Thread: PETA

PETA

unless you'v been living under a rock or were in a coma for the last twenty years, you'v probably heard of the people for the ethical treatment of animals. so im not gonna even bother explaining who they are. sadly , PETA has become a joke too most people because of there very radical campaigns and ads and what not. i think im one of the only people out there who actually supports them and doesn't see them as a joke. true, they do exaggerate the health benefits of going vegan, but at least they tell it like it is about factory farming and other animal rights issues. another complaint i often hear from people about PETA is there use of scare tactics. true, the pictures and videos they show on their sites are very graphic and often very disturbing. but , well, it's the truth! like my Favorite quote from the book skinny bitch says, ''you don't want to see it, but you,ll eat it?''
    what are your opinions about PETA?

another reason too like PETA, they have the cutest stickers http://www.petacatalog.com/products/...9.html:happy::
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

- Dr seuss's the lorax, 1971

I am sort of neutral. I think they are very good at getting people's attention with their scantily clad women and crazy antics. I'm just not sure anyone changes the way they think about animals because of it.

I do like some of the resources on their website (the accidentally vegan list, for example).

Protist-Based Person The.Protist's Avatar
    to be found growing from mid-tide of the intertidal zone (the area between the high tide and low tide) to depths of 20 m or more in both sheltered and exposed shores.
    They are pretty irrelevant in my life. Though I didnt know about the accidentally vegan list. If it's as user-unfriendly as the animal testing lists I won't even bother.
    --
    The Protist
    "Love is like seaweed; even if you have pushed it away, you will not prevent it from coming back." --Nigerian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by The.Protist View Post
    They are pretty irrelevant in my life. Though I didnt know about the accidentally vegan list. If it's as user-unfriendly as the animal testing lists I won't even bother.
    true, there ''no test'' list does suck sense they put a lot of 50% cruelty free companies on there list. i perfer the leapingbunny.org's list. there list is more trust worthy.
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

Plant-Based Person
    ^ By "50% cruelty free" do you mean a product made by, for instance, a "Cruelty-free subsidiary of a parent company that does not comply with the Leaping Bunny Standard", a product that has been promised not to have been tested on animals (but made with sub-ingredients that have been animal tested by another company, at least in the past), a product that neither it nor its sub ingredients have been animal tested however some of the ingredients themselves are vegetarian animal products (like honey or lanolin), or something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

P.S. Love your Alice Walker quote. It best encapsulates my reason for being a vegan. Animals should be free. No exceptions.

[QUOTE=Mahk;443803]^ By "50% cruelty free" do you mean a product made by, for instance, a "Cruelty-free subsidiary of a parent company that does not comply with the Leaping Bunny Standard", a product that has been promised not to have been tested on animals (but made with sub-ingredients that have been animal tested by another company, at least in the past), a product that neither it nor its sub ingredients have been animal tested however some of the ingredients themselves are vegetarian animal products (like honey or lanolin), or something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

P.S. Love your Alice Walker quote. It best encapsulates my reason for being a vegan. Animals should be free. No exceptions.[/QUOTE

thanks for the compliment on the quote i chose ^^. and when i say ''50% cruelty free'', i mean companies that don't test on animals, but buy there ingredients that do test on animals(both Revlon and Avon do this). and as far a cruelty free subsidiary of a parent company, well, that depends for some people. tom of maine for example, is a completely cruelty free company. non of there products or there products ingredients were tested on animals. however, tom of Maine happens to also be owned by Colgate(they were brought out in 2005). sadly, this is the same with Burt's and bees and the body shop.(Burt's and bees is owned by Clorox, and the body shop is owned by l o real). so that one really depends on what your definition of ''cruelty free '' is.

Plant-Based Person
    So the second of the options I mentioned:

"a product that has been promised not to have been tested on animals (but made with sub-ingredients that have been animal tested by another company, at least in the past)"

Right?

You mention Revlon and Avon. Have you a link to a watch group that explains how they, and other companies they list, fit this "50%" category?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mahk; 07-31-2011 at 02:14 PM.

im accusing Revlon of being an only ''50% cruelty free company'' because they refuse to open up there animal testing policey too the CCIC. plus, 60% of there company is owned by macandrews&forbes. which is a pharmaceutical company. the same goes for avon. not only does avon refuse to open it's animal testing policey too the CCIC, they also have this bullshit ecuse of ''we only test on animals when required by law''. what the fuck? here http://shop.avon.com/shop/faq.asp?le...mpany&disp=Y#8 .

Plant-Based Person
    I wasn't looking for information on Revlon or Avon in particular, or their stated policies and whether they do or don't adhere to them, I was looking for the name of the watchdog organization you look to where you gained knowledge about them. It's not like one can pick up a container of shampoo at a store and on it it reads, "Our company is 50% cruelty free". Ha ha. You must have learned about this stuff from some source. I was asking what your source was.

As best I can tell, leapingbunny.org lists companies that they feel meet their criteria of compliance, but they don't have a "black list" of companies that refused them, nor does a search of "Avon" or "Revlon" link me to anything at their site. You seem to know a lot about this and more than what I can find on my own at leapingbunny.org .

Quote Originally Posted by Mahk View Post
    I wasn't looking for information on Revlon or Avon in particular, or their stated policies and whether they do or don't adhere to them, I was looking for the name of the watchdog organization you look to where you gained knowledge about them. It's not like one can pick up a container of shampoo at a store and on it it reads, "Our company is 50% cruelty free". Ha ha. You must have learned about this stuff from some source. I was asking what your source was.

As best I can tell, leapingbunny.org lists companies that they feel meet their criteria of compliance, but they don't have a "black list" of companies that refused them, nor does a search of "Avon" or "Revlon" link me to anything at their site. You seem to know a lot about this and more than what I can find on my own at leapingbunny.org .
    iv gotten my information from the livingcrueltyfree.com. on that site(well, blog) they talk a lot about this kind of stuff. you can visit there site and see for yourself.

Plant-Based Person
    Site seems down at the moment, but thanks.

http://www.livingcrueltyfree.com
    ---

To all:

For the record I oppose animal testing, 100%, however the majority of anti animal testing sites I've examined, I can't stand either. They often use sketchy and hypocritical logic as to what to boycott and often attack animal testing not on moral/ethical grounds but instead using pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo. This would be analogous to arguing that people shouldn't kill animals for food because meat has "no nutritional value". Um, yes it does. From my perspective, people who make such arguments are an embarassment to our cause.

It's probably best for another thread though, should anyone wish to discuss it. [Also, I don't mean to brag, but I've studied it in depth. Should anyone have any questions, I'm well read on the topic and I would think finding a vegan like me who is rather knowledgable about the who, , what, where, why, and "how much" aspects of animal testing might be a rare treat for some of you who are curious about it but have been afraid to ask. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about it.]
    Last edited by Mahk; 08-01-2011 at 12:21 AM.