Thread: Actress backs drug testing on animals

Plant-Based Person

Thumbs down Actress backs drug testing on animals

Actress backs drug testing on animals

Medical researchers should stop apologising about the need for drug testing on animals and the public should be more understanding of its importance to the nation's health, actress Jane Asher said today.

She said that unless people were willing to renounce virtually all medical intervention for themselves, their families and even their pets, arguments against using animals in research were unsustainable.

And she attacked the idealism of animal rights protesters as unrealistic and called on schools to do more to help youngsters understand the importance of scientific discovery.

Ms Asher, patron of the charity Seriously Ill for Medical Research (SIMR), was speaking at a meeting in London organised by the Coalition for Medical Progress.

"Looked at from the practical point of view, it's very hard to see how any rational person can object to carefully controlled, humanely conducted experiments used to develop drugs and medical techniques to benefit mankind," she said.

"Unless they are willing to accept inadequately tested, and therefore highly dangerous and unpredictable, drugs and treatments, then the practical argument against is untenable.

"I find it almost impossible to believe that any reasonable person could continue to call for a ban if they were to be confronted with the realities of just what they were advocating."

Ms Asher pointed out that the UK had some of the most stringent and well-monitored regulations on animal testing in the world and animals were only used where there was no alternative.

"I believe that some form of animal testing will be needed for many years to come, and we shouldn't have to apologise for that," Ms Asher said.

She added: "I wouldn't want to wish serious pain or illness on anyone, but when I see misguided young people attacking research institutes or attempting to free laboratory animals, you can't help wishing that they could see - just for a second - what they are truly advocating."

I'm not even going to comment on all of the faulty points, I'd just like to say; OMG, is anyone really that stupid?!
    You never believe me when I say stupid things! - Jenn

I'm not even going to comment on all of the faulty points, I'd just like to say; OMG, is anyone really that stupid?!
    Yes....or at least that ignorant.

Unless they are willing to accept inadequately tested, and therefore highly dangerous and unpredictable, drugs and treatments,......
    By definition this is the consequence of animal testing of drugs and most treatments, not what is being avoided.

May peace and joy be with all living beings.
    Vegit-8
    Live with compassion and respect.

Someone should send Ms Asher a copy of the book Sacred Cows & Golden Geese...

now I am
    Man, it makes me so mad to read stuff like that. I have to deal with it every day since I'm finishing my ph.d. at a university that kills several hundred thousand vertebrate animals every year and my schoolmates are the ones doing the experiments and the killing. I can't even start to count the "conversations" I've had with these people trying to get them to see what they are doing, to think about where they're research will lead, how it will benefit human or animal health in any way or alleviate sufferring but they don't really care. All I get from them are stupid arguments like this actress has given. I dream about the day I am no longer officially attached to this school and my plan to stand on the steps on the middle of campus with a bull horn and see if I can gather an angry posse to help me go free all of the primates that are in the building next to mine and take them to a sanctuary.

peace, love & understanding chenresig's Avatar
    Originally posted by misanthropy
    Someone should send Ms Asher a copy of the book Sacred Cows & Golden Geese...
    there's two ways to go here, we could just condemn this woman for her views, or we could try to help her see the situation from another perspective. remember, we don't know what prompted her to say these things, her own experiences etc. may be she has friends or family who died from illnesses she, misguidedly perhaps, believes animal research is essential for finding the cure. tha pro animal experimentation lobby is very persuasive and powerful and ironically often uses much more emotionally charged arguments than us "bunny lovers"

so, no, i won't condemn her. but i think i will send her my copy of "sacred cows..." if i can find a contact address for her
    "There is no place the moon does not shine, But it only illuminates in the heart of those who gaze at it"
    Honen

pogue
    Gotta wonder if "Seriously Ill for Medical Research" and "Coalition for Medical Progress" aren't UK kin to "Americans for Medical Progress". AMP has the look and feel of a "grass-roots" non-profit charity, but it is in fact a "front" group for the vivisection industry in the US. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if there's something similar going on across the pond. The question, then, is whether this actress is a willing shill for the industry, or just a dupe, thinking she's supporting something wholesome and grass-roots.

members of the CMP:

Medical Research Council
    Association of Medical Research Charities
    Wellcome Trust
    Biosciences Federation
    Research Defence Society
    The Academy of Medical Sciences
    Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry
    BioIndustry Association
    British Pharmacological Society
    The Physiological Society
    Amicus
    AstraZeneca
    Aventis
    Genetic Interest Group
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Huntingdon Life Sciences
    IAT
    LAVA
    Lilly
    Merck
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    SIMR
    Wyeth
    The author, E. W. Whitmarsh is a leading biochemist, well-known for his work with bemins and cemins. He is also credited with the discovery of memims.

peace, love & understanding chenresig's Avatar
    Originally posted by penfold
    members of the CMP:

Medical Research Council
    Association of Medical Research Charities
    Wellcome Trust
    Biosciences Federation
    Research Defence Society
    The Academy of Medical Sciences
    Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry
    BioIndustry Association
    British Pharmacological Society
    The Physiological Society
    Amicus
    AstraZeneca
    Aventis
    Genetic Interest Group
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Huntingdon Life Sciences
    IAT
    LAVA
    Lilly
    Merck
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    SIMR
    Wyeth
    oh that's okay then... for one minute i thought there may be a conflict in interests

LOL!
    The author, E. W. Whitmarsh is a leading biochemist, well-known for his work with bemins and cemins. He is also credited with the discovery of memims.