Thread: Eat To Live success stories?

Eat To Live success stories?

I have been struggling to lose weight as a vegan for years.. I eat too much junk. carbs, vegan brownies, vegan cookies.. blah blah. I also have clinical depression. I just would love to hear some success stories from people who have done ETL and have beat obesity and depression.... TIA!

I have been following Dr Fuhrman's Eat-to-Live ideas for almost 3 years now. I love it. I lost weight, my cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, bone density etc are all excellent.

The first thing you gotta do is stop eating the junk - the cookies, burgers, etc. Not only are you not getting much nutrition from them, they are also harming you. If you have a sweet tooth, like me, make yourself a decadent smoothie: raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, banana, ground flaxseeds, a few leaves of baby spinach and a tablespoon of raw almond butter. You'll love it! It's plenty sweet, but this way you get your vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids...

I actually track my nutritional intake on Cron-o-meter. I enjoy it, and it helps me stay motivated. I make sure I satisfy all my nutritional needs - protein, fiber, fat, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, phytosterols...

Make sure you eat your leafy greens. They are the healthiest foods on the planet. Just today I made "crispy kale chips": kale leaves, coated with olive oil and liquid aminos and roasted in the over for 20 minutes at 250*F. Yummy! Also, add spinach, collard greens, mustard greens to your stews. Speaking of stews, make sure you eat legumes every day: beans, lentils, split peas, soybeans. These are the best sources of protein we have.

Eat about two ounces of nuts/seeds a day: almonds (or almond butter), one Brazilnut (for the selenium), pistachios, sunflower seeds, toasted sesame seeds, peanut butter, pumkin seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds (good sources of omega-3s).

Mushrooms are not technically veggies (they are fungi), but they are a superb source of B vitamins and selenium. So, I try to eat them daily. Plus, they are 37% protein!

Limit your whole grains to rolled oats, quinoa and wild rice. Grains are not terribly nutrient-dense, they are hard to digest, and most are too low in the amino acid lysine. I do enjoy teff occasionally, though, simmered in chocolate soymilk, with berries, banana and nuts. To die for!

I think eating healthy is actually fun. And then when I eat vegan junk food, I actually feel gross... Go for it! You'll love it!