Thread: Free the Animals

Plant-Based Person

Free the Animals

After much confagulation I decided to post this here rather than the "Arts" forum, since although it's about a book, it's a non-fiction book.

Anyway, Free The Animals is a book written by Ingrid Newkirk, detailing the true story of the North American Animal Liberation Front's formation and early antics.

I'm only about halfway through it, but it's extraordinarily captivating. It truly captures the spirit of why the ALF was formed and gives an insider's perspective that is both captivating in the sense that you can't put it down (like a suspense novel) and convincing in the sense of a well-argued philosophical position.

Truly, I don't think that anyone can claim to be informed enough to be able to form a well-reasoned and educated position regarding the ethics of ALF tactics without reading this book.

But of course, I'm only half-way through it. I just found it so beyond my expectations (being no particular fan of Newkirk or PETA myself, I didn't expect much from this book, and I admit it's earning a new respect for PETA in my eyes, based on what I've learned from this book) that I had to encourage others to read it.

free the animals is what got me interested in ar work when i was 12 or 13. i highly reccomend it to anybody interested in the other side of the coin on what goes on in the underground animal rights movement.
    thank you for bringing this book up, everybody should read it.

That's interesting that you like the book considering your opinion of PETA. I've avoided this book because, quite frankly, I thought that it would be tedious. It's nice to know that it's engaging.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for telling us about it.

although the book was released by ingrid and it does discuss peta a bit and their involvment with the early stages of the alf in north america this book is not about peta whatsoever and in my opinion peta does not play a large role in the story at all. i must say that i am glad that it does represent petas role in it because they were vital, just as they were vital to the huntington life sciences campaign even though they cant touch it right now.