Thread: Advice on "extracts" and "flavorings"

Advice on "extracts" and "flavorings"

Okay advice:

My Korean friend (the one I convinced to try out vegetarianism/veganism) made me lunch today, and asked if I wanted soba noodles. I said yes (because I LOVE soba noodles) and asked if I could just have soy sauce for mine since the soba sauce had fish extract. She got really confused and asked why it's not okay to have something that just has "fish extract." I think she didn't really understand that concept too well, and I explained that in "hondashi" (the powedered fish stock stuff used to flavor miso soup) it is pretty much mostly crushed fish bones, and that just because it's not fish meat does not mean it's okay to have it. She still didn't get it but gave me soy sauce anyway. She had the soba sauce.

Since I go to her house frequently and she has a lot of things that are "almost" okay to eat, how can I explain things to her better about what I can and cannot eat as far as "extracts" or "flavorings"? (She also asked why it's not okay to have something that is "chicken or beef flavored" because she considers it not real chicken or beef...)

Ordained Church of Cheezish Minister MissLovely's Avatar
    I think that just comes with time and experience.
    TEMPORAMA

Plant-Based Person
    I'd just explain that if it comes from an animal or is part of an animal (as flavorings are usually from the animal's fat/bones) it's not veg-friendly. It's part of a dead animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    I'd just explain that if it comes from an animal or is part of an animal (as flavorings are usually from the animal's fat/bones) it's not veg-friendly. It's part of a dead animal.
    That's helpful... definitely helps put my thoughts into words. ^-^