Thread: The World Food Crisis

the crazy little Geisha gal goes country chikara_no_tori's Avatar

The World Food Crisis

there seems to be more and more stories about this...and seeing how we are all affected by this one way or another, this article will probably be of interest:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080422/...tlbewCcIEV6w8F
    "Your values is in disarray, prioritizing horribly. Unhappy with the riches cause you piss poor morally." - T.I.

the crazy little Geisha gal goes country chikara_no_tori's Avatar
    yet more innocent victims of the global food crisis:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080526/...ungry_children

sometimes, when you read these articles, doesn't it just make you feel so small and overwhelmed?
    "Your values is in disarray, prioritizing horribly. Unhappy with the riches cause you piss poor morally." - T.I.

It actually makes me angry. Nowadays I get so tired of explaining to people that eating meat is environmentally unsustainable, and that we are wasting huge amounts of crops on comparatively smaller outputs of meats. I've become such a bitter vegan....

I actually don't enjoy trying to convince people to be vegan, though. If they want to know about it, I'm happy to tell them, but I'm tired of hearing the standard "meat is too good" cop-out argument. I think the answer lies in convincing government regulators/USDA/FDA-whoever to redesign their nutrition guidelines to say that people need no more than one serving of meat a day; actually TELL PEOPLE TO STOP EATING MEAT AS THEIR MAIN STAPLE. And then actually start teaching CHILDREN this in school so that it starts to stick with the younger generations of people and actually creates a real, measurable change. My food pyramid that I would recommend to the average SAD-eating American would contain: 4-6 oz whole grain, 2-5 cups veggies, 2-3 cups fruits, 2-3 cups soy/rice/milks, 5-8 oz beans/legumes, 1-2 oz nuts, >3 oz meats/eggs, >2 tbsp healthy oils. I only include non-vegan things in there because I know that the typical SAD-eater isn't going to jump onto the vegan bandwagon, and at least by telling them that they need to eat LESS meat, a difference can be made. I based that pretty much off of the mypyramid.gov website, only made meat and eggs their own "discretionary calories" group. That's all it takes, and for some reason no one is willing to do it, even though we have long passed the stages of our country where malnutrition/protein deficiency created the need for such an animal-based diet.

If every elementary school child learned today that meat should be a once-a-day-or-less component of the diet, that's every BUYER of food 15 years down the road that will be eating at least 2/3 less meat...which I honestly think would be more effective than hoping that the average small number of them See The Vegan Light. It would probably bring a larger number of people to at least vegetarianism or even the "mostly veganism" that some people I've met seem to be doing nowadays.

^^^ Of course I forgot to explain that I link the growing world hunger crisis to the consumption of about 80% (I believe that's the right number) of grain grown every year by livestock.