Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Green Fest

  1. #1
    Anti-anti-vacccine Dandelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    13,878

    Green Fest

    I'm starting this thread to talk about Green Fest because Soymilk_Gun mentioned it in the chat.
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

  2. #2
    Plant-Based Person Soymilk_Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oakland, Ca
    Posts
    112
    Did anyone else go? It was so woo filled, truthfully between the woo and the corporate crap there wasnt a lot to keep me occupied, I only stayed for maybe two hours. I think I enjoyed the anarchist book fair I went to earlier in the day better. It was still a pretty cool thing to see considering it was free (w/ a recipe from Rainbow Grocery). My girlfriend is outta town so I just had a big day out by myself, first the book fair, the got some pear juice (for the recipt) then the green fest, then laughed at the Scientologists who were giving stress tests in the transit station.
    Some things I saw there: Healing crystals (mostly not crystals but rather molded acrylic), chai seed drinks (superfood...?), acupuncture, rolfing (painful massage), some one promoting biodynamic tea, wheatgrass, LOTS of chemophobia whether warranted or not, plenty of anti-nuclear pushers, a "9/11 Truth & cookies" booth (this one PISSED me off). There was also one cannabis club with a booth there, they weren't even trying for the environmental spin, they were just like "this is GREEN medicine". But we could discuss for hours what aspects of the decriminalization and the use of medical marijuana are and are not woo, ect.

    One of the highlights for me was the Vegan corndog, my first non homemade one since I went vegan (about 7 years) I think. Quite yummy, even went back for a second to bring home but there were out by then.

  3. #3
    Plant-Based Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,219
    Do you think if I attended they would let me set up a "Learn how pseudoscience and snake oil is destructive, harmful, and has nothing to do with veganism!" booth and let me participate as well, or do the people running it see it as simply a money making venture, so my antagonism to almost half of their other booths would obviously be unwelcomed (and I'd be denied entry)? Never been to one so I don't know what it is all about.
    Last edited by Mahk; 04-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.

  4. #4
    Anti-anti-vacccine Dandelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    13,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Soymilk_Gun View Post
    Did anyone else go? It was so woo filled, truthfully between the woo and the corporate crap there wasnt a lot to keep me occupied, I only stayed for maybe two hours. I think I enjoyed the anarchist book fair I went to earlier in the day better. It was still a pretty cool thing to see considering it was free (w/ a recipe from Rainbow Grocery). My girlfriend is outta town so I just had a big day out by myself, first the book fair, the got some pear juice (for the recipt) then the green fest, then laughed at the Scientologists who were giving stress tests in the transit station.
    Some things I saw there: Healing crystals (mostly not crystals but rather molded acrylic), chai seed drinks (superfood...?), acupuncture, rolfing (painful massage), some one promoting biodynamic tea, wheatgrass, LOTS of chemophobia whether warranted or not, plenty of anti-nuclear pushers, a "9/11 Truth & cookies" booth (this one PISSED me off). There was also one cannabis club with a booth there, they weren't even trying for the environmental spin, they were just like "this is GREEN medicine". But we could discuss for hours what aspects of the decriminalization and the use of medical marijuana are and are not woo, ect.

    One of the highlights for me was the Vegan corndog, my first non homemade one since I went vegan (about 7 years) I think. Quite yummy, even went back for a second to bring home but there were out by then.
    We went a couple of years ago and even before we walked in we made a list of woo booths we might encounter and played woo-bingo: Pseudoscience & Woo-Woo at the Green Fest 2008

    I tried to get the Chicago Skeptics to do a booth there but nothing came of it so I was gonna do one for Vegan Chicago and maybe do placebo band demonstrations. It's coming up too soon for this year though so I plan to do one at another fest this summer.

    Pseudoscience woo is particularly insidious when it comes to issues that make or break a real world difference like environmentalism or animal rights. We must stay vigilant!
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

  5. #5
    Plant-Based Person Lentil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest, US
    Posts
    529
    Woo-bingo!

    I guess the Chicago one would be closest to me, but it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the drive. I can find plenty of woo in town.

  6. #6
    Anti-anti-vacccine Dandelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    13,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahk View Post
    Do you think if I attended they would let me set up a "Learn how pseudoscience and snake oil is destructive, harmful, and has nothing to do with veganism!" booth and let me participate as well, or do the people running it see it as simply a money making venture, so my antagonism to almost half of their other booths would obviously be unwelcomed (and I'd be denied entry)? Never been to one so I don't know what it is all about.
    The Launceston Skeptics hosted a table at their local woo "Body n Soul" festival and they were welcome probably because the organizer thought they would be a good influence in helping to determine between the real and fake psychics. The Green Fest doesn't seem particularly picky on who they let in. I think a skeptic booth would be just as welcome as a 911Truther booth.
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

  7. #7
    Anti-anti-vacccine Dandelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    13,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Woo-bingo!

    I guess the Chicago one would be closest to me, but it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the drive. I can find plenty of woo in town.
    I should make a bingo card to hand out for the fest eh?
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

  8. #8
    Plant-Based Person Lentil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest, US
    Posts
    529
    That would be awesome!

  9. #9
    I enjoyed the first Chicago Green Fest but since then it's felt way too corporate and focused on buying stuff rather than making greener life choices. There are some amazing speakers, though. If you volunteer for a shift (which is pretty fun) you get in for free. My feeling is that it's not worth paying for but it's worth volunteering and going to hear specific people. You can also check out local groups, which is neat.

    Chicago people, I particularly enjoyed hearing Naomi Davis from Blacks in Green.

  10. #10
    Plant-Based Person Soymilk_Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oakland, Ca
    Posts
    112
    Love the woo bingo idea, had a similar one for Whole Foods. Once I got myself & some local skeptics kicked out of Whole Foods for doing a "tour of woo" around the store after a Ten23 overdose out front. I think they were upset that I handed out a flier to a customer inside who asked for one.

  11. #11
    Plant-Based Person Soymilk_Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oakland, Ca
    Posts
    112
    Went back on Sunday w/ my girlfriend Athena this time. Tickets were $15 bucks but we got in free becuase they had a deal where you bring a recipe from rainbow grocery (which is pricy but a great store) for free entry. This time I noticed a book on Indigo Children & upon explaining it to Athena had to rush her out of the booth as she got stabby. Then Athena got into a debate w/ an acupuncturist about a claim on his poster about "treating HIV", actually his poster didn't say "treat" or "cure", just listed diseases & symptoms. When asked he was quick to say that he "treats, not cures". We got the vegan corndogs again, amazingly yummy, went back for more to bring home but they were out :-(
    On the way out I pointed out an "ayurvedic tshirt" to Athena, apparently all organic cotton & lightly dyed w/ turmeric. It was soft and i liked the color i just found the claims and the price a little silly. The tag listed "anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial" & some other vague benefits, Athena expressed her skepticism that even if turmeric was anti-bacterial that after washing it may not work. One of the event organizers butted into our conversation to explain how if people have sensitive skin the can be allergic to clothing dyes so this works kinda like that and that if you "are like vegan for 40 years & never do drugs or alcohol" that you might be that sensitive. Then she made an comparison to homeopathy, that started a whole new conversation. Once she realized we were oppose to the public funding of homeopathy she got really flustered and said she didn't believe in public funding of surgery. I handed her a flyer for the Ten23 campaign, and told here about it, she didnt seem amused. Athena asked "what if you had appendicitis?" (not knowing about the studies comparing surgery to antibiotics, but that's beside the point). The lady replied " I wouldn't get it"..."but if I did I use acupuncture & Chinese herbs and that would take care of it". She was distracted by another attendee so we took the opportunity to get outta there.

    I did enjoy chatting with the PETA folk. Athena pick up a copy of The Joy Of Vegan Baking from the author. Tried some good vegan chocolate and other stuff like the Earth Balance soymilk.
    Last edited by Soymilk_Gun; 04-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.

  12. #12
    Plant-Based Person panthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,821
    Helping w/Tree House Humane Society. I would never pay to get in, but it's fun to get so many free samples. Of course, the packaging of samples kinda makes me mad, but I take some anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Chicago Zine Fest
    By schmeel in forum Chicago, Il
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
  2. Holiday fest IT event in WW
    By CountAgranoff in forum Portland, Or
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 01:27 AM
  3. I'm doing a read at the fest...
    By CountAgranoff in forum Portland, Or
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM
  4. vegan holiday fest
    By neverfeltbetter in forum Portland, Or
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
  5. Veggie Fest 05
    By ohboysoy in forum Chicago, Il
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •