Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: tofurky in a crockpot!

Lightbulb tofurky in a crockpot!

i've made dozens of tofurky's over the years, the best way i've found it making it in the crockpot.

tis VERY easy!

add all the veggies you want. this year i put in 4 potatoes, 3 carrots, one can of corn and one half an onion. i decided to not try and make my own stewing broth and used a carton of vegetable broth instead. don't forget to add your tofurky to this.

i let it cook over night and it was PERFECT the next day. very tender and juice. not burnt or dried out like when i have made in the oven.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by boogabaah View Post
    i've made dozens of tofurky's over the years, the best way i've found it making it in the crockpot.

tis VERY easy!

add all the veggies you want. this year i put in 4 potatoes, 3 carrots, one can of corn and one half an onion. i decided to not try and make my own stewing broth and used a carton of vegetable broth instead. don't forget to add your tofurky to this.
    Easy my ass! You and your high-falootin fancy high-cuisine! What the hell is this about stewing broth? Sounds complicated. Please illuminate!

Hey I blew off two invitations so I could stay home and crock my very own Tofurky. I need you to 'splain these brothy stew issues.

Hmm. Time to go upstairs and make sure I can even find my crockpot. I'd hate to not have a pot to stew in.

Lightbulb

i was thinking (besides what i PM'd you) you could also make your own broth by adding veggies and some braggs (aka soy sauce) and maybe a little oil or vegan butter. let it all cook together, tofurky and all for several hours at least, so it can soak up all the juices and mix together well.

sorry if this isn't slightly more helpful.

Hey haven't I seen your avatar hanging out on a plane wing? You're freakin' me out man!

Ordained Church of Cheezish Minister MissLovely's Avatar
    So, I just thought I'd give you some cred. I made my Tofurkey in the crockpot. It freed up valuable oven space!
    TEMPORAMA

How did you compensate for the difference of the mass of the whales and the water?

So how did you address the issue of stewing in a broth? Both recipe of the broth and the method? (Last time I tried winging a recipe in conjunction with fancy new cooking technology, the LHC shat itself. Bosons, boullions.. who woulda thunk it made a difference.)

Talk slowly, I'm...kittens.

to be king you don't need a castle JasperKat's Avatar
    I would just use a carton of store bought veggie broth, but I assume boogabah meant that she (?) sometimes makes her own broth.

MissLovely, how did it turn out? I've never had a problem with mine being overdone in the oven and I worry about it getting soggy in the crockpot.

-JK

Ordained Church of Cheezish Minister MissLovely's Avatar
    So, I stewed it in a broth. One "not chicken" bouillon cube, plus balsamic vinegar, "poultry" seasoning, onion powder, sage, carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. Instead of tasting soggy, it was amazing! Tender, juicy and flavor absorb city! The stuffing was ten times better with all the broth absorbed.
    I felt like I had been admitting defeat this year buy buying a Tofurkey instead of making something myself. (I was way too busy!)
    It ended up being so effing good I'm glad I tried it.
    TEMPORAMA

Woohoo! Im gonna try this, maybe xmas
    "Kindness is a language we all understand.
    Even the blind can see it and the deaf can hear it."
    -Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by MissLovely View Post
    Tender, juicy and flavor absorb city! The stuffing was ten times better with all the broth absorbed..
    So the broth soaked in and changed the taste of the stuffing... without making it soppy??

Talking

same with mine. the stuffing was poking out when i cut the casing off. the broth just made it yummier.

i had another tofurky that the ex-mother-in-law had made for me. she pretty much DRIED it out in the oven. wasn't good at all, but i was polite and choked down the chunk she dished up for me. no seasonings, so brothy juices, she just loosely covered it with foil then baked it. (the woman's always been a terrible cook, but don't tell her that) i did tell her that i make mine in a crockpot and it turns out good. so hopefully if she makes me one for xmas.. she'll make it in the crockpot.

oh and my avatar.. i drew it.. but then after i took the picture of it, my kid scribbled it out!

every day im hustlin' exhume to consume's Avatar
    this crock pot intrigues me. i looooove tofurkey. last year i bought 6. this year i bought 0 because i had 0 dollars. i shall save my dollars and invest in a "crock pot" and prepare future tofurkeys in it.

mine usually dont dry out. i have found that it is important to rotate it if you make it in the oven so one side doesnt overcook while it cooks through. im almost tempted to get a rotisserie and try cooking it on that!

Thats a great idea exhume!
    "Kindness is a language we all understand.
    Even the blind can see it and the deaf can hear it."
    -Mother Teresa

Am I the only person who likes dried out tofurky that is nice and chewy? I find it too rubbery otherwise.
    again! sig-free!