0 0%
  • Hemp

0 0%
  • Other?

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got Milk?

Got Milk?

Okay, I searched the forum. (hopefully thoroughly enough) And didn't come across a poll/topic about individual milk preferences. So Ive comprised a list of the different vegan friendly milks I know of. Please chime in if I'm leaving one out.

-Soy Milk
    Arguably the most popular milk alternative, it has almost as much protein as regular milk with far less fat and no cholestorol. To make things even easier, soy milk can be found in most grocery stores at a fairly cheap price. Made from the soy bean, this tasty Chinese non-dairy milk can be bought in plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors.

-Rice Milk
    Rice milk is the equivalent of the dairy skim milk. It's consistency is thinner than soy and regular milk, and has a lower protein content. Rice milk is predominately used in the baking of desserts, mostly due to its naturally sweet flavor. However, you can buy rice milk as a beverage in plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors as well.

-Almond Milk
    Besides beans and rice, nuts are also a predominant base for non-dairy milks and creams. This alternative has a creamy texture, and is best used in smoothies and desserts. Almond milk, dates back to the 1300s and can be made easily at your home by blending almonds, water and sweeteners such as vanilla or chocolate. Commercial almond milk comes in natural, vanilla and chocolate flavors.

-Coconut Milk
    This is the most distinctive tasting milk. Coconut milk is harvested directly from the "meat" of a coconut. Coconut milk can easily be homemade. Upon preparation, grate the coconut meat, squeeze through cheesecloth and soak. Vegans can use coconut milk in tropical dishes and drinks to add thickness and flavor.

-Grain Milk
    Also called oat milk, this vegan friendly milk can be made from grain, flour, oats, barley, rye or wheat. Grain milk has a lower protein content that its dairy counterpart, but has a higher carbohydrate concentration. It appears in desserts, over cereal and in Vegan smoothies.

-Hemp Milk
    Is high in protein like soy milk, but hemp does not contain the phytic acid and trypsin inhibitors that soy does. Hemp milk is a good source of balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, unlike rice milk, and it also contains a wide range of naturally occuring vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, folic acid, iron, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamin and zinc

Personally I am a fan of rice milk for drinking, although I've never tried Grain or Hemp. And soy for baking and cooking.
    I'm not vegan because I love animals, I just really hate vegetables!

waaaait for it....

POTATO MILK!

(sorry, inside joke )

I'm still trying different milks, so I haven't tried hemp, coconut or grain milk. I prefer soy milk for it's versatility, but I do love horchata and also almond milk is very yummy.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"-Gandhi

I like them all, though Hemp has a taste that takes some getting used to if you plan on drinking it plain.

I was never a fan of drinking milk, so I only use non-dairy milks in stuff. I make my own unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk, and we always have a huge container of chocolate soymilk for the boy, who is a junkie for the stuff.
    again! sig-free!

Soy gets my vote, hands down. It may well be the most common for good reason (it's delicious!).

I like oat and hemp milks a fair bit, for what they are. Almond milk was okay, as I recall (I seem to have a vague memory of hazelnut milk as well--was I dreaming?) Rice milk tastes a lot like sugar water to me. Still, I can handle it in small quantities.

Coconut milk only exists for cooking in my mind, but I sure love it in Thai food.

All in all, soy is the only "milk" I'd pour myself a tall glass of.
    Kindness counts!

Don't forget blends (soy/rice, for example)!

I like most except hemp, but I buy only soy regularly.

Vanilla soya milk.

I use soya milk generally, because it is cheap and widely available. I find that all non-dairy milks vary significantly from brand to brand, though.

There is some very expensive almond and hazelnut milk (two milks, not both together) which is in hot chocolcate though!

Nice easy pudding: bananas in custard made with coconut milk. Again, .

ETA: I have tried home-machine-made soya milk too, and it is nice though more beany than commercial soya milk, but curdles more easily and a pain to wash the machine up, so now I stick to the shop stuff.

I tend to use the Silk Soy Milk the most because it's the most available (small town walmart has it). I haven't tried a lot of the different types honestly but so far I prefer Soy for cooking, Rice for Cereal or drinking and Almond was a nice change but a lot harder for me to get ahold of.

Back with another block-rocking beat Calliope's Avatar
    I never liked drinking milk either, so I only use the alternatives for things like cereal and baking, and I don't find much of a difference in taste in those situations. (I do LOVE chocolate soy and/or rice milk though. I can drink litres of that stuff.

I voted for almond milk, because I think taste wise, I like it the best, but I usually buy rice milk, because I can find it in fortified form. (Always good to get more vitamin D and B12, after all. ) I like soy too, but I tend not to buy it for at home, because I get soy in my diet in a lot of other places, and I'm of the mind that you really can have too much of a good thing, so I try not to overdo it.
    Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length.
    ~Robert Frost~

I think I dig Rice Milk over all for favor and and texture. I find that drinking straight soy milk is a little overwhelming. Now I'm on a mission to find out how to make Rice Milk at home.. I must make everything homemade to compare lol

but I use different milks in different situations so how do I respond? Almond milk is the best, but too expensive to buy regularly. Rice milk (original enriched) is for cereal, and soy milk (orginal enriched) for baking - pancakes, cakes, etc. I never liked drinking milk either and have trouble not laughing when people (like my grandmother) tell me about them trying soy milk as a beverage - sounds disgusting to me -- too thick. But I can manage to finish off the rice milk at the bottom of the cerealbowl sometimes if it's been on a sweetened cereal.

to be king you don't need a castle JasperKat's Avatar
    /hijack: Jimsa, what is your avatar from?

-JK

Quote Originally Posted by JasperKat View Post
    /hijack: Jimsa, what is your avatar from?

-JK
    Random google search

to be king you don't need a castle JasperKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsa View Post
    Random google search
    Ah. Years ago Mr Kat and I went to a concert and one of the booths there was selling patches. I was browsing around and found one with your avatar image on it. The dude at the booth sold it to me for 2 cigarettes

-JK