Thread: The Accidental Veg Goes Forth

The Accidental Veg Goes Forth

I'm here from Veggie Boards at the suggestion of a friend.

Here's my tale:

I am a relatively new veggie and am not all the way vegan. Yet. I am working really hard on it. I went veggie last summer when my boyfriend started doing all the cooking. He has been vegetarian for 20 years now which I find incredible. He is not vegan, though and is not interested in becoming so. When I went back to eating meat when John's summer visit ended I became hopelessly sick. I realised that eating meat was not really something I missed enough to make myself sick over. I have had gall bladder issues for some time. Actually ever since I tried the Atkins diet and nearly wrecked that little organ. I manage fine on a low fat diet of mostly veggies/carbs with some soy protein stuff. I have been lactose intolerant since my late-20's so no dairy for me. The odd slip-up here and there for cheese. But I equate cheese and dairy with smoking in health terms and fur-wearing in ethical terms.

I eat the odd locally grown egg too but I am starting to realise there is almost no such thing as an ethically sourced egg. It has been my experience in these last few months of looking and researching how food is made that eating is hands-down the most political act we do on a daily basis. It has been very satisfying to me personally to recognise my power to decide what I eat and where it comes from. My power to effect change. It was with amusement that I passed my local McDonald's this week and noted their change in livery. They now sport a disingenuous green band around the building. You can paint it green but it will still smell of dead cows, Ronald.

My big watershed moment came around Thanksgiving when I viewed footage of hostages in Iraq being beheaded on the same day that I watched footage of "Kosher" slaughter. The sounds the two animals make upon meeting their untimely and violent ends are identical. The rasping, the desperate struggling for their lives. There is no difference between a murdered man and a murdered pig. They are both murders and they look the same on camera. That was it for me. I had maybe been toying with my vegetarianism up until that point, telling myself it was merely healthier for me but from that point forward it was an ideological shift I do not think I could renounce without it being an extreme circumstance of survival for me.

I currently struggle with trying to raise my daughter vegetarian but since she is split between two homes, one of which is omni, I am encountering real difficulty with it. I struggle each day to remove animal products from my life but I must be truthful that it is a struggle. I have serious problems with giving up my leather shoes, for example, but I understand how unsupportable a position it is and that I must have the courage to stick with my professed convictions. I am at times deeply unhappy in my struggling and at other times I am thrilled with what I have learned about life and about myself. It's tough stuff but it's good stuff. You know?

And that's my story.

tiny careful adventure fire bluedawg's Avatar
    welcome to VRF, AccidentalVeg! really great story, thanks for sharing.

i can understand how it's a struggle, but i think you'll find it gets easier... as does the shoe-shopping! and speaking of shoes, i think you might like this thread right here...

Thanks! I am showing off my new vegan Merrells today.

http://usaimages.wolverineworldwide....0,0,1&cvt=jpeg

Welcome to VRF! Great story!

As a confessed shoe hussy, I must second bluedawg's suggestion to check out that thread and also suggest that you spend some time browsing at Alternative Outfitters.
    She did nothing in particular and did it very well.

Vegan 'til death, vegan for life. VsXe's Avatar

Don't worry...

I think you'll find that being vegan isn't about beind 100% pure. It's impossible. Unless you do something like self-sustained living. When I went vegan I was going to throw all my leather/wool stuff away. then after I thought about I am like. WTF am I thinking. Wasting meat, leather, milk is worse than eating it! That's why we have such terrible conditions because every super market has to have a fricking-crap-load of meat and milk. Just in case everyone in town needs 15 lbs. of ground chuck. Anyway, I am rambling. Either way being a vegetarian can be more benefitial than veganism. It all depends on how dedicated you are. So no matter what we'll help and support you here! Welcome!

Hey, AV. I recognize you.

Welcome to VRF AccidentalVeg!
    [FONT=Arial]Cherish yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.[/FONT]

Welcome, awsome story, thanks for sharing
    "Kindness is a language we all understand.
    Even the blind can see it and the deaf can hear it."
    -Mother Teresa

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    Welcome!!!!
    wocka wocka wocka

Hey thanks, y'all. Shout out to Arti! Good to see you again.

I do not think I could part with my cashmere sweaters but I don't think I have it in me to buy any more of them They keep me so warm when I am in Scotland.

Thank Goddess for polar fleece is all I can say. I won't go camping without the stuff.

The shoe thing could prove a serious shopaholic issue. I must proceed with caution.

hat-wearing potato eater dropscone's Avatar
    Hi AccidentalVeg - welcome Great story
    Last edited by dropscone; 03-24-2005 at 03:19 AM.
    "Like a cloud of blossoms falling
    Ain't it such a gorgeous morning?
    Hold your breath and reach for the blue"
    Blossoms Falling - Ooberman

Hey Girl!
    Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.
    --George Bernard Shaw