Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martha Stewart's Vegan Episode

Plant-Based Person
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post
    Yup, Mahk's entitled to his opinion, or his way of approaching veganism, but...
    Defining a word's meaning by referring to the person/organization that coined it out of the blue is "just one approach"? Whatever.

What I did want to point out, however, is that based on this wording I just quoted you as saying about me, some might assume that I take a dogmatic and unquestioning view (or "approach") of veganism by blindly adopting the Vegan Societies' policies and treat my veganism as a belief system or almost a religion/cult. This would be completely incorrect. My only "approach" to veganism is an acknowledgment that the majority of all their practices are already in line with mine so I happen to fit their definition of being vegan. This could change at any moment however because I don't "follow their rules" but rather coincidentally fall under their definition of what this word they invented, "vegan", means.

Although it is true that I don't use honey and Watson and the other founders specifically outlined honey use as not part of veganism as well, my non-use of honey is based on how I feel about animal exploitation and killing bees, not because I blindly accept everything the Vegan Society says as gospel and infallible.

For instance, it turns my stomach that "for your health" and "for the environment" got tacked on to the original animal only related definition, but its their word, not mine, so only they get to define what it is all about. Since I can't think of any ways that veganism is bad for health or environment, I still, but only just barely, consider myself a vegan, however. This very well may be temporary, I suspect.

If new scientific research were to come out that showed veganism was clearly bad for one's health, as an example, yet the Vegan Society refused to accept the general scientific view and defiantly stood by their definition that "it is always good for health, without exception" then I would totally part ways with them and stop referring to myself as vegan.

P.S. Sorry to be off topic, Lentil, however I felt I was being mis-characterized and felt I had a duty to correct it.
    Last edited by Mahk; 04-04-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Sorry if I've offended you, Mahk.

I'm not sure if I'd agree that Watson, or the Vegan Society, necessarily has ownership of the word "vegan", and that they're the only ones who get to define what it means. The word has evolved to mean different things, without the approval of the Vegan Society. I also have misgivings about the way the word has changed - like how vegan often just means dietary vegan now, and Bill Clinton can be considered a vegan even though he eats fish sometimes. Nevertheless, I think it's a good thing that words do this, that our language is not ossified.

I think that the essential point of veganism is more important the original definition, and that point is to not contribute to animal exploitation. While I wasn't suggesting that you mold your life to fit what the Vegan Society thinks you should do, you did defend the authoritative tone of that Stepaniak quote. For me, the fact that the Vegan Society thinks honey is wrong to purchase is irrelevant; I don't purchase it because I know myself that it's wrong. We just happen to be in agreement over this. You make this point, too, but then why even bother with the quote, or with their position, in the first place? Why bother appealing to an authority at all when talking to other people about what being vegan means?

Sorry for being off topic, too, just wanted to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    She will (the latter) if she does (the former).
    We shall see. Last week she had a show featuring vegetarian tarts (although none were vegan, as far as I can tell), and this vegetarian feature is on the main page of the food section of her website. She's always had quite a few vegetarian recipes, though, and definitely not a lot of them are vegan. The pictures are making me hungry though!

Quote Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
    That Ellen clip was retch worthy on a number of levels. Just like most Gardein products.
    I wish Kathy Freston would just go away. Did I say that already? Anyway, it bears repeating. But, I do like some Gardein stuff. It's overpriced, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    We shall see. Last week she had a show featuring vegetarian tarts (although none were vegan, as far as I can tell), and this vegetarian feature is on the main page of the food section of her website. She's always had quite a few vegetarian recipes, though, and definitely not a lot of them are vegan. The pictures are making me hungry though!.
    Wow, that's still great though!

I wish Kathy Freston would just go away. Did I say that already? Anyway, it bears repeating. But, I do like some Gardein stuff. It's overpriced, though.
    I also like the Gardein stuff, makes a great protein compliment for a quick lunch/meal!*

*That sounded shilly.
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

I love gardin stuff, their steak is the best Ive had since Mornignstar seemed to stop selling their streak strips and Whole Foods stopped carrying the Cowgirl . They make great lime/cilantro steak tacos or quesedillas.

Plant-Based Person
    Last week she had a show featuring vegetarian tarts (although none were vegan, as far as I can tell),
    Actually, I think Heather Mills is vegan. *rimshot- Badum-CHING*

Oh pleez, indulge me, how many times in my life am I ever going to be set up to use that joke?

I probably would have LOLed, but I had to look up who Heather Mills was.