Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something vegan that's similar to Slim Fast?

The snozberries taste like snozberries!! jaxin's Avatar

Something vegan that's similar to Slim Fast?

Does anyone know of anything similar to Slim Fast? I know there are lots of powdered shakes but I'm looking for something pre-made in cans/bottles.

I'm thinking if I find something it will be "accidentally vegan". Slim Fast at one point made some fruit & soy shakes, but even though nothing non-vegan was listed it had cholesterol on the nutrition label.

Thanks for any info.
    You know how people are, they'd rather stick their head up a cows arse than eat a tomato.

There's Brendan Brazier's Vega (but you have to mix it yourself).
    ~WARNING: this post may contain jokes~

I'm looking for something pre-made that I can just grab out of the fridge. Normally I hate prepacked stuff, but this is something I need to help me with over-eating or eating bad crap.

I was trying to figure out a way I could maybe make it up before hand, but I don't know what I'd pack it in or if it would stay good long enough. Hrm.

ETA: Vega IS good stuff though. I wish it just wasn't so expensive!
    You know how people are, they'd rather stick their head up a cows arse than eat a tomato.

Yeah...I didn't think it was going to be what you were looking for. I tried it while I was in LA, and I started reading his book as well. As soon as I save up enough pennies to buy the book, deadlyhead and I are going to give the Thrive Diet a test run.

The Vega meal replacer is pricey. And generally the ones that you mix yourself get pretty if they sit for awhile after mixing.

Good luck, and let us know if you find something!

tiny careful adventure fire bluedawg's Avatar
    would it have to be a drink? what about something like luna bars? (kinda like slimfast bars, heh)

Is there such a thing as a drink shaker that stores the powder in the top? Kind of like those salad shakers that hold the dressing?

Maybe i could buy a few of those, put soymilk or juice in the bottom, and that way when I need one I can just pull it out and shake. This may work.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post
    would it have to be a drink? what about something like luna bars? (kinda like slimfast bars, heh)
    I'm pretty much doing that now with Luna Bars, god I love them, but for some reason they just aren't as satisfying as the Slim Fast always was to me.

They do work better than chowing down on something bad, or running off to Taco Smell because I'm too tired/lazy to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxin View Post
    ...running off to Taco Smell...
    I think you have just officially cured me of my weakness for TB.

Is there such a thing as a drink shaker that stores the powder in the top? Kind of like those salad shakers that hold the dressing?
    There's this baby bottle mixer thing. We had one like that (for the babies) and it was handy when traveling.

Could work for you. You wouldn't need to put a nipple on it .. unless you want to.
    - Robert

Robert·ology

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.

*ponders nipple usage* I would certainly drink slower.

I can't add links because I lurk too much and have not posted enough. But I think Ifound the shaker cup for you. It's called Chilled Shaker Cup by Fit and Fresh it can be foundon Amazon. I hope it helps!

Rooted
    Hey jaxin...

A general question, as i am interested in the link between vegans and healthy eating in relation to healthy weight ranges.
    As a vegan, i would have thought your weight would be regulating itself & there would be no need for diet based food products??
    Are the shakes for you to use as a quick / easy meal and not as a weight loss equivalent??
    Thanks for your reply... even if you dont want to answer my question.

Robbie707
    Robbie707

I've been thinking about vegan Slim Fast lately too. I'm pretty sure jaxin read my mind.

Robbie, there are lots and lots of ways to eat too many calories as a vegan. I've gained quite a lot of weight myself, not so much because I went vegan (more likely because began my university education around the time I went vegan--it was the freshman 30 for me) but certainly as a vegan. I may even have gained less weight than I would have as an omnivore. What I'm saying is simply going vegan will not stop weight gain. We can still overeat and/or eat very high calorie foods (check out some of those Amy's labels!). I personally love tofu and peanut sauce. Does Slim Fast make that?
    Kindness counts!

The only "meal replacer" that ever fills me up is an apple and a Luna Bar. I know that's practically a meal, but it's easy to eat in the car.

My funny SlimFast story. MrMI decided he needed to lose a few pounds, so he was using SlimFast. First, he was buying it at the gas station on his way to work and at lunch, but then he liked it so much that he started buying the cases of it for at home. Only then did I realize he was a bit confused about the concept. After dinner one night, he cracked one open, and I laughed and commented that at 200+ calories, he'd be better off with chocolate milk. He stared at me for a second, confused.

Turns out, he thought SilmFast was supposed to help you not gain as much weight from whatever you just ate while adding nutrition, so for about a month, he'd been drinking them in addition to whatever he normally ate.

Does anyone know of anything similar to Slim Fast? I know there are lots of powdered shakes but I'm looking for something pre-made in cans/bottles.

I'm thinking if I find something it will be "accidentally vegan". Slim Fast at one point made some fruit & soy shakes, but even though nothing non-vegan was listed it had cholesterol on the nutrition label.

Thanks for any info.
    If the fruit and soy shakes said something like "<5 mg" for cholesterol, they may well be vegan. There are several legitimately vegan products which label this way. I'd e-mail the company.

eta: ...though it doesn't appear they're still being made.
    Last edited by downwithapathy; 01-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Kindness counts!