Thread: Do birds get lonely?

Do birds get lonely?

My vet has a little canary in a cage in his office. I'm quite sure the bird is lonely - I would be too if I was him. When I've mentioned this to my vet he says 'no, the bird is fine.' And I understand from staff that he says if they bring another bird the canary would stop singing (as he does all day.) A friend of mine told me birds sing in cages when they are lonely, so . . . I'm just trying to find information on birds and how they should be with a friend. Any suggestions?

I had a cockatiel for 7 years. She was the most co-dependant thing I've ever seen in my life. If I was gone for a weekend I'd get all the missed affection in spades when I got back. Yes, birds get lonely. From my observation; far more (easily) than cats or dogs.
    look at me still talking, when there's science to do
    when I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you
    I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
    on the people who are still alive

When I was young I knew everything... WadesMommy's Avatar
    I've had cockatiels, finches and parakeets. They DO get lonely, and LOVE having other birds with them. I've never heard that a bird that sings is lonely. We've had birds who sing and birds who don't, with other birds or not. It just depends on the bird. The bird might feel it has a lot of company because of all the people and animals in the office with him. As long as the bird's cage isn't in a draft and the bird isn't plucking it's feathers or anything, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Live and let live.

~Robin