Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't eat!

I can't eat!

So, about a two weeks or so ago I just lost interest of food....and it's gotten to the point now that I can't even drink half a glass of orange juice. I just can't swallow it. Sometimes I get really hungry, then I get something to eat and can only take one or two bites. I eat about one regular sized meal every three days, now.

I went vegan about a month ago. I was vegetarian for 7 months previously.

Yesterday at work I got pretty sick, and when I went home I passed out. I'm dizzy, seeing double, cold...uh, I got nautious. I'm thirsty. A lot.

WTF, dude. WTF.

And yeah, I should probably see a doctor.
    Studies show that people who eat tofu live longer than people who don't eat

Yes! Get yoself to a dr.

are you under a lot of stress? when i'm under stress i seriously lose my appetite.

Nope, realatively low stress right now.

clearly you need to go to a doctor immediately. haven't you suffered a lot of abuse in the past? It's either an eating disorder or a medical condition, neither of which we're really equiped to solve.
    Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? - Gandalf the Grey

Go to the Doctor Eve, Please let us know how you are doing!!!
    Hugs
    "Kindness is a language we all understand.
    Even the blind can see it and the deaf can hear it."
    -Mother Teresa

yup. doctor. keep us posted
    again! sig-free!

Darn. I was hoping that one of you would get on here and recognize it as a deficiency or somethin', tell me to eat my carrots, and call it good.

I did manage to make myself eat some fortified cereal today.

Grr. I don't like doctors.

eat you are carrots
    taked baby. meet at later bar, night or day sometime

If you eat well, you won't need to see the doctor.

Please eat!!!
    verde que te quiero verde

Yes, please eat. Something is obviously keeping you from maintaining the necessary sustenance necessary for your optimal health. You need to figure out what that is.
    There is no nice leather, there is no humane fur, and there is no downhill from rock bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by EvesChild
    Darn. I was hoping that one of you would get on here and recognize it as a deficiency or somethin', tell me to eat my carrots, and call it good.

I did manage to make myself eat some fortified cereal today.

Grr. I don't like doctors.

I have the same fear of doctors with my period problem.
    But try and eat! atleast mash up some fruit in a blender with cocoa powder or agave nectar. Maybe something sweet will bring the food down (just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.)

half a block from Normal Emiloid's Avatar
    I must agree with others here: GO TO A DOCTOR! Losing your appetite is not at all normal. You're just going to have to buckle down and do it. You could even ask a friend or family member to make the appointment for you so you don't keep putting it off.

Or, just DO it!!! NOW!!! OK?
    wocka wocka wocka

Well, my mom and I talked it over...and she told me that I need to start eating meat again. I refuse to do that, so now she wants me to plan out my meals for every week and the nutritional content and whatnot. Eww. Oh well. It's probably good for me anyway.

She didn't even mention taking me to the doctor. Our family usually avoids doctors. We usually can't afford to go, so we just don't.

If I'm not better in, say, two days, I'm making an appointment myself.

Well, my mom and I talked it over...and she told me that I need to start eating meat again. I refuse to do that, so now she wants me to plan out my meals for every week and the nutritional content and whatnot. Eww. Oh well. It's probably good for me anyway.

She didn't even mention taking me to the doctor. Our family usually avoids doctors. We usually can't afford to go, so we just don't.

If you need some help planning what you eat, try fitday.com. I've used it before when I was doing raw food, and it really helps you see what you're getting in regard to calories, as well as a breakdown of what kind of calories you are getting (carbs, protein, fats, etc.)

You can also use it to create meal plans in advance that will meet the amount of calories you eat per day.

If you are having trouble eating enough food, then I would recommend eating calorie dense foods. That way, you will not have to eat as much food to get the amount of calories you need.

I'd say start with that, and then as you get more comfortable with eating more, try to vary what you eat so that you can get diversity in nutrients, calorie types, etc. (When you start with the calorie dense foods, you may not be able to eat very diversely, but it's better to get the calories you need than to get equal amounts of nutrients and insufficient calories. Also, when you are starting out, if you don't already, taking a vegan multivitamin can help you get some of the nutrients you need)

And, try to get some support from friends/family to help keep you happy while you're at it (emotional and physical wellbeing are interrelated, don't forget!) ^_^

Best wishes.
    Last edited by d_arkangel; 03-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.
    "We pay attention because the more we do, the richer our lives become and the more we discover that we truly can create the world we want." - Frances Moore Lappe

Plant-Based Person michiganveganchick's Avatar

Eveschild, are you on any medications? Only wondering because a friend of mine went on Prozac, has completely lost her appetite, and has to force herself to eat. She just lost 38 pounds

yes - get yourself to a doctor!!!