Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Defined

Vegan Defined

After having to research this for Vegan Chicago I thought I'd share what i've been able to piece together from a variety of online sources. Here is a scanned pdf of The Vegan News where they manifest this word (but don't necessarily spell out the concise definition.)

In 1944 Donald Watson defined vegan as:

A way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals.
    His group eventually became the Vegan Society which in 1979 adjusted the definition thusly:

Veganism denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude - as far as is possible and practical - all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals, and the environment.
    And there ya go, how bout that?!
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

:wiggle: :wiggle:
    ~WARNING: this post may contain jokes~

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Maybe :wiggle: like a happy dog wiggle?

I like it, Dandy! It's clear and concise. And guess what? It's not about raw foods, sun gazing, breathing properly, homeopathy, or worshipping a Supreme Master. It's about the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    It's not about raw foods, sun gazing, breathing properly, homeopathy, or worshipping a Supreme Master. It's about the animals.
    yeah. Ya know, i kinda like the original definition because there's less wiggle room (was THAT what KM was trying to say? ). While allowing for more error might have been seen as a good thing i think it has mired the movement as we have forgotten why we were vegan in the first place. Ideological purity or semantical correctness is not a particular goal of mine but it might be nice to have a roadmap of sorts.

Most folks I know think that being vegan is supremely impractical. . . in light of that, the new definition's choice of words seems rather unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by nauthiz View Post
    Most folks I know think that being vegan is supremely impractical. . . in light of that, the new definition's choice of words seems rather unfortunate.
    I would think the new definition might accommodate such thinking better.

'zackly.

'zackly.
    oohhh :wiggle:

Plant-Based Person
    I like the new definition. "Whenever practical and possible" can mean different things to different people and we need that. Also what's practical and possible can vary by circumstances. Is a vegan forbidden to play a sport or play a musical instrument if there are no truly "vegan", for example violins or baseball gloves to be had where they live?

...way of living which seeks to exclude
    There seems to be enough wiggle room in that phrase for me, to add "as far as is possible and practical" is a bit overboard.

Lord knows I'm not 100%, but I keep seeking to exclude.

P.S. I love you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    yeah. Ya know, i kinda like the original definition because there's less wiggle room (was THAT what KM was trying to say? ).
    Yes.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by VegeTexan View Post
    There seems to be enough wiggle room in that phrase for me, to add "as far as is possible and practical" is a bit overboard.
    Yes.
    ~WARNING: this post may contain jokes~

Plant-Based Person
    Technically "seeking to exclude" doesn't mean necessarily excluding, though, it could just mean one is researching or looking for different ways to minimize animal use, eating a Big Mac while web surfing for that information, for example!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahk View Post
    Technically "seeking to exclude" doesn't mean necessarily excluding, though, it could just mean one is researching or looking for different ways to minimize animal use, eating a Big Mac while web surfing for that information, for example!

BTW I always kinda liked the "as far as is possible and practical" addition to the vegan definition.

Animal Person ponders On Keeping "Vegan" Pure

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Person
    Kelly wondered whether the term "vegan" is "worth fighting for" given the latest trend of seemingly oxymoronish (waiting for that one to hit Webster's) terminology from the mouths of people who want to find a way to use animals, yet make it appear that they're not. Okay, that's not what she wrote, but that does seem to be what's occurring. A while back I tweeted that Bittman's VB6 (Vegan Before 6) should be called CB6, or Conscience Before 6, but VB6 does describe what he's doing in a sense. Before 6pm, he doesn't eat animals. Meanwhile the average omnivore across the street from me could call herself VBM, Vegan Between Meals. What about Bittman's shoes and suits and household products, not to mention those of the woman across the street? Is vegan a diet?
    I sent a barrage of VRF links because so many threads came to mind (and I'm sure there could have been alot more.) Some good stuffs in the comments.