Thread: Let's revive PBP!

Let's revive PBP!

A crazy idea, huh? Any thoughts on how to do it? I miss PBP. I think we never really reached a critical mass.

Cute little sweet Lentil.

I had an idea about resurrecting this site...but I wondered if web forums are even valid in today's social network marketplace?
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

I think forums are still relevant. But then again, I have never really gotten into Twitter, and really only use Facebook for "friends" I know IRL, so perhaps I am a bit anachronistic in regard to social media. Veggieboards is still pretty active, but filled with vegan purists and no oil/no fatty plant foods fad dieters. The PPK is also going strong, but of course more focused on food. There is a fair amount of pseudoscience/antiscience going on in the non food areas (all the cosleeping with babies really bugs me).

I'm afraid the target audience for PBP might be vanishingly small.

Well, that's good to know. I wasn't sure because it seems so many boards are going dead these days. I hope the target audience for PBP is growing and I'm not throwing in the towel yet, it's on my list! Thanks for starting this thread though, it's reinvigorating!
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I think forums are still relevant. But then again, I have never really gotten into Twitter, and really only use Facebook for "friends" I know IRL, so perhaps I am a bit anachronistic in regard to social media. Veggieboards is still pretty active, but filled with vegan purists and no oil/no fatty plant foods fad dieters. The PPK is also going strong, but of course more focused on food. There is a fair amount of pseudoscience/antiscience going on in the non food areas (all the cosleeping with babies really bugs me).

I'm afraid the target audience for PBP might be vanishingly small.
    Yeah over at veggie boards if i criticize something I get told that "the scientific method and your ideas of what constitutes burden or proof is quite silly and unreasonable." and "You regurgitate "scientific" studies like Christian fundies regurgitate Scripture."

I nearly pissed my pants over that second one.

I like the PPK, its the best one goign these days and a large percent are quite skeptical, many times ive seen a alt med thread of some sort and go in to comment only to see someone already linked to Science Based medicine or QuackWatch and posted a study or two. Its nice to see how quick woo gets smacked down there. There arent totally focused on food they have numerous subforums not about food, perhaps it would be easier to increase the traffic there that build a new critical mass.

There is also the possibility of increasing vegan presence on established skeptic boards like SGU or JREF

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Well, that's good to know. I wasn't sure because it seems so many boards are going dead these days. I hope the target audience for PBP is growing and I'm not throwing in the towel yet, it's on my list! Thanks for starting this thread though, it's reinvigorating!
    I could still be wrong, for sure. I like the feeling of cozy home a message board has, as opposed to Twitter or Facebook, which are more like projecting your thoughts into the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by Soymilk_Gun View Post
    Yeah over at veggie boards if i criticize something I get told that "the scientific method and your ideas of what constitutes burden or proof is quite silly and unreasonable." and "You regurgitate "scientific" studies like Christian fundies regurgitate Scripture."

I nearly pissed my pants over that second one.
    LOL. I was following that. It was...interesting..! I have made liberal use of the "Block user" function, and my veggieboards world has become a happier place.

Quote Originally Posted by Soymilk_Gun View Post
    I like the PPK, its the best one goign these days and a large percent are quite skeptical, many times ive seen a alt med thread of some sort and go in to comment only to see someone already linked to Science Based medicine or QuackWatch and posted a study or two. Its nice to see how quick woo gets smacked down there. There arent totally focused on food they have numerous subforums not about food, perhaps it would be easier to increase the traffic there that build a new critical mass.

There is also the possibility of increasing vegan presence on established skeptic boards like SGU or JREF
    I enjoy the PPK as well, but it's always seemed a bit clique-y somehow. I have noticed the prevalent skepticism, but certain topics are not criticized as frequently. For example, all of the gluten free BS and anything to do with babies. I haven't really frequented those skeptic boards you mentioned. Maybe I will sometime when I have time and I run out of my usual interwebs to peruse.

Protist-Based Person The.Protist's Avatar
    to be found growing from mid-tide of the intertidal zone (the area between the high tide and low tide) to depths of 20 m or more in both sheltered and exposed shores.

Lightbulb Social Media

Let's replace it with chatroulette.

--
    The Protist
    "Love is like seaweed; even if you have pushed it away, you will not prevent it from coming back." --Nigerian Proverb