Thread: Doctrine of Signatures

Doctrine of Signatures

I dunno if anybody else got waylaid in email or whatever about how vegetables are good for you according to what they look like. Usually it's one of those chain-emails or posts that go something like this:

In that video they glom god onto it.

It actually has a name and it's called the Doctrine of Signatures and it is complete bullshit of course. Anyway, newage hippies eat this shit up especially the likes of the Supreme Master who gives charlatans like this a platform to spew their naive superstitious understanding of the world.

Some vegetables and fruits look like the things they are good for. Sometimes though you have to slice one to see it (like the carrot sliced looks like an eye). I supposed you can work backwards and find something that resembles a part of the human body and find a nutrient that's involved in some way. Also since alotta these foods are human inventions I guess it would take the explanation of a deity to justify the meticulous interventions to get foods to look the way they do. Of course though, if a deity was that clever they suck and not being able to make them look more like the human body parts. Why only kinda similar? Oh, must be one of those mysterious ways.
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

I don't think I can eat carrots anymore.

I had never heard of this - you're opening new doors for me that perhaps I would have preferred to leave closed...! I would have never guessed there was anyone out there who would believe this sort of thing, except maybe a few loony tunes.
    Last edited by Lentil; 03-13-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Who are we to judge? Maybe the people who believe this actually do have bones that look exactly like bok choy and perfectly rounded red blood cells. If so, they're not really human so maybe they've evolved to have body parts that look just like the food they eat. Their science is different than ours.

They also have really spiky hair that is nourished by eating durian and rambutan.

Some interesting things come out of the fact that our desire to make order of the world is so strong but our ability to do so logically isn't as strong.

Plant-Based Person
    Warning: new scientific evidence indicates eating lemons and bananas can lead to jaundice. We now also know eating bananas additionally can lead to scoliosis and curvature of the spine as a side effect of the brain-washing properties they contain. Watch out!

The government's strong arm, the FBI, has been infiltrated by communists in their ongoing efforts to harm us with their insidious use of fluoride, vaccinations, and the secret, military chemical dispersal program in our upper atmosphere leaving the telltale "chem-trails".

Under the Freedom of Information Act I have unearthed unequivocal evidence that they have been suppressing the science reports that link bananas to brain-washing and scoliosis since 1961, in this memo from a one "M. A. Jones" (undoubtedly a pseudonym to protect himself from FBI agents)

http://www.xenu-directory.net/docume...610901a-ds.gif

so that's why you won't find reports of it in scientific journals and your doctor either doesn't know or has been paid hush money not to talk about it, but just look at the striking evidence yourself. A coincidence? I think not!

We obviously know what this poor lad had been eating!

Last edited by Mahk; 03-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    Wow, that's nutty. It kind of reminds me of the Athiests' Nightmare.... (There are also a lot of funny rebuttals on teh internets, if you're interested.)
    wocka wocka wocka

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I had never heard of this - you're opening new doors for me that perhaps I would have preferred to leave closed...! I would have never guessed there was anyone out there who would believe this sort of thing, except maybe a few loony tunes.
    Yeah sorry but I think some of things things are worth being aware of as it's likely someday it will cross your path.

Quote Originally Posted by matriarco View Post
    Some interesting things come out of the fact that our desire to make order of the world is so strong but our ability to do so logically isn't as strong.
    A for effort though, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahk View Post
    Warning: new scientific evidence indicates eating lemons and bananas can lead to jaundice.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiloid View Post
    Wow, that's nutty. It kind of reminds me of the Athiests' Nightmare....
    I like his theory. It dovetails nicely with mine which is: DURIAN IS TRYING EVERYTHING IT CAN DO TO TELL YOU "DON'T EAT ME".