Thread: New vegan ....argh herpes

New vegan ....argh herpes

Hi everyone
    I desperately want to be vegan and Im on my second week. But I got herpes about 6 years ago and it has flared up majorly this week. I know its what Im eating, ive been eating oats, oatmeal, nuts, cacao.
    I truly believe that veganism is the cleanest diet we can give ourselves however if im eating all these arginine rich foods i cant avoid a herpes flare up. Its so debilitating. Im taking lysine now to help ease the symptoms.
    Does anyone have any information on this? I dont want to have to always take lysine and I know that just wont work and I'll end up going back to my pre vegan diet.
    Would appreciate any advice!!
    Many thanks xx

Quote Originally Posted by sayurisan View Post
    Hi everyone
    I desperately want to be vegan and Im on my second week. But I got herpes about 6 years ago and it has flared up majorly this week. I know its what Im eating, ive been eating oats, oatmeal, nuts, cacao.
    I truly believe that veganism is the cleanest diet we can give ourselves however if im eating all these arginine rich foods i cant avoid a herpes flare up. Its so debilitating. Im taking lysine now to help ease the symptoms.
    Does anyone have any information on this? I dont want to have to always take lysine and I know that just wont work and I'll end up going back to my pre vegan diet.
    Would appreciate any advice!!
    Many thanks xx
    i don't know that much about herpes, but i know that the skin is the largest filtering organ we have. so when you do something like quit smoking, the toxins are leaving through your skin and can give you acne and other skin irritations (they call them "quit zits")... maybe going vegan is doing a similar thing... as the toxins from your previous diet leave your body. in that case hopefully it's just temporary as your body adjusts

i hope it gets better for you!
    picasso was a communist. neither am i. - salvador dali

Do you eat anything other than oats, oatmeal, nuts, and cacao? Could you just maybe give up those foods if they aggravate your condition? In my day to day life, I don't normally eat those at all. I mean, sometimes I have oatmeal for breakfast, but I'm just as likely to have cereal or hash browns or a tomato sandwich....And if cacao or other chocolate products give you a problem, you could give carob a try. As for nuts, you can get protein from other sources like lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, tofu, seitan, tempeh, mock meats, black beans, hummus, refried beans, etc

Good luck!

A link

http://www.globalherbalsupplies.com/...nformation.htm

With any disease or health condition an approach to improving diet and nutrition should be taken.

An appropriate diet high in lysine and low in arginine and vitamin supplements may be beneficial for those suffering from viral diseases, in particular the herpes virus.

Current research has shown that the amino acid, arginine, can aggravate herpes and bring on an outbreak.

Some foods high in arginine include nuts, chocolate and caffeine. If a food has a low lysine/arginine ratio and only a few milligrams of arginine in it, there is no reason to avoid it totally, unless it aggravates the situation further.

If you do have frequent herpes outbreaks, try cutting back or eliminating these foods from your diet and see if it helps to relieve your symptoms.

It has been found that the amino acid, Lysine, retards virus growth, so you should include in your diet foods high in Lysine and decrease the foods high in L-Arginine (an amino acid that supports the herpes virus).

Remember, try to balance everything you eat, e.g., if you eat foods high in Arginine, balance them with L-lysine foods or with Lysine/L-lysine tablets (500mg/day minimum). Lysine products can be purchased online or from most health food stores and specialty shops.

http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=53184

Consume broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables daily – Broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and bok choy contain an active ingredient known as the indole-3-carbinol, which has been shown to inhibit replication of herpes viruses. Individuals consuming these foods daily and supplementing with indole-3-carbinol have reported decreased frequency of herpes outbreaks.
    and there's other good info on that page.

From another search http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml
    I found that the following veggies are the highest in lysine...
    in order - Papaya, Beets, Mango, Apricot, Apple, Pear others are on the list at above page.

Quote Originally Posted by VegeTexan View Post
    Papaya, Beets, Mango, Apricot, Apple, Pear
    *sings* these are a few of my favourite thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings

I had no idea; good stuff to know!

sayurisan, congrats on going vegan! With the effort you're putting into finding the right information, I'm sure you'll find success!

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    I agree with what's already been said, namely: eat other foods! There are so many foods out there... given them a try! Especially if you really believe the ones you're eating are causing your flare-up.

Also, couldn't it be a coincidence, and not related to eating a vegan diet? I mean, it's one thing if you know certain foods are setting it off, but there's nothing weird about vegan foods as a group that would cause a flare-up. Vegan food is just regular food without the animal products. Have some nice beans and rice! Or some sauteed veggies! Have a baked potato with margarine and salsa! A PB&J sandwich! Some spaghetti! There are soooo many options, and most of them are foods you've had a million times before.
    wocka wocka wocka

Stress is a common trigger....

Smile

Hi everyone and thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
    I laid off the most arginine rich foods for a few days and have been taking lysine so my symptoms are passing. Its early days but i guess i just have to watch out that i dont overdo those foods. I have recently linked wheat intake to my depression so have had to cut that out too (and am feeling so much better!) so i realised its vegan/wheat free breakfasts that i was struggling with. I was having oats/oatmeal or cacao maca nut smoothies (very arginine rich) so have changed that. Anyway I am sticking at it and mixing my meals up. I also did a bit of research and came across camu camu which apparently helpful in overcoming herpes so ive ordered some of that.
    I actually think i was really overdoing the nuts and i remember them causing flare ups in the past.
    Vegetexan and that one guy - thanks for those links and information its really useful. I hadnt heard about indole 3 carbinol and love broccoli!
    Well I can report after 2 weeks that I am detoxing!! I wont go into my bowel habits incase any of you are eating, but my intestines are definitely cleansing... i had a big outbreak of spots too and now i have this wierd dry rash thing across my chin. I feel tired but very happy and optimistic that once i get through this stage Im going to feel so much better. Just off to the shops now to get more supplies..
    Thanks again xxxx

Its possible to follow a vegan diet without nuts, seeds, chocolate and carob.

I have read that coconut oil is beneficial to prevent and heal herpes outbreaks, it is also good at killing cold and flu viruses and candida. It kills most bacteria and viruses, and they are doing research on its effectiveness against the HIV virus. So, you can try using it as your main cooking oil. Also, there is an herb tea called Pau d'arco that is very good for putting the herpes virus into remission.

I know that on a vegan diet nuts and seed really do fill an important roll, I use alot of cashews and almonds, myself because they are such a great substitute for dairy.

I have a vegan friend who is alergic to nuts and she is doing just fine with a vegan diet. Its just a matter of finding substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiloid View Post
    I agree with what's already been said, namely: eat other foods! There are so many foods out there... given them a try! Especially if you really believe the ones you're eating are causing your flare-up.

Also, couldn't it be a coincidence, and not related to eating a vegan diet? I mean, it's one thing if you know certain foods are setting it off, but there's nothing weird about vegan foods as a group that would cause a flare-up. Vegan food is just regular food without the animal products. Have some nice beans and rice! Or some sauteed veggies! Have a baked potato with margarine and salsa! A PB&J sandwich! Some spaghetti! There are soooo many options, and most of them are foods you've had a million times before.
    it is actually the vegan diet in combination with herpes. the balance between lysine and arginine in the body is very sensitive for herpes sufferers. i have been vegan for 3 months and have had more flareups than i would usually have in 3 years. i'm working on some solutions but chocolate, almonds, cashews, peanuts etc are all a big part of my diet and have been for years before being vegan. add any stressors, being rundown etc and the vegan diet is a playground for lysine depletion. not fun.