Thread: Publix

Publix

Hey Everybody!

I have been thinking a lot about how it is so difficult to shop being a vegan, at least in Tampa, FL anyway. I end up going to 3 different health food stores in addition to Publix to get the items that I want to buy. So the other day, I thought, "Why not go to Publix and request that they carry all of the products that I like so that I can shop in one spot?" So I compiled a list of things and brought it to Publix. Unfortunately, the person that I spoke to wasn't sure which items would be approved by Publix. So, I wrote corporate the following email on their website, and I am still waiting to hear back from them:

"Hello, Yesterday I visited my Publix store with a list of items that I would like to be stocked. The person that I spoke to said that only the items approved by Publix would be able to be stocked. He asked me if I knew which of the products on my list I had seen at Publix before, but all of the items on my list were items that the store doesn't appear to carry. I am assuming that he meant the brand name or the manufacturer. I am hoping that you might be able to tell me which of my items Publix will approve. I am also hoping that the items that cannot be approved at this time will be sent to the proper person that will hopefully consider them for approval in the future. There are a great number of people who need these types of products and would rather shop at Publix than at health food stores that do not hold the same standards and are not as conveniently located as Publix. Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide. Please let me know an email address or mailing address to which I can send the letter and list that I brought to the store. Thanks!!"

I want to also share my list of "basic" vegan items with you and encourage everyone to write corporate Publix or your local grocery store to request your favorite items. This will provide a more accessible way for non-vegans to be more open to trying these items that don't come from a health food store, and as a result, veganism will become more mainstream. Here is my list (Some Publix stores may already carry some of these items. Please add to this list, as this is just a beginning.):

Tofutti:
    www.tofutti.com or Phone: 908-272-2400

· Pizza Pizzaz - UPC – 086009

Rudi’s Organic Bakery:
    www.rudisbakery.com or Toll Free Customer Service Line: 877-293-0876

· Sandwich Bread - Whole Grains & Fiber - 7 Grain with Flax
    · Artisan Bread - Country French
    · White Hamburger Buns
    · White Hot Dog Rolls

Peanut Butter and Co.:
    www.ilovepeanutbutter.com or Toll Free 1-866-ILOVEPB (456-8372)

· Peanut Butter – White Chocolate Wonderful

Follow Your Heart:
    www.followyourheart.com or 818-725-2820

· Vegenaise “Mayonnaise” – Original – 32 Ounce Jar
    · Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative – Mozzarella and Cheddar Flavors

Alternative Baking Company:
    www.alternativebaking.com or toll-free at 888.488.9725

· Colossal Chocolate Chip Cookies
    · Luscious Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
    · Peanut Butter Persuasion Cookies

Bolthouse Farms:
    www.bolthouse.com

· Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea with Soy Protein - Large Bottle

Spectrum Naturals:
    www.spectrumorganics.com

· Flaxseed Oil, Organic – 8 grams Omega-3 – 24 Ounce Bottle

Rising Moon Organics:
    www.risingmoon.com or phone 541.431.0505

· Garlic And Roasted Veggie Vegan Ravioli
    · Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli

nSpired Natural Foods:
    www.nspiredfoods.com or (510) 346-3860

· Tropical Source 100% dairy free chocolate bars - Rich Dark /3 oz.
    · Tropical Source chocolate chips - Semi-Sweet Chips Dairy Free /10 oz

Gardenburger:
    www.gardenburger.com or 800-243-4403

· Meatless Meatloaf with Broccoli & Red Peppers

Fantastic Foods:
    www.fantasticfoods.com or By Phone: 800-288-1089

· Fast Naturals’ Ready Meals – Spanish Paella – 8 Ounces

Rosina – Celentano:
    www.rosina.com

· Eggplant Parmigiana – 10 Ounce (You may already carry this product, as some Publix stores do)

Boca:
    www.bocaburger.com

· Original Chik’n Nuggets (You may already carry this product, as some Publix stores do)

Turtle Mountain:
    www.turtlemountain.com or 1-866-3TURTLE

· Soy Delicious – Purely Decadent:
    Chocolate Obsession
    Chunky Mint Madness
    Peanut Butter Zig Zag
    Purely Vanilla
    Rocky Road
    Turtle Trails
    · Soy Delicious – Organic:
    Twisted Vanilla Orange

Suzanne’s Specialties:
    www.suzannes-specialties.com or 800-762-2135

· Ricemellow Crème
    · Just-Like-Honey

ZenSoy:
    www.zendon.com

· Vanilla, Chocolate, and Banana Pudding

Road’s End Organics:
    www.chreese.com or Toll Free: 1-877-247-3373

· SHELLS & CHREESE - Semolina Shells and Cheddar Style Chreese Mix
    · Cheddar Style Chreese Mix
    · Mozzarella Style Chreese Mix

Annie’s Naturals:
    www.anniesnaturals.com or Phone: 1-802-456-8866 or 1-800-434-1234

· French Dressing
    · Goddess Dressing
    · Red Wine & Olive Oil – Organic Dressing
    · Tuscany Italian Dressing
    · Organic Ketchup
    · Barbecue Sauce - Original Recipe
    · Organic Mustard - Dijon and Yellow

Amy’s Kitchen:
    www.amyskitchen.com or Telephone: 1.707.578.7188

· Roasted Vegetable Pizza – No Cheese
    · Strawberry Toaster Pops
    · Breakfast Burrito
    · Organic Family Marinara Pasta Sauce
    · Organic Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
    · Organic Minestrone Soup
    · Organic Butternut Squash Soup
    · Organic Chunky Vegetable Soup
    · Organic Fire Roasted Southwestern Vegetable Soup
    · Organic Medium Chili
    · Organic Vegetarian Baked Beans
    · Organic Refried Black Beans
    · Organic Mild Salsa

White Wave:
    www.whitewave.com

· Silk Creamer - Original, Pint
    · Silk Creamer - Hazelnut, Pint
    · Cultured Soy - Banana-Strawberry, 6 oz
    · Cultured Soy - Black Cherry, 6 oz
    · Cultured Soy - Vanilla, 6 oz
    · Cultured Soy - Plain, 32 oz
    · Silk Live! - Strawberry

NOW Foods:
    www.nowcatalog.com or Toll Free (U.S./Canada): 1-877-342-5217 or 1-800-595-6593

· Agar Powder - 2 oz. – Vegetarian Gelatin Substitute

Ener-G Foods:
    www.ener-g.com or Toll-Free 1-800-331-5222

· Ener-G Egg Replacer

Other Items:

· Red Star nutritional yeast - Vegetarian Support Formula
    · Almond milk

I will try to keep everyone updated on the response that I get from Publix. Hopefully, they will start to see that there is a real demand for these items, and life will be much easier on all of us, and we will be easier on the environment by only having to go to one store! Lots of Love!

Wow! Great work! Good luck! I hope they get back to you promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraegrrl
    Wow! Great work! Good luck! I hope they get back to you promptly.
    Thank you! I wrote to them on Thursday, 8/25/05, but still no response. I haven't even sent them a list yet because the email program on their website will only allow 400 characters at a time, so I thought that they would have been able to send me another email address by now. I guess that I am just being impatient. If I don't hear from them by Tuesday, I am going to just send parts of the list in different emails.

You could also try printing it and mailing it. They have to read that stuff, too. They might pay more attention to paper mail, even.
    http://members.cox.net/mikeoscrope/10463-spasticastic.gif

Quote Originally Posted by spasticastic
    You could also try printing it and mailing it. They have to read that stuff, too. They might pay more attention to paper mail, even.
    Yeah, you are right about that. Maybe I will do that instead. I like email better though because it is faster. I guess that it's not always faster though... I bet that I will get a more prompt response through snail mail. Hmm. I think that I will do that instead. So they have to read it huh?

Well, maybe they don't HAVE to read it. These are still big companies, big organizations of people with lots of barriers between them. The CEO doesn't open the mail, or read the email. The person who gets the mail has no power to do what you want, except to possibly pass it to someone else.

I guess if you really want to suceed, you could try to figure out something about the parent organization by calling them. How do they decide what to stock, and who is in charge of that section? Then you could write that specific person a letter, and it would be delivered to his/her office.
    http://members.cox.net/mikeoscrope/10463-spasticastic.gif

Quote Originally Posted by spasticastic
    Well, maybe they don't HAVE to read it. These are still big companies, big organizations of people with lots of barriers between them. The CEO doesn't open the mail, or read the email. The person who gets the mail has no power to do what you want, except to possibly pass it to someone else.

I guess if you really want to suceed, you could try to figure out something about the parent organization by calling them. How do they decide what to stock, and who is in charge of that section? Then you could write that specific person a letter, and it would be delivered to his/her office.
    Yeah. I hope that I can figure out who to write.

If anyone knows who is in charge of this at Publix, let me know and I will send my list directly to them!!

I've been meaning to do this forever! I've never seen/used most of your list, but I do go to a few hfs for various things that I would LOVE to be able to get at publix, with all my other groceries. I keep saying I'm going to beg them to carry stuff for me (especially tofutti & follow your heart products), but never getting around to it. So far I have found out that there is someone in charge of special ordering, but also each dept manager can also special order. You should print your list and take it into the store! Find management and chat with them about it, probably your best bet
    Kelly

teeny tiny tantrums
    -little buttons that are big on cuteness.

How do you make a brain firewall? lex_talionis's Avatar
    I know that some Publix' carry Tofutti, Amy's, Gardenburger, Boca Burger, Fantastic Foods, and Silk.

My parents were/are friends with Tina Johnson, who was corporate treasurer for Publix. I'll ask my Dad if she still is, and if so, can he reintroduce me.

<time passes>
    Ok, she's not there anymore. Just found this, from August 30, 2004 -

PUBLIX -- The highest-ranking female executive at Publix Super Markets is making a transition to a part-time position. Tina Johnson, 45, is stepping down from her position as senior vice president to spend more time with her husband, Dan Johnson, who is retiring.

Sorry.
    “...we Americans can [not] come to terms with our money neuroses without understanding the more florid pathology of the very rich for it is our envy and admiration of the rich that supports their habit and keeps us hooked ourselves”
    -Philip Slater

Veganartist: What a great list. We have called on Publix on several ocassions without success. I would like to add our current line of products to the list plus our new "Moonomor" line of soy cream cheese and soy sour cream which will be released in September. Our Soy Sour Cream will compete with Tofutti Sour Supreme. Our website is naturesdoorfoods.com.

Good luck.

Art

When I lived in Orlando, I shopped at Publix. I found some had more vegan foods than others. I shopped at one off International Drive a few miles from Downtown Disney (sorry don't remember the address) carried the most vegan selections and had a nice organic foods sections: they offered the mainstream brands like Newman's Own, Tofutti, Garden Burger, Boca, Silk, and had a lot of packaged treats like vegan cookies. Maybe some of the other Publix in the Tampa area have these items?
    -San

So, I have been visiting Publix, and they haven't stocked most of what is on my list. I called the manager for an approximate timeline, and he said that "most of the items on your list have been stocked, and as for the other ones, we would have to buy them from the health food stores in the area, and we wouldn't know how often you would need them". That sort of felt like he was telling me that it would be extremely inconvenient for them to do that. Unfortunately, most of the items on my list, in fact, have not been stocked. The only items that have been stocked are SOME of the Annie's Naturals and Amy's Kitchen products, and the Ener-G egg replacer. If you read through the list there are A LOT of other items. I don't even think that they really tried to order them because he told me that they were restocking their organic/natural foods aisle anyway, and I think that he thought that would satisfy me or something. Just because an item is organic doesn't mean that it is vegan. He seemed friendly and somewhat helpful, but I guess that I will have to keep shopping at the health food stores. I guess that isn't such a bad thing, other than the fact that they are SO far from where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by San
    When I lived in Orlando, I shopped at Publix. I found some had more vegan foods than others. I shopped at one off International Drive a few miles from Downtown Disney (sorry don't remember the address) carried the most vegan selections and had a nice organic foods sections: they offered the mainstream brands like Newman's Own, Tofutti, Garden Burger, Boca, Silk, and had a lot of packaged treats like vegan cookies. Maybe some of the other Publix in the Tampa area have these items?
    Yeah most of them do carry most of those brands, but I was hoping that they would be able to carry some of the other items that I can only find at health food stores - Just like basic items that vegans need/want. Bread and Mayo are big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by shedonteatmeat
    I've been meaning to do this forever! I've never seen/used most of your list, but I do go to a few hfs for various things that I would LOVE to be able to get at publix, with all my other groceries. I keep saying I'm going to beg them to carry stuff for me (especially tofutti & follow your heart products), but never getting around to it. So far I have found out that there is someone in charge of special ordering, but also each dept manager can also special order. You should print your list and take it into the store! Find management and chat with them about it, probably your best bet
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lex talionis
    I know that some Publix' carry Tofutti, Amy's, Gardenburger, Boca Burger, Fantastic Foods, and Silk.

My parents were/are friends with Tina Johnson, who was corporate treasurer for Publix. I'll ask my Dad if she still is, and if so, can he reintroduce me.

<time passes>
    Ok, she's not there anymore. Just found this, from August 30, 2004 -

PUBLIX -- The highest-ranking female executive at Publix Super Markets is making a transition to a part-time position. Tina Johnson, 45, is stepping down from her position as senior vice president to spend more time with her husband, Dan Johnson, who is retiring.

Sorry.
    Thanks for trying

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Veganartist: What a great list. We have called on Publix on several ocassions without success. I would like to add our current line of products to the list plus our new "Moonomor" line of soy cream cheese and soy sour cream which will be released in September. Our Soy Sour Cream will compete with Tofutti Sour Supreme. Our website is naturesdoorfoods.com.

Good luck.

Art
    I guess that I had to learn the hard way, eh? I will definitely check out the website!