Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vegan cats

I am not saying I am against cats ever being vegan-I don't believe there is enough evidence to show it is healthy at this point in time. especially for cats with preexisting health conditions like FIV or severe food allergies.

Vegan humans don't accept that claim because we know there is evidence to the contrary, and lots of it. The same can't be said for cats.

FTR, I did try vegan cat food-both Evolution, which they wouldn't eat at all and Ami, which is kibble and which they eat but which is only available in Canada which makes it too expensive for me to feed them all. Add that all my cats are seniors or special needs and a vegan diet is not a risk I'm willing to take.

As far as eating a vegan diet even if it is unhealthy for you; that's your choice. If you want to be unhealthy, that is your right. If you fed a child a diet that was nutritionally inadequate, you'd run the risk of being arrested for child abuse. I see feeding cats a diet that is unhealthy for them the same way. (This is assuming vegan cat food diets were shown by a preponderance of evidence to be unhealthy.)

I also have a problem with a completely processed diet for cats. A diet of wholly processed food isn't healthy for humans and I suspect it isn't for cats either. I feed my cats high quality food supplemented with meat.

If anyone is interested I have two articles about vegan diets for cats. One is a general article about alternative cat food diets and actually the diet they discuss is vegetarian. The other is an analysis of two.commercially available vegan cat foods. They don't specify the brands but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to figure out from the ingredients list. They compare certain nutrients to the AAFCO recommendations for.minimal nutritional requirements. They are PDF files and I don't think I can post them but is be glad to email them .

so some updates..One of the makers of the more popular brands of vegan dogs and cats foods(Evolution) is going to jail for "58 counts, including practicing human and veterinary medicine without a license and animal cruelty. "
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/06/mr-...ly-prosecuted/
    what an ass

also relevant to the discussion Cats and Carbs
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/06/die...-the-calories/

Quote Originally Posted by Soymilk_Gun View Post
    so some updates..One of the makers of the more popular brands of vegan dogs and cats foods(Evolution) is going to jail for "58 counts, including practicing human and veterinary medicine without a license and animal cruelty. "
    what an ass
    That's pretty sad and scary.
    Last edited by Lentil; 07-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.

what an ass

also relevant to the discussion Cats and Carbs
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/06/die...-the-calories/
    Wow, I can't help but wonder if the Evolution diet I fed my cat led to her ultimate demise.

Weisman brought in a cat he suspected had kidney failure and cancerous lesions, the complaint said. According to the U’s veterinarian, the cat had neither – it died of pneumonia, was unable to absorb nutrients from the food it ate and had broken bones in each of its front legs. The suspected cancerous lesions, the veterinarian said, were actually scabs caused by the cat walking on its joints instead of its broken feet, the complaint said.
    What the mutherfuck?!
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Wow, I can't help but wonder if the Evolution diet I fed my cat led to her ultimate demise.
    Oh no! Did your cat really die of something that you think might be related..? I'm so sorry to hear that.

Protist-Based Person The.Protist's Avatar
    to be found growing from mid-tide of the intertidal zone (the area between the high tide and low tide) to depths of 20 m or more in both sheltered and exposed shores.
    One of the makers of the more popular brands of vegan dogs and cats foods(Evolution) is going to jail for "58 counts, including practicing human and veterinary medicine without a license and animal cruelty. "
    oh what the fuck. Goth dammit.

Both my cats have been on evolution for years, basically for life. They haven't had any health problems, and have seen vets regularly and we have kept the vets informed of everything. What a fail. Now I have to buy Ami which is twice the price. ARG!
    --
    The Protist
    "Love is like seaweed; even if you have pushed it away, you will not prevent it from coming back." --Nigerian Proverb

Have they added any kind of disclaimer to the bags of Evolution or other vegan cat foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Veganscumbag View Post
    Have they added any kind of disclaimer to the bags of Evolution or other vegan cat foods?
    I don't know much about vegan cat diets or Evolution itself (I mean..the cat food), but I don't really see how this food could continue to be sold, disclaimer or not, if it's owned by such a fraud. I mean..I suppose there could be nothing wrong with the food itself, but it sounds like that would be a fluke if it were the case.

this article on veganhealth.com might help a little bit http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vegan_cats . im still sort of on the fence about the idea of a cat being vegan. mostly because there inst a whole lot of scientific evidence too support it. however, i dont think it's completely impossible. if i ever get a cat of my own, i'll probably at least try too feed him/her a vegan diet.if i ever adpot a sick kitty, i'll feed him/her half vegan cat food and half ground up happy meat.
    Last edited by mistreat; 09-16-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

- Dr seuss's the lorax, 1971

another interesting page i found http://www.vegancats.com/pages/1007/FAQ.htm . pretty interesting stuff, don't you think? like i mentioned before, i think this issue still needs a little more research before we start promoting a vegan feline diet. let's cross our fingers!
    ''UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.''

- Dr seuss's the lorax, 1971