Thread: Coyote :(

Coyote :(

A very bold coyote has been lurking about my neighborhood lately. I live in a wooded area. It's gotten one of my chickens and two of the neighbors cats in the last few weeks. We've seen it lurking by the chicken coop twice over the weekend, and five or six times over the past few weeks. My neighbor says the state won't trap coyotes anymore, and we can't hire someone to do it because legholds and poison are illegal. She says coyotes are the only animals who won't go into the cage traps, and the only way to get rid of it is to shoot it. I'm feeling rather frustrated, as it's killing family members who are removed from the food chain, and I'm really paranoid about letting my beloved duck, Menolly, move outside. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the coyote?
    -San

This may not be an option for you, but guard animals, such as dogs or donkeys will chase it away. After enough of that it will just stop comming back. Perhaps you could also look into non-lethal methods such as rubber bullets like the ones many parks are using to scare away bears. Often just the sound will eventually persuade your little furry guest to scamper off.
    You never believe me when I say stupid things! - Jenn

I have no idea how to use any type of weapon, but my brother used to shoot BB guns and could borrow one, if that would have the same effect as rubber bullets.

My family has a dog, but she's 15 and does more damage than good by letting the chickens out! I'm trying to leave the chickens locked up, but my mom always feels sorry for them and lets them out into their fenced yard, and then they either fly out or the dog knocks the gate down.

Are geese big enough to fend off a coyote? I hear they're great at protecting their chicken and duck friends. I don't have a fenced yard so even if my parents wanted a donkey, I'm not sure that would work out.
    -San

Don't hurt the coyote! It's not their fault. They're only being what they are.

While it's difficult, keep your pets indoors or outdoors only under supervision.

>>I have no idea how to use any type of weapon, but my brother used to shoot BB guns and could borrow one, if that would have the same effect as rubber bullets.<<

How loud is the BB gun? If it is pretty loud then you could shoot it into the ground or air (not at the coyote ) when the coyote is around and see if that scares it off.

>>Are geese big enough to fend off a coyote? I hear they're great at protecting their chicken and duck friends.<<

Hmm...I really don't know. If they are large enough or agressive enough I don't see why it wouldn't work. But you might want to do a little more research on that to see if a goose is likely to take on a coyote (though I've seen plenty of videos of them attacking people! )

Finally, I agree with misanthropy, supervision is the best prevention.
    You never believe me when I say stupid things! - Jenn

The BB gun is not very loud.

I realize it is human's fault in the first place the coyote is hanging out in the neighborhood, but I don't really appreciate it killing animals that are removed from the food chain. There has been a sudden burst in wild bunnie population lately, they died off ten or fifteen years ago, I don't know why it doesn't eat those.

The two old cats are in-door-out-door, but the 19-year-old doesn't go out much. I think my mom has been keeping the 10-year-old, Scott, inside. Vivian, the two-year-old, is the one I worry about the most. She's supposed to be an indoor cat, but this spring she darts out inbetween feet on a regular basis.
    -San

Well, no one appreciates anything killing anything, but again it's only being what it is: a coyote. To punish it for that would be in my opinion far worse than it killing another animal as it would be punished (i.e., killed) out of anger and/or malice.

I'm sorry that your chicken and your neighbours cats were killed, but I think your family is just going to have to be more vigilant in keeping your critters inside and/or supervised.

Good luck.

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do, but I think trying to scare it away and keeping a close eye on your animals may be the best bet. I'm reading a book involving coyotes right now (Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver... it's so good!). This might be a good opportunity to learn more about coyotes... the longer I'm vegan, the more I'm aware of how little I know about the other animals that share this planet with me, and I think it's fun to learn more about them (especially when you're trying to live with them non-violently). I know that you've removed the chickens, ducks, and cats from your food chain, but unfortunately for you, that doesn't mean they've been removed from the coyote's food chain. Good luck!

Plant-Based Person
    This is indeed a hard situation, San. I am really sorry you lost some chicken friends, and I sympathize with your fear for your other birds and cats. But I gotta go with the other folks who have urged you not to hurt the coyote! If there is a wildlife rehabilitator in your area with a license to relocate wild animals (it is AGAINST THE LAW for anyone else to do it!!!) then I think a box trap is worth trying at least??? I think that "they're the only animal who won't go in" is bunk. (In fact, I came across studies in my leghold research comparing the "trauma" of different kinds of traps on various species of wild canids, and included in there were box-trapped coyotes.) Individual animals of any species might be savvy enough to evade poorly set traps of any type, but I don't for a minute believe that coyotes as an entire species are uncatchable by humane methods! Box traps are easy to set and minimally stressful to the animal; you may be able to borrow or rent one from a local animal control agency, or a nuisance wildlife service? I want to state for the record that because they're "illegal" is NOT the reason a person should avoid using poison or legholds on a coyote!!! Poison kills slowly and painfully, and the animal often wanders away and dies somewhere where other scavengers can eat the body, spreading the poison throughout the foodchain! Leghold traps are phenomenally painful and atrocious and ought to be abolished in the US and Canada as they have been in 88 other countries around the world (remind me sometime to post the results of that research I did!). They are truly disgusting and I know that as a caring person you would NEVER want to be responsible for their use on any other living being no matter what the situation! There have to be better ways!!! I like the suggestion to try to scare him or her off with non-lethal projectiles (NOT by shooting him or her with BBs!!! they are NOT the same as rubber bullets and could cause wounds that might become infected and lead to a lingering painful death!). If you find someone who can safely relocate the coyote (make sure she's not a mom nursing puppies who need her care first!) and the cage-trap fails, see if a sympathetic vet can hook you up with fast-acting oral tranquilizers that you can put in some bait??? Ultimately, though, if you live in a rural enough area, I think your only defense against native predators (who, after all, lived there first, belong there, and aren't doing anything but what they were born to do...) would be constant vigilance (maybe with the help of guard animals) and more secure enclosures. It is sad that the coyote has already killed a couple chickens not only because of the deaths of the chickens, but because the fact that he or she has had some "successes" before will, honestly, make it more difficult to deter future attacks. But if you know the point of entry into the chicken yard, maybe a simple hotwire (a strand of electric fence) will do the trick??? Hmm... I do hope you find a solution that balances out the needs of your domestic animals and of the coyote. Let us know how it goes.