Page 1 of 196 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading?

green.

Question what are you reading?

what book are you currently reading? what do you think of it? would you recommend it?

i am reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. I am only halfway through, and I am greatly enjoying it. I can't believe I haven't read this already. (so many books to read!) Basically, the animals kick out the abusive farmer and take over. I would definitely recommend it. (as well as 1984 , by the same author)

Plant-Based Person
    That's so odd that you would mention that! I just started reading 1984 today! I also have a very long list of books to read and it just keeps growing. I can't keep up with them all!

Animal Farm sounds really interesting. I'll have to check it out!

I am currently reading Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway and Man's Eternal Quest by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Permaculture is a style of gardening that helps to foster a balance of wildlife, flowers, edible plants, and vegetable gardens into a kind of self-renewing (e.g. nothing goes to waste) place that works with nature to do the work. Like an organic ecosystem. I have a small yard so it will be a very teeny tiny ecosystem. I have been so excited about the different forms of insects and animals that have been visiting since I started the garden three years ago that I can't wait to invite more in. I live less than a mile from the Mississippi river so there is quite a bit of bio-diversity here - even in the city. Maybe I'll start a thread on permaculture.

The book by Paramahansa Yogananda is a collection of spiritual talks by a yogi who lived during the first half of the 20th century. I'm finding it inspirational.

I'm also got several issues of The Economist that I haven't gotten to yet. It's rather conservative and I disagree with some of what they say. But the articles are well written and it has much better coverage on world news than I've found in most American magazines.

i am reading wheels of life by anodea judith and evasion released by the crimethinc collective. i highly recommend both.

sheffield, UK...hop, skip, and a jump to The peak district.
    I"m reading "Women on the Buddhist Path" by Martine Batchelor. It's a very inspiring and enjoyable read. For college I'm readng "Each Peach, Pear, Plum"
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    - Gandhi

green.
    evasion! wow! that's a pretty amazing book. i highly recommend it as well. the travel stories of an adventurous vegan kid.

hi beka!!

i'm reading 'an introduction to crop physiology'

re permaculture thread -> ooooh! yes please!

I'm currently reading 'Beyond Sanity and Madness' by Genpo Dennis Merzel, and I've been reading intermittently the Demon Lover by Robin Morgan. The first is about Zen Buddhism, and the second is a feminist analysis on terrorism. Pretty good reading, both of them.

Originally posted by penfold
    re permaculture thread -> ooooh! yes please!
    The thread can be found here

Right now I'm reading

"Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847 : Prelude to Hatred" By Thomas Gallagher

It's about the Irish Potato Famine and its effect on the Irish people. The prejudices faced by Irish people by the british government and by Americans during the Irish diaspora to America. It's also speaks of the continuing oppression of the Irish people.

A very good, eye opening read.

Plant-Based Person
    Gosh, doesn't anyone here read fiction??? You guys put me to shame-- I just recovered a box of "Classics" from my folks' house and am re-reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick, the novel upon which the movie "Blade Runner" was based.

lol, I just picked up Blade Runner.

It's on my list of books I can't believe I haven't read yet. Next up, Neuromancer.

Soft-hearted fool
    I just finished So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane. I was hoping it would satisfy my Harry Potter cravings (it was recommended to me by some young HP fans) but I found it was much scarier and not nearly funny enough. It is a very well written book, but it wasn't the light escape I was looking for.

Non-fiction wise, I have been researching animal experimentation in Nazi Germany. I read the aptly named Nightmare Memoir by Claude Letulle and still feel queasy when I think about some of the tortures he describes. I also skimmed Animals in the Third Reich by Boria Sax and am currently working through The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton and The Nazi War on Cancer by Robert Proctor.

Re: what are you reading?

Originally posted by beka
    Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    George Orwell is one of my favorite authors! He's done some other less famous but still good books. I'd recommend Keep the Aspidistra Flying and A Clergyman's Daughter. The first one is about a poet that tries to escape the money world by getting a dead end job as a book clerk, and the second one is about a clergyman's daughter that loses her memory and faith. They're good reads!

I think I have been reading a lot of Isaac Asimov lately, mostly from his Foundation series. They're pretty addictive, though. If I start one I have to finish it within two or three days and I can't get any schoolwork done!

Originally posted by herbi
    Gosh, doesn't anyone here read fiction??? You guys put me to shame--
    That's only because the title of this thread is "what are you reading" and not "what video games are you playing that have become so addictive that an intervention would be welcome right about now..."

Not that I'd know anything about that.