Thread: Stray Rabbit

Stray Rabbit

I was taking Indy for a potty walk tonight and he was sniffing around the lawn in a grassy/landscaped area of our apartment complex. I notice a large, floppy eared rabbit. So does my dog, so I scoop him up. This was a good choice, because the rabbit starts hopping towards me. I run off, and the rabbit chases me for a bit (I start thinking of Jimmy Carter's rabbit encounter). I get back to my apartment ( with a very confused dog in tow) and collect my husband. We go back and the bunny is still there, digging in the dirt and sniffing at the plants. I went back and got a carrot, a box, and towels. The bunny eats some of the carrot and I can get close enough to touch him (or her, but I think of the bunny as a "he"). I remember that the property manager has rabbits, so I go and ring the doorbell attached to the patio. Her kid comes to the gate.

"You guys have rabbits, right?"
    "Yes"
    "Are you missing any?"
    "No."
    "Okay, because there is a rabbit out there ::gestures:: that's not a wild rabbit."
    "Is it grey?"
    "um, yeah"
    "We know." And then he quickly closes the door.

WTF. If you have rabbits, you should know that pet bunnies have really scared and short lives when let go outside like that. Its been really hot too, which is worrisome. I go back and told my husband what happened. We tried to catch the bunny, but didn't have much luck. I was able to pet him, but even well-treated bunnies aren't always big fans of being picked up. I know that they can seriously hurt themselves kicking if picked up incorrectly, so we were being careful (and also did not want to get bitten). After 20 minutes or so we gave up because the bunny was starting to get nervous and ran under a bush. I left the rest of the carrot for him.

I don't really want to call animal control, but the Humane Society and the SPCA here don't have a whole lot of resources. There is a rabbit rescue called the Bunny Bunch near here that I'm going to call. I'm also going to call our vet's office and see if they have a cat/dog carrier we can borrow. This website: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rescue.html also had some bunny catching info.

If anyone has any bunny experience and has any input, it would be much appreciated. If anyone knows someone in Orange County, CA that is knowledgeable about bunnies and would like to try and catch this one, let me know. I really know nothing about rabbits other than that they are sort of fragile and stress easily.

I'm also super pissed at the property manager for knowing about this and not giving a shit. And honestly, her kid was a rude little punk. If someone asked me if I were missing a pet, I would be thankful that someone was looking out of them. This is the 8th or 9th time I've found/caught/or tried to catch a stray animal in the apartment complex. The world is full of assholes. At least the nobody's decided to cut the bunny's ears off yet. When I was at the rabbit rescue that seemed to be a frequent occurrence.
    Lisa: I hate going to the zoo. I feel so sorry for the animals.
    Homer: Lisa, the zoo opens up a whole new world for the animals. In the wild they would never experience boredom, obesity, loss of purpose...you know, the American dream!

Yikes! First off... your apartment manager seems clueless!
    I had a rabbit myself and I know they can be sassy to catch. Mine jumped out of the bathtub once while fully lathered up and if took be 45 min. to get him - and he was sweet and tame! I guess I'm not sure if you feel the rabbit is in danger. You could try to set out a Havahart trap and load it with goodies. They LOVE canned unsweetend pumpkin puree. I know the Humane Society in our area will lend traps out to people so they don't have to sink $40.00 into a trap they will use once. I did once catch an injured rabbit because he was outside at a home for at risk boys (some of which would not be nice to him if they got their hands on him.) I used a blanket thrown over him and a box because it was what I had, but it took a while and I know he was stressed... but I sure was not going to leave him there. Your best bet might be the trap. If they don't have them at your Humane Society a home and garden store might have them as well. Good Luck!

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    You're doing the right thing by contacting the rabbit rescue. How weird and irritating that your property managers would be so unhelpful and rude. It seems like they'd be "bunny people" and would want to help.

I wish I had some advice, but I don't have much experience with rabbits.
    wocka wocka wocka

The bunny rescue is apparently not accepting anymore rabbits. I'm going to try and find another place that will take bunnies. I'm thinking animal control is probably a better option than leaving the bunny. Any thoughts? the bunny is not near a street and is rather large to be attacked by a cat, but the fact that he decided to hop towards my dog is rather worrisome.
    Homer: Lisa, the zoo opens up a whole new world for the animals. In the wild they would never experience boredom, obesity, loss of purpose...you know, the American dream!

Quote Originally Posted by abbicus View Post
    I'm thinking animal control is probably a better option than leaving the bunny.
    it won't hurt to try. if the people don't care that the rabbit is outside, they probably don't take very good care of him/her in general, or their other animal for that matter.
    i'll bring home the tofurky if you bring home the fakin bacon

I have a sneaking suspicion the rabbit in question is, in fact, your property manager's rabbit. She acted awfully funny. My cousin (who lives near my parents) released a rabbit once that he had bought for his kids. I was visiting my parents one day when I looked out the window to see a solid black bunny hopping through the front yard. I was a little confused at first, but we figured it out. My cousin readily admitted that he had let it go on purpose. My dad and my uncle (who lives next door) took care of this rabbit for two years. We could get close enough to feed her out of our hands and she got her fill of carrots, apples, radishes, strawberries and everything else, but she never would allow anyone to touch her. She made friends with another wild bunny and they ran around together all the time. Sadly, she had a shorter life than she would have had her original owners cared enough to keep her. People really are assholes.

You're doing a great thing by calling the rescue, and hopefully something will work out. If nothing else, maybe you can coax her into a box with some veggies and a LOT of patience, as it may take awhile. Good luck!
    “Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

*~Foxy~*

It was actually the propery manager's kid who I talked to.

The rabbit rescue, despite a message saying they were currently full of rabbits, said they knew some people who wanted a lop-eared bunny so would take him if we could get him.

Unfortunately we haven't seen him again. We keep looking every night with no luck. I've left carrots and other yummies under the bushes where he ran off last time I saw him. I feel really bad we didn't manage to nab him the first time; I figured since it was a pretty nice area where he was that he would be back and we could have another chance to catch him. Even if it is their rabbit I still feel bad because it would have been better if we got the bunny to the rescue. I just hope nothing bad happened to him because I would feel sort of responsible for not managing to catch him the first time. I just didn't want to hurt him or get bit. Poop.

Don't worry too much, he may come back...they often go hide for a few days and then mysteriously appear again. Also, they can adapt pretty well in a lot of cases and even though living in the wild may shorten their lifespan, they can do it. Somehow, they still know where to find water and shelter.
    “Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

*~Foxy~*