Thread: crueltyfree/vegan scar treatment (that actully works)

crueltyfree/vegan scar treatment (that actully works)

ok, so this is sort of a touchy subject for me. sense i was 11 years old iv dealt with moderate acne. i have been teased a lot for it and it's the flaw that bothers me most about my appearance. i have tried those chemically loaded over the counter products(acnefree, clean and clear, clearasil, etc) and none of them have seemed too work. i have been looking into some crueltyfree/natural skin care products that seem promising. and as soon as i get enough money together, i,ll probably buy them. but im a little concerned about those so called ''scar removal treatments''.
    i have been looking for something that will clear up the acne marks on on my back(i have a tone of those ugly little black and brown spots on my lower back) , but most of the cruelty free scar removal creams get bad reviews. the biggest complaint that these reviewers make is that the products dont work. iv asked my mother if she could take me too a dermatolgist , but she said we cant afford too see one right now. she keeps insisting that if i just let my back be exposed too a little sunlight for a while, that it will clear up the scars. however, i really doubt this will really work.
    i could really use a good and effective cruelty free scar treatment.any suggestions? please? every time i look at my back i feel like i want too cry. that's how bad it is. i dont know where else too turn.
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

- Dr seuss's the lorax, 1971

Protist-Based Person The.Protist's Avatar
    to be found growing from mid-tide of the intertidal zone (the area between the high tide and low tide) to depths of 20 m or more in both sheltered and exposed shores.
    I didn't think anything removed scars. I don't know for sure though. I think scars are cool though. I have some chicken pox scars and places where i was stitched up on my face and its the part of my face i like the most. Maybe I'm weird. Active acne doesn't really have an affect on me either. I mean, we all get it, right?
    --
    The Protist
    "Love is like seaweed; even if you have pushed it away, you will not prevent it from coming back." --Nigerian Proverb

ok, i think i may have interpreted something. when i said ''scars'' i actually meant ''marks''. scars are more indented into the skin, marks just look like spots. so i think what i actually need is something that will bleach the skin on my lower back.
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

Plant-Based Person
    If it is any consulation, I can tell you that I eventually grew out of my acne prone years (decade).

While I did have the problem the best solution for me was daily scrubbing with run of the mill soap using a CVS facial scrub pad (like what you clean telfon pans with, but softer)

I think the best bet would be to see a dermatologist. Short of that, I certainly wouldn't spend much on anything unless you're pretty sure it's going to work. I wouldn't really expect anything over the counter to have much better results than a simple moisturizer.

I'm wondering -- do you still have active acne in that area, or is it just the hyperpigmented marks? If you still have some acne going on, the first step would be dealing with that. If it's just old marks/scars, you may find that the marks fade over time, though slowly. I've certainly found that skin marks and scars I had when I was a teenager have faded considerably, but it took 5-10 years, which certainly is a long time to wait if you are feeling really self conscious.

Hi, Mistreat. Don't feel bad about those acne marks because you are certainly not alone. I used to suffer from a severe case of acne during my teenage years and the worse part of it was I've had them on my face. Just image the unsightly marks they left after they healed. Of course, I resorted to see a dermatologist to address the acne, but of course I can't financially sustain continuous treatment because it's very expensive, so after the acne were gone I stopped seeing my dermatologist. After that, my main issue was how to get rid of the post-inflammatory pigmentation (marks). I've used herbal remedies because I think they are safer. I combined lemon juice and honey and applied it on my face regularly. Then, I also purchased Whiterderm skin lightening cream and use it in conjunction with lemon juice and honey. Such a treatment combination made my acne scars less visible. But, just a reminder, the treatment takes times. To prevent the recurrence of the acne, I suggest that you drink plenty of water because the source of the trouble of acne is dehydration or skin dryness. Also eat healthy foods and exercise.

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    I don't have a lot to say about this at the moment, but I sympathize. All I can suggest is keeping the area clean, but avoiding harsh cleansers. Maybe use a cleanser for sensitive skin? Also, like your mom suggested, from what I remember, some types of acne can be improved by exposing the area to a little sunlight. Good luck!
    wocka wocka wocka

unfortunately, yes. i do still have current acne in that area as well. right now im trying to treat my acne with the generic version of neutrogena's oil free cleanser. it seems to have helped a little bit, but not a lot. im also trying to drink a lot more water(trying to kick my diet Pepsi habit!). im gonna ask my mother again if she can take me too see a dermatologist. does anyone know how much a dermatologist visit cost with health insurance?

With health insurance, your visit to a dermatologist should be free (or a small copay), but you many need a referral from your primary care doc. But perhaps you mean without health insurance? You'd have to ask the particular clinic, but the visit will probably be less than you might think. Prescriptions could be the real problem -- some of the newer treatments aren't available as generics.

Although seeing a dermatologist would be best if you can arrange it, primary care doctors can prescribe acne treatments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    With health insurance, your visit to a dermatologist should be free (or a small copay), but you many need a referral from your primary care doc. But perhaps you mean without health insurance? You'd have to ask the particular clinic, but the visit will probably be less than you might think. Prescriptions could be the real problem -- some of the newer treatments aren't available as generics.

Although seeing a dermatologist would be best if you can arrange it, primary care doctors can prescribe acne treatments as well.
    i did mean ''with'' insurance.the reason why i asked that was because my mom keeps insisting that we cant afford too see a derm right now(even though we have insurance). she just probably doesnt realize that health insurance covers things like skin issues too
    Last edited by mistreat; 08-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LGamble View Post
    Hi, Mistreat. Don't feel bad about those acne marks because you are certainly not alone. I used to suffer from a severe case of acne during my teenage years and the worse part of it was I've had them on my face. Just image the unsightly marks they left after they healed. Of course, I resorted to see a dermatologist to address the acne, but of course I can't financially sustain continuous treatment because it's very expensive, so after the acne were gone I stopped seeing my dermatologist. After that, my main issue was how to get rid of the post-inflammatory pigmentation (marks). I've used herbal remedies because I think they are safer. I combined lemon juice and honey and applied it on my face regularly. Then, I also purchased Whiterderm skin lightening cream and use it in conjunction with lemon juice and honey. Such a treatment combination made my acne scars less visible. But, just a reminder, the treatment takes times. To prevent the recurrence of the acne, I suggest that you drink plenty of water because the source of the trouble of acne is dehydration or skin dryness. Also eat healthy foods and exercise.
    thanks