome guys!
    martin, im a limey too! do you ever get down to london to the vegan chinese places? if you like that stuff, and dont know of this place www.veggie-world.com they sell all the stuff you can eat i nthe veg chinese places! you can order it on-line, even breaded chicken legs!!!
    i know very little about newcastle, are there any veg*n palces to eat?
    I rarely go to London Town. It's been years since I was last there. I believe that they now have motor cars clogging up the streets. It was bad enough with all those hansom cabs.

I don't eat out, so I'm not too sure what places serve vegan meals. There's a healthfood shop called Almonds and Raisins that serves soup, pies, sandwiches, tea and coffee - not all on the same plate, though. They close at about 5 pm and are closed on Sundays.
    There are lies, damned lies and vivisection.

Nitram Nagev.

Hi Stan, Welcome to VRF. I wish I had seen the light as early in life as you did.. props on that! Hope you like it here.