Thread: Whipped cream and the Thunderstick Pro

Whipped cream and the Thunderstick Pro

This might be a stupid question. I've seen the infomercial for the little hand mixer Thunderstick Pro, they have an aerator attachment where they whip up a little sugar and skim milk into whipped cream. Also, they do something similar with water and a spoonful of instant coffee. Is this total BS? If it's not; has anyone been successful in whipping up soy milk into a vegan whipped cream? Does anyone own one of these things, and is it an otherwise useful appliance?

Thanks in advance!
    look at me still talking, when there's science to do
    when I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you
    I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
    on the people who are still alive

That sounds really awesome!!
    "There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest."
    - Elie Wiesel

Plant-Based Person
    hehe, i wondered the same thing when i saw that infomercial! i didn't get one though. don't those things always have a money back guarantee? maybe you could buy one and if it didn't work, you could send it back. they'd sure get a lot of sales from vegans if it works!

Plant-Based Person
    ok, so i just went and looked up some reviews and here's what one guy said:

"Whipping Milk with the Thunderstick: Another selling point in the infomercial was the ability to whip milk into a rich creamy dessert._ To my mild surprise, the Thunderstick performs as advertised._ Filling a small glass 1/4 full of SKIM milk and a spoonful of sugar I snapped on the aerating blade._ After a few seconds of up and down blending to incorporate air into the milk, the glass was fill to the brim with a thick creamy dessert._ In texture it resembled the foamy topping of cappuccino ."

notice the sentence i bolded? since when has the foamy topping of cappuccino been anything like whipped cream? it's much thinner, has little substance, and dissipates after a while of sitting around. i'm positive that soy milk will whip up like that (since you can make a soy latte), but if that's all the machine does, then it's not going to turn soy milk into whipped cream. my hopes are dashed again.

Plant-Based Person
    I think the difference is that for whipped cream you use heavy cream (ie, very high in fat) and for the top-of-cappucino stuff you use skim milk (ie, almost no fat). Lookin' at Ye Olde Choco Silk Container, I see 5% total fat, which is roughly comparable to whole milk. Hmmm..... Now I am super curious!!! I don't have one of those hand-mixer thingies, but I've got a regular electric mixer and a blender. Perhaps an experiment is called for? What's the worst that can happen?

I believe coconut milk can make a whipped topping, although I've never tried it. Anyone had any luck?
    -San

Plant-Based Person
    I have a stick blender, though it is not the Thunder Stick, I just tried to whip vanilla Silk but nothing happened. I wonder if Silk coffee creamer would whip?
    Whip cream and merangue (sp?) two things that definitely need a vegan version.

Plant-Based Person
    Originally posted by karabear
    "...In texture it resembled the foamy topping of cappuccino."
    give me an empty tub of EB, half a cup of soymilk, and a good tune or two (john scofield would do) and i can create THAT for ya

why not try the two recipes in How It All Vegan, or this one?
    http://www.vegweb.com/food/sweets/3862.shtml

I saw that infomercial and thought the same as all you.

I tried some tofu whipped cream once and it tasted like utter crap.

There are just some luxuries that I miss.
    -Christina Marie