PDA

View Full Version : animal rights or pro-veggie songs

heathergalaxy
04-30-2003, 12:01 PM
I've been thinking these last few weeks when my band, dreklings (http://www.dreklings.com) , decided to put in our anti-animal testing song, holocaust, into our set, how many pro animal rights or pro veggie songs are out there...

off the top of my head i can think of:

the damned's torture me
skinny puppy's testure

any more?

jenbizagogo
04-30-2003, 12:07 PM
F*@! Ted Nugent-Goldfinger
The Last Leviathan-Rory Block

misanthropy
04-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Meat Is Murder :) The Smiths

dropscone
04-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Animal Kingdom - Prince (from The Truth)

That's about the most vegan song I know

Goldfinger are ace - they spend ages telling the audiance at the Reading Festival how that they should go veggie :)

shedonteatmeat
04-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Animal Farm (...about factory farming)
Be Healthy (...about veganism)

both by the Dead Prez

karabear
04-30-2003, 05:43 PM
killer of the soul - 108
i know citizen fish has a couple but i can't remember which ones right now
actually, there are a ton of punk and hardcore bands that have animal rights songs. i wish i could give more specific examples but i can't remember the specifics. it was all so long ago! :)

herbi
04-30-2003, 05:50 PM
heh heh... pretty much anything by Earth Crisis (they're one-a those Vegan sXe Hardcore bands mentioned above). "New Ethic" and "The Wrath of Sanity" stand out in my memory particularly... I would love to hear them covered in a different style! hee hee. Definitely a second on "Meat is Murder" too.

This is a great question! Now I'm racking my brain... all I can come up with on the spot that's not already listed is "Cowtown" by TMBG, which is not about AR (or anything identifiable?) at all, but does include the line, "The Cow's a friend to me!" :)

penfold
05-01-2003, 12:42 AM
not exactly vegan but: Me And The Farmer, by the housemartins

Rosemary
05-01-2003, 04:54 AM
Dana Lyons has written a number of animal rights songs and performs at animal rights conferences.

http://danalyons.com/

Beanqueen
05-01-2003, 06:20 AM
civilised man by shelter

karabear
05-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by herbi
heh heh... pretty much anything by Earth Crisis (they're one-a those Vegan sXe Hardcore bands mentioned above). "New Ethic" and "The Wrath of Sanity" stand out in my memory particularly... I would love to hear them covered in a different style! hee hee.

i totally forgot about earth crisis. i think maybe i blocked them from my memory. :p ah, my days of listening to really bad vegan straight edge hardcore bands and thinking they were so cool. hee hee good thing i didn't get one of those sxe tattoos like so many of the other kids around dc! :D

Vulpyne
05-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi,
How about Moby (He actually had an album called Animal Rights,
if I remember correctly). Project Pitchfork also has a few songs
dealing with animal rights rights/experimentation.
-Vulpyne

Husky Corn Star
05-02-2003, 06:58 AM
The Skeptics (http://www.noizyland.com/home/view_band_info.asp?ID=174) - Affco (released NZ 1987)

An old (1987) heavy punk Kiwi song about a Freezing Works Company (AFFCO). The Video is partially set in an actual Freezing Works and graphically shows what goes on in a Freezing Works (a mini documentary if you will, no bullshit & upfront), along with shots of cute little spring lambs running around a paddock, and the lead singer wrapped in gladwrap like a piece of meat - very heavy and very graphic and powerful.

Spaceman
05-02-2003, 07:24 AM
I think I remember mp3.com having a area for pro vege and animal rights songs.

herbi
05-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by karabear
i think maybe i blocked them from my memory. :p
good thing i didn't get one of those sxe tattoos... :D

ROTFL! :laugh:
Funny how one's tastes will change, huh? :)

shade
05-03-2003, 02:49 PM
silverchair - Spawn Again

Happy Ash
05-07-2003, 09:20 PM
"Cows With Guns" by Bob Rivers.. great song.. silly, but still cool.

chenresig
05-08-2003, 01:09 PM
"pigs... (in there)" by robert wyatt (http://www.nme.com/reviews/2133.htm) [an anti-factory farming song]

rebekahaha
05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
There's stuff by Oi Polloi & Propagandhi, and then there's Blinded By Science by Flux of Pink Indians ..,

Plus plenty more,..

beane
11-28-2004, 10:45 PM

Someone made a flash animation (http://www.3dweb.no/galleri/stuestolbm/bilder/anim1.swf) to go along with this song.

SillyGoose
11-29-2004, 04:26 AM
This Here Giraffe by The Flaming Lips

It's not really pro-veggie or animal rights but it's about a giraffe that, uh, laughs ... and ... stuff. :confused:

Okay, I got nothing.

lex_talionis
11-29-2004, 06:56 AM
everyone knows this, but Free Me by Goldfinger and also even though it's sappy, We Make a difference, by some lady who's referred to as the next Liberace (i think)

Also, I always associate When the Levee Breaks by Led Lep with the AL movement

Dave Noisy
11-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Hey, what about me:

Dairy Trucks:

http://www.TheNoisies.com/tunes/tffo.asp

Other songs touch on vegan issues too, but people like this one the most. =)

Emiloid
12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I just heard a song on my local community radio station called "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad" by Christine Kane (http://www.christinekane.com). (Aside from the title, there are no references to Orwell's Animal Farm.) Anyway, it's a song about a woman who takes in strays. Things get funny when she gets a live-in boyfriend. Here are a few lines:

Oh to be a dog or cat
Who's living in a house like that
Where sofas become scratching pads
Four legs good two legs bad

Jenny met Bob a man not a dog
And her mother had a moment of peace
Jenny thought he was her soul mate and a year after their first date
He moved in and started sharing her lease
There was so much to get used to like the dog hair in his tofu
And tripping over all the cat toys

Eventually the guy gives her an ultimatum... and you can guess how it turns out. :D

Tracy G
12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Cool... Christine Kane performed live here in Hastings a few years back, when she was still promoting the This Time Last Year album. The "Four Legs Good..." song is new, so I haven't heard it, but it's nice to know she's still out there doing her thing.

matriarco
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
heh heh... pretty much anything by Earth Crisis (they're one-a those Vegan sXe Hardcore bands mentioned above). "New Ethic" and "The Wrath of Sanity" stand out in my memory particularly... I would love to hear them covered in a different style! hee hee. Definitely a second on "Meat is Murder" too.

I realize this was posted forever ago, but Earth Crisis! I used to take voice lessons with the lead singer's mom. In her house she had all these music awards, hers for opera and his for crazy vegan screaming.

schmeel
12-17-2004, 01:20 PM
A good friend of mine was the drummer for Earth Crisis for a while. Wow, Matriarco, we have so much in common. We should date or something.

Stitches
12-18-2004, 01:41 AM
"Guns Don't Kill Ducklings, Ducklings Kill Ducklings" by Frenzal Rhomb.

Tofuy
12-18-2004, 08:07 PM
outkast have some vegan hip hop songs. there were some other artists but i'm not thinking too clearly right now...

walrus
12-18-2004, 08:20 PM
"Time Is Running Out" by Muse. When I first heard this song, that's what I thought it was about. I don't know what it's actually about, but the lyrics sound very AR-ish to me. Unless I just have AR on the brain. You can listen to it here:
http://www.filtermmm.com/muse/#
Actually, it looks like you can listen to the whole album, which I'm doing now. God, this band is awesome! I hope I'm not the only one here who's heard of them ... am I?

WadesMommy
12-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Pheobe on Friends sang this one:

The cow in the meadow goes moo.
The cow in the meadow goes moo.
Then the farmer whacks him on the head and grinds him up,
and that's how you get hamburger.

I made up a version with a pig:

The pig in the barnyard goes oink.
The pig in the barnyard goes oink.
Then the farmer whacks him on the head and grinds him up,
and that's how we get sausages.

LOL- all seriousness, I am SO going to make a CD with all these songs.

VsXe
05-01-2005, 04:16 AM
I will have to second that, or maybe third it. They are still awesome to me. I must give total respect for them because they are the reason I am vegan.
For all of the people who listen to Hip hop. Here are some of your favorite artists who are vegan.
Andre 3000-Outkast.
KRS one.
Both members of Dead Prez.
RZA-Wu Tang Clan.
That's all you get for now. But I will leave you all with a quote from The RZa..."I'm vegetarian bitch I don't need the beef!" Good stuff. Sorry for the curse. But is was in the verse.

Emiloid
05-02-2005, 01:51 AM
"Nellie the Elephant" by the Toy Dolls is about a circus elephant who breaks free and goes off into the jungle. Very catchy, too!

vivisectvi
01-19-2008, 12:43 AM
pathetic humanity by aus-rotten, open your eyes by goldfinger (although i'm sure someone said this) butchers by nausea, and this is not directed towards animal testing, this time imperfect by AFI.

lisa75
01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
There was a really cool band called "Vegan Reich" all of their songs are about animal rights and their music is awesome! I still love to listen to them. They have 2 CDs currently in stores. And yes, Earth Crisis is another really cool band, they are back together and touring again! They will be playing in NYC on March 1st.

lisa75
01-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Vegan Reich's CD is called "Vanguard".

Emiloid
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM

I have that song, but by Dana Lyons. :confused: