Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puberty

In the wilderness of vegan

puberty

I was told by a friend that he didn't start puberty until he stopped being a vegetarian. We discussed the possibility of this just being a coincidence, but he quite believes that the two are related.

I have read somewhere that meat does encourage puberty to occur earlier; does anyone know what effects a vegan diet can have on the body with regards to puberty? Any reccomended websites?

Cheers,
    Tom

The hormones in meat can cause puberty to start earlier (especially in girls since estrogen is pumped into cows). I first got my period when I was 8 years old, and I used to be a huge meat eater. Puberty seemed to slow down a lot when I became a vegetarian and then vegan (veggie at 8, vegan at 12). My boobs even shrunk!
    How old was your friend when he stopped being a vegetarian? That could make a difference too if he did it at a somewhat younger age, it could almost be merely coincidence.

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    Originally posted by shade
    The hormones in meat can cause puberty to start earlier (especially in girls since estrogen is pumped into cows).
    Ditto for cow's milk. I'm sure it was a coincidence. What, like you have to eat flesh to become an adult? Puberty is not something imposed on us from outside our bodies. Doy!
    Last edited by Emiloid; 07-16-2003 at 02:11 PM.

My best friend immediately comes to mind. Sadly, the girl doesn't eat plants. I mean, there's the occasional bowl of cereal, french fries, and the bread on which she places her slabs of chicken, but she doesn't try to hide the fact that she's a carnivore.
    The difference between my friend and your run-of-the mill, McDonald's-eatin' Midwesterner is much of what she's consumed in her lifetime was raised by her family, free from unnatural hormones and the like. This girl didn't show signs of puberty until high school (abt. age 15)!
    I've read in more articles/books than I'll even attempt counting that in recent decades, each generation has started puberty at an earlier age than the preceding one. My guess is, Jamie (the afore mentioned friend) is more in line with nature than the rest of us (I speak as someone who consumed [hormone-ridden] meat until nearly age 18). Of course there are also individual differences and what you're describing is likely a coincidence. I just thought I'd share!
    Kindness counts!

i've been vegetarian since i was 8, and got my period just before i turned 14. i think that puberty starting earlier has alot to do with all the hormones pumped into cows. but at the same time, i went through puberty the same age that my sister did, and she's been an omnivore her entire life... its probably half genetics, half environment. shade, ur boobs shrunk?? weird.. ahh, maybe thats why im flat! hopefully not.. actually probably not since my mom & my sister are just as blessed as i am

I got my period when I was 8, actually about a month before I became a vegetarian. And yes, cin my boobs shrunk. I want from a D being too small to a B fitting just right.
    My sister got her period when she was 12. She has been an omni her entire life, but has never been a big fan of red meat so hardly ate it, meanwhile I ate TONS of it when I was little.

Soft-hearted fool
    Age at puberty is partly genetic.

I started at 15 (I was an omni back then) but my mom started at 16 (also omni).

I have read that on average vegetarians reach puberty at a later age. Early puberty in girls increases the risk of breast cancer.

Exclamation Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary
    Early puberty in girls increases the risk of breast cancer.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

That's really scary. I definitely need to read up on this more. My daughter is 11 & started last year![/FONT]
    [CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]*(`'.(`'.***.').')*
    `. .[FONT="Verdana"]T A V I A[/FONT]. .`
    *(.'(.'***`'.)`'.)*
    [/FONT]

[FONT="Verdana"]Thoughts Become Things ... Choose The Good Ones[/FONT][/CENTER]

That is really scary. I went to be puberty very early too (age 9 for breasts and hair, age 10 for my period). Also one of my aunts had breast cancer.

Tigerlily, you would be considered at higher risk. Your diet is probably a saving grace.

I also have hormonal problems. I don't think my body produces enough estrogen on it's own (I'm on the pill to regulate that). I don't know if that increases or decreases my chance of breast cancer. My aunt had it in her early thirties and had it for years. Due to the misconception that only older women get it, she didn't find out until it was sort of too late. (She's passed away now)

Plant-Based Person LesMiserablesLove's Avatar
    Puberty is different for everyone. A small percentage of people are late developers, but that is due in part to genetics. When you will begin puberty depends on your own biological clock decided when you were still in your mother's womb. Environment plays a role, though, from what I learned in an adolescent psych class, it takes time and affects later generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary
    I have read that on average vegetarians reach puberty at a later age. Early puberty in girls increases the risk of breast cancer.
    Oh, great.

*started at 5.*

Wow, you really started at 5? Period too?

No, but I had a growth spurt, grew hair, started growing boobs, and my voice dropped. My mom took me to the doctor, who thought I might have a thyroid problem or a tumour on my pituitary gland, so I went to Sick Kid's Hospital for all sorts of tests. In the end they concluded that I'm fine.

I got my period at 11 years old, and by then I was as tall as I am now (5'7). I always towered over my peers!

I've lost most of my boobs since going vegan, but that's only because I lost 80 pounds since going vegan and therefore I lost most of my everything