Thread: vegan skate shoes?

somewhere over the rainbow. kidding. this wonderful (note the sarcasm) place known as pennsylvania.

vegan skate shoes?

Well I was looking on the Vans website and found these...which I thought were pretty plain for being the only (were they the only?) non-leather shoes they had. I'm wearing out my Chucks (which I keep replacing) and I want a pretty pair of skate shoes (even though I don't skate...but that's beside the point). I have no idea which shoes use suede/leather/etc. and which don't. Do you know any skate brands that don't? Even individual shoes? I don't care what brand, really, just not knockoff brands or something. Thanks to anyone who could help me out here.
    [FONT=Verdana]I'll photocopy all the things that we could be if you took the time to notice me. [/FONT]

yer in luck, alotta them crazy skaters be vegans so'se when they get all sponsory they make them vegans shoes, yo
    *bling*

somewhere over the rainbow. kidding. this wonderful (note the sarcasm) place known as pennsylvania.
    thanks! haha I managed to miss that I guess o_x
    [FONT=Verdana]I'll photocopy all the things that we could be if you took the time to notice me. [/FONT]

every day im hustlin' exhume to consume's Avatar
    i've owned 3 pairs of Emerica Templeton 2's now. they're awesome! i see that the templeton 4 is out now, though. man, i'm behind the times!

http://www.emericaskate.com/shoes/templeton4/colors/

the 2 was better looking. oh well.

this one says its synthetic but a couple of the colors look like suede to me http://shop.ccs.com/item.do?category...ndFilter=0005#

DVS has a whole women's section on their site(http://www.dvs-girls.com/footwear/dresden.html), you have to go through each color for each shoe to see which colors are synthetic or not. nubuck=synthetic. its hard to tell if the whole shoe is synthetic when it says that, or just most of it. your best bet would be to call.

try to find a locally owned skate shop and ask them to help you find some. theres a skate shop here that is actually vegan owned, and for a long time sold nothing but synthetic shoes. the number of synthetic shoes in the market has declined over the last few years and they ended up having to pick up some animal carcass ones too, but most skate shops should be used to dealing with people who don't wear leather.

the ed templeton models will never lead you astray. dude is vegan and owns Toy Machine, so i bought their decks when i used to skate.

So. If you go to Vans.com, then /shop, they do actually have an own category for vegan shoes. I think they have nine different models. None of which I find good looking, but they're available if you like them.

Also, You've got this brand named iPath. I'm not sure if they're skate shoes or just go for the look and feel, but they're rubber'n'hemp, so they can definitely take the pounding of a skate shoe's lifestyle.

And there's always MacBeth's. They've got a lot of canvas (like the Eliot's, which are a great alternative for Chucks), and some really nifty skate shoes as well.

Also, if you want the style of Chucks, and you're into fair trade in addition to veganism; americanapparel have a Chuck replicate model that's made by people who are actually paid to work, contrary to the factory workers for the Nike-owned Converse Shoe Company.

Peace, love, and respect across borders of nations, religions, cultures and genders.

I can't find the Chucks replicates at american apparel (which I pretty much hate for other reasons). Do you mean these?
    I think they at least used to come in other colors.

Good post, by the way!
    Kindness counts!

Me Cade and Hope. sitting_vegan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exhume to consume
    ...to see which colors are synthetic or not. nubuck=synthetic. its hard to tell if the whole shoe is synthetic when it says that, or just most of it.

Nubuck is not synthetic, it's leather.

From Wikipedia:

Nubuck is top-grain cattle rawhide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibers, producing a velvet-like surface...

Nubuck is similar to suede, but its texture is finer. It differs in that suede is created from the inner side of a hide, whereas nubuck is created from the outer side of a hide, giving it more strength and thickness along with a fine grain.

Be warned also that Geoff Rowley is no longer vegan and his newest pro-model shoe on Vans is made of leather. His old shoes are still non-leather but I have a hard time supporting a sell-out.
    Ed Templeton is still vegan and has a really good shoe on Emerica, give him your money if you need skate shoes.
    And I Path recently got bought by Timberland boots and has done some shady stuff involving founding members of the company and long time team members so I have a hard time telling people to support them anymore.