Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: visiting Minneapolis...

visiting Minneapolis...

I was wondering if anybody could recommend good places to eat/see in Minneapolis/St. Paul? I'm going there for a couple days in a few weeks to tour a college and am dying to finally see a vegan restaurant and the co-op grocery stores that you all talk about. Or any local vegan boutiques? As I said we'll only be there a few days but i need to pack them full of fun before I go back to middle of nowhere, North Dakota. Thanks for any and all info!

Cafe Brenda Vegetarian-friendly Upscale/Casual New American L, D $$

Chef Brenda Langton entices visitors to Minneapolis' Warehouse District with her very veg-friendly menu, emphasizing whole foods and organics. Don't miss the Organic Warm Mock Duck Salad--glazed ginger and garlic mock duck on a bed of mixed greens, Chinese noodles and veggies in a peanut lemongrass dressing.

300 First Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55401; 612) 342-9230; www.cafebrenda.com

St. Martin's Table Vegetarian Casual Eclectic/International L $$

Organic produce and hormone-free dairy products are transformed into simple, delicious fare by an all-volunteer staff affiliated with the Christian Community of St. Martin. Fresh baked goods, sandwiches and soups are the main draw, in addition to the cafe's relaxed, inviting ambience. If you go, leave a generous tip: All gratuities go to charity.

2001 Riverside Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55454; (612) 339-3920

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...an/ai_58614434

Triple Rock Social Club (629 Cedar Ave., http://www.triplerocksocialclub.com/) - After a major renovation that tripled its performance space, it is clear that Triple Rock Social Club is not just any old dive where your shoes stick to the floor. The crowd comes from the University of Minnesota and beyond. It still has all the things loyalists come back for - an old-fashioned jukebox, pinball machine, punk rock music, and junk food with a vegan twist. This is a punk rock palace with class and loyal customers. With a space addition that triples its size and allows live music, expect more of the same great place.

Pizza Luce (119 N. Fourth St. & 3200 Lyndale Ave. S., http://www.pizzaluce.com/) - Everyone needs a good pizza joint to visit in a new city. Pizza Luce would hardly be considered a "joint", but they do boast some damn fine pizza. If you like to pile it on, somewhere around 25-35 toppings and many cheeses are available here. Hoagies, salads, and pastas fill out the extensive, tasty menu. Vegetarian and vegan-friendly? Oh, yes, all the way from appetizers to desserts. Luce also keeps late hours (open until 3:30 am on the weekends) to accommodate the roving bar crowd and partiers who got stuck with chips and dip.

http://www.indie-music.com/modules.p...ticle&sid=4174

Heavenly Soles
    615 W. Lake St., Minneapolis, MN 55408
    (612) 822-2169
    E-mail: shoes@ibm.net

Heavenly Soles offers shoes from Vegetarian Shoes.

Pizza Luce. They've got great vegan pizza and some vegan spaghetti.

Galactic Pizza. They make a vegan pizza with the vegan gourmet cheese. It's pretty good stuff.

Ecopolitan. This is a raw foods, all vegan, mostly organic restaurant, thus it's a bit pricy. My good friend Kristen is a server there.

Seward Cafe. A cooperative with great vegan breakfast. They close at 2pm daily, I think. On thursday, friday and saturday nights, Spokes Pizza runs out of there. They only deliver on bicycles!

The Bryant Lake bowl has some vegan stuff but mostly, that is just a cool place to drink beer and do some bowling, limited to the 21+ crowd.

PM me, if you'd like, when you are getting closer to the visit and I can give you directions around town and such. Have fun!

Oh, I failed to mention that all those places are in Minneapolis. St. Paul is a crappy, non-vegan friendly town. Stay out of there, if possible. Which schools are you going to check out?

Incidentally, I too will be visiting Minneapolis - for a couple days at the end of next week, and again at the beginning of December.

existing thread

Check this eating out in Minneapolis thread out for more reviews of the above restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSt
    St. Paul is a crappy, non-vegan friendly town. Stay out of there, if possible.
    lol, i think that's exactly where my college is. I want to visit St. Kates, but also the other schools like Macalaster and Hamline since they're in the consortium too. I really appreciate the info, i'm excited for my trip now!

Thank you all for the help!

If you go by Macalester, there's a super yummy ethiopian restaurant a few blocks away. I can't remember the name, but they had a great veggie sampler. The name is in the little restaurant guide they have in the building with the cafeteria. Sorry that's so vague.. I've only been there once. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vegan lamb
    lol, i think that's exactly where my college is. I want to visit St. Kates, but also the other schools like Macalaster and Hamline since they're in the consortium too. I really appreciate the info, i'm excited for my trip now!

Thank you all for the help!
    I lived and worked in that area of St. Paul for about eight months. So long as you have transportation (i.e. a bicycle ) or friends with transportation (for giving you a ride on their handlebars or pegs), you'll be fine in STP.

The wierd thing about the twin cities is that there is the Springfield vs. Shelbyville relationship. Few of my Minneapolis friends wanted to come to St. Paul, and when they did, we would just go hang out in Minneapolis. The few times that I invited any of my STP coworkers to go with me to Minneapolis, they refused, saying they "don't go to Minneapolis."

Enjoy the excellent vegan fare!

Quote Originally Posted by attackferret
    If you go by Macalester, there's a super yummy ethiopian restaurant a few blocks away. I can't remember the name, but they had a great veggie sampler. The name is in the little restaurant guide they have in the building with the cafeteria. Sorry that's so vague.. I've only been there once. Good luck!
    Hmm, I've not been. I think that is the same place my friend Kristen has tried to get me to go to, but just didn't work out. Maybe I'll try it next week.

I was just in Minneapolis for my yearly inline skate marathon and vegan food fest. I highly recommend Pizza Luce if you've never been (and for those in MN, you have to go to Duluth sometime to visit the Luce there, which is an awesome new brunch menu that none of the Twin Cities locations have). This time around I went to two places that I'd never been to before, namely Galactic Pizza (good stuff!) and Evergreen Chinese Restaurant (excellent!). Both are omni restaurants that cater to vegetarians and vegans, as are most places in the twin cities.

Interestingly, I am also originally from North Dakota and went to the Twin Cities for college. I hope you'll consider the U of MN as an option. In my opinion, it's the best school for the buck, and probably the best school period, in the cities. On the plus side, it's grown considerably vegan friendly since I attended back in the mid nineties. I have friends who went to most of the smaller liberal arts colleges in the area and I am quite happy about my decision to be a Golden Gopher.