Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fave NYC eateries?

Plant-Based Person

fave NYC eateries?

Hey all-- I just might be in "The City" for a weekend next month. Can anyone recommend some awesome (and preferably CHEAP) restaurants for me to check out (and preferably impress some omni pals with ) ??? I think I'll mostly be in Manhattan and Long Island, but am willing to take trains to any which where if the grub is good enough...

You could always check out Moby's Teany Restaurant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/dan...716_moby.shtml

Other than that, I am not sure of any decent restaurants.

green.
    vegetarian paradise 2.

soul fried chicken!
    mint chocolate chip ice cream

OMG.....
    *scrounging up pennies and quarters for a bus ticket..*

Plant-Based Person
    Check out this link for a great list of NY restaurants, with reviews:

http://www.satyamag.com/restaurant.html

Dawn

Plant-Based Person
    Thanks all! The hypothetical trip is next weekend... looks like it'll probably fall through actually but I'm keepin' this list anyway just in case... I know I'll end up there one of these days!

This is an old thread, but why not pull it out again? I just tried Blossom in Chelsea. It's not cheap, but not expensive either. Finally a nice place where we don't have to worry about the food! And yes, you will definitely impress the omnis. They even have a great wine list! They're gourmet, organic, and vegan!

http://www.blossomnyc.com/
    [FONT="Garamond"]En vivant et en voyant les hommes, il faut que le cur se brise ou se bronze. -- Chamfort[/FONT]

I like Angelica's on E 12th street.Organic , vegan but not that cheap.Also Curly's vegetarian lunch on 14th Street. They have lots of vegan stuff and know about stuff like honey and whey not being vegan. They have really good specials.

When I was in NYC a couple of years ago, we ate at Zen Palate 3 times just for the won ton soup.
    again! sig-free!

I went to NYC for the first time in August and stopped at Kate's Joint, an all-veg diner (not sure if they have a website . . .). It reminds me a lot of the Chicago Diner. Cheap and fast, but with the sit-down experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mishka
    When I was in NYC a couple of years ago, we ate at Zen Palate 3 times just for the won ton soup.
    I've only been there once, but I was kind of disappointed. It was OK, but I'd heard it was great.

But then, I didn't try the won ton soup. *puts that on to-do list*

Talking Hangawi!

New favorite place!!! Hangawi on 27th Street. I was never a big fan of Korean until I tried this place. The room is lovely, traditional, extremely calm and soothing, which prepares you for BEAUTIFUL food! Oh, and you get to sit on the floor. It's fabulous!
    [FONT="Garamond"]En vivant et en voyant les hommes, il faut que le cur se brise ou se bronze. -- Chamfort[/FONT]

Plant-Based Person
    yeah, i love hangawi! their tofu cheesecake is so delicious!!! (& er, they're on 32nd st., not 27th, yes?)

several of the restaurants that everyone raves about i just feel... meh... about. like angelica kitchen & gobo.

i like the vegetarian dim sum house. also sacred chow is AMAZING.

there's this fancy vegan restaurant that used to be on the lower east side that closed--i can't remember the name, but it made me so sad cuz there's definitely a need for a fancy date/anniversary/birthday vegan place, & the food was incredible.

i also love candle cafe & candle 79 a lot. also happy buddha in flushing is really delicious--much better than a lot of fake meat-based chinese food places.

I wish that I lived in NYC...a land where someone can consider Angelica's Kitchen "meh".

Quote Originally Posted by diffuse
    yeah, i love hangawi! their tofu cheesecake is so delicious!!! (& er, they're on 32nd st., not 27th, yes?)
    Ooops! Yes, indeed. 32nd street! I SO can't wait to go back!

Gobo's (West Village location) is great. We went there last night and had a great buddhist inspired vegan dinner:

- scallion pancakes with homemade mango salsa
    - shitake caps in mashed sweet potatoes & raisins
    - natural seitan medallion in sizzling spicy citrus sauce
    - brown rice (with pine nuts)
    - yam & yucca fries
    - gingerbread and vanilla ice cream, topped with spiced berry compote

We were going to have red wine with it but they told us the reds weren't vegan (due to being filtered through egg shells ) On the plus side, all their desserts were vegan. And the washrooms gender neutral (good for me since I'm gender queer).