PDA

View Full Version : Non Stick Cookware

Critterluv
11-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Not sure if this is the appropiate place to post this, but here goes anyway....
There is a lot of negativity surrounding Teflon, non stick cookware and the toxins it produces.
I was just wondering if this is an issue with anyone and if anyone has any suggestions as to what to use as an alternative... would glass cookware be a good option.? Also, does anyone oppose using microwaves? I've heard that it is bad for you.
If anyone has any insight on these topics, please let me know.
Thanks

nauthiz
11-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Teflon is rather frightening if you use it above low or medium-low heat - it releases gases that may or may not be harmful to humans, but have killed people's pet birds. That said, everything I've found suggests that it's relatively safe if you stick to low temperatures and be careful not to scratch it with metal utensils and whatnot.

As for altnernatives, I try to avoid teflon and other nonstick cookware because, in addition to worries about poisonous gas and whatnot, a little sticking is desirable in almost all cases that I know of; the carmelization that comes from a little bit of sticking is a large part of the flavor in any kind of cooking where sticking is an issue. Instead, I opt for stainless steel, cast iron, or enamelware (such as Le Creuset) if you can get your hands on it. At the very least, the improvement in food quality is worth a little extra time spent with a scouring pad every so often.

My experience with glass cookware has been terrible. It seems much more easy to ruin than anything else; when stuff sticks to glass it really sticks.

As far as microwave radiation goes, OSHA (the USA's Occupational Safety and Health Somethingorother) has some information here. (http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/) My (basic) understanding is that, while nothing is ever entirely certain, it's generally not something to worry too much about in that if electromagnetic radiation in that particular frequency range is a problem then there are probably bigger bugaboos to worry about than microwave ovens.

downwithapathy
11-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Not sure if this is the appropiate place to post this, but here goes anyway....
There is a lot of negativity surrounding Teflon, non stick cookware and the toxins it produces.
I was just wondering if this is an issue with anyone and if anyone has any suggestions as to what to use as an alternative... would glass cookware be a good option.? Also, does anyone oppose using microwaves? I've heard that it is bad for you.
If anyone has any insight on these topics, please let me know.
Thanks
I'm ignoring most of this because I'm going through a lazy phase. :) I use a microwave when it's convenient to. It requires less energy to prepare meals in that way, so I feel relatively earth-friendly even if not absolutely self-friendly. I also use teflon cookware, only because that's what fell in to my hands.

bird
11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Not sure if this is the appropiate place to post this, but here goes anyway.... Maybe put this in Products General?

Vegit-8
11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I do not use any sort of no-stick cookware and I do not own or use microwave ovens. I consider them both to be threats to our health...and the no stick stuff is appalling for the environment.

I will post more on this late depending on what others post.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

jaxin
11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I dont have any hard facts.

I avoid non-stick cookware. I've read bad things about it, and common sense tells me I dont want any of that leeching into my food. I use cast iron and stainless steel. (If anyone knows a good spot to buy a cast iron POT let me know :P)

On microwaves, I dont like the idea. I use it once in a while when I'm in a hurry. I could probably live without one. The whole idea of them scares me sorta, but I guess I'm more concerned about what it's doing to my food. Like I said, no hard facts.. thats just the 'idea' I get about it. I'm just going with "better safe than sorry".

I think I should research it more.

quagga
11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
You might find some useful information/thoughts on the frying pan thread here. (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=4836)

Cast iron seems to be a safe haven for a lot of non-stick refugees and this is discussed at length throughout the thread.

LazyGirl
11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I have sets of stainless steel, cast iron, and glass cookware. Of the three, I use my glass stuff (http://www.visions-cookware.com/) the most. I like being able to see my rice just as it is about to boil over for the umpteenth time. :rolleyes:

I've honestly never had one problem with food sticking to my glass pots & pans, and I find them easier to clean than any of the others.

Miso Vegan
11-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Would you just look at this amazing and beautiful new idea in cookware?!?!
I'm in love.
I stumbled on it today, and I can't believe me eyes. :o Now, to just come up with that boatload of money I'd need to get them, or win the lottery. Unless my VRF Secret Santa happens to be very rich....

Soapstone cookware (http://store.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6004%2D01106%2D0000)

atouria
11-09-2006, 07:05 PM
You should get it! Even if just for the cool name it has...

Known and used by the Brazilians for generations this soapstone pot pot is handmade and able to withstand temperatures twice as high as cast iron and other metal cookware.

Wee, for the soapstone pot pot!

bird
11-09-2006, 07:05 PM
hee, I noticed that too! :p

atouria
11-09-2006, 07:07 PM
And she could talk to it like the Tom Tom navigation device.

"How much more basil do I need, pot pot?"

"Should I let this simmer 5 or 10 more minutes, pot pot?"

Hehehe.

Miso Vegan
11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
atouria, yer crackin' me up! :laugh:

Do you need a good scrubbin, pot pot?

bird
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
have you petted your pot pot today?

bluedawg
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
hee, I noticed that too! :p
i seriously just read this post and i was all, "what the hell am i talking about? i didn't notice that! why would i lie to these nice peop... oh."

quagga
11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Would you just look at this amazing and beautiful new idea in cookware?!?!
I'm in love.
I stumbled on it today, and I can't believe me eyes. :o Now, to just come up with that boatload of money I'd need to get them, or win the lottery. Unless my VRF Secret Santa happens to be very rich....

Soapstone cookware (http://store.greenfeet.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6004%2D01106%2D0000)

Hey! The Greenfeet store [where your link is from] is in Chico! When you posted this, I thought, "Oh yeah, I remember handling some soapstone pot pots at the Greenfeet store." That stuff is heavy, and I worry about its cleanability. It's gorgeous to look at brand-new.

Miso Vegan
11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
quagga, I noticed that. I figger if I ever make it down to Chico I'd have to buy the pot pot on the grounds that I wouldn't have to pay for shipping those very heavy items.

According to their site, it seems about as easy to clean as cast iron. Over time it gets a natural non-stickness, and you usually use water and a cloth to clean, very seldom soap.

Miso Vegan
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
i seriously just read this post and i was all, "what the hell am i talking about? i didn't notice that! why would i lie to these nice peop... oh."
I though it was you, bluedawg, until you posted this.

vegancellist
11-09-2006, 10:30 PM
i've been using non-stick for about 5 years now and i feel weird everytime that i use it. i know i'm being paranoid but i can just feel the chemicals entering my body with every bite. i finally ordered a new set of stainless steel cookware and i can't wait to use it for Spanksgiving. i also ordered a cast iron griddle which i will be testing out this weekend....yum vegan pancakes. As for microwaves...they're weird. i use to use them all the time but the more i think about them the more they creep me out. i don't think i've used one in about 2 years.

mamaquilla
11-09-2006, 11:01 PM
that soapstone is so AWSOME! what a grand idea :happy: i thought soapstone was easily broken tho, must not be if they make pots out of it???

oh my oh my oh my... a griddle and pots and an appatizer thingy...im in love

grog
11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
i may have to go look at that griddle.

VeganKate
11-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Also, does anyone oppose using microwaves? I've heard that it is bad for you.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (who are not strictly vegan, but are relatively unbiased and scientific) did a really good piece on the microwave myths in 2005.

Here it is:
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/04_05/microwavemyths.pdf

--Kate

nauthiz
11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
that soapstone is so AWSOME! what a grand idea :happy: i thought soapstone was easily broken tho, must not be if they make pots out of it???

It's pretty brittle, but not so much so that I think it'd be a huge problem. Unless you make a habit of dropping your cookware.

bird
11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (who are not strictly vegan, but are relatively unbiased and scientific) did a really good piece on the microwave myths in 2005.

Here it is:
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/04_05/microwavemyths.pdf

--KateThanks, Kate, that was very interesting!

quagga
11-10-2006, 01:13 PM

oh my oh my oh my... a griddle and pots and an appatizer thingy...im in love

Some soapstone has asbestos in it, but I'm sure that the material used for cooking is asbestos-free.

Tigerlily
11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Sadly, I do not use only non-stick cookware. All of our sauce pans and pots are stainless steel but our woks and frying pans are non-stick (I use those more for cooking). I still live at home so I use all of my mother's dishes. Free cookware, not complaining. :p

When I move out on my own, I think I will buy all stainless steel or some other metal that's cheap. Cast iron seems nice but will be way out of my budget (I will be an university student working part-time).

atouria
04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok, I need a new saute pan (a large one) and some cookie sheets. Yay for replacing non-stick! I'm still shopping.

What do you think of the silicone non stick mats, do they fall in the same category as non-stick cookware/bakeware?

mamaquilla
04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I have found silicone to totally mess with my vegan baking in a BAD way. If you read the intro to VCTOTW she talks about test bakers of hers not having good luck with silicone either.
FYI :)

nauthiz
04-20-2007, 12:22 PM
The wall of foul odor that knocked me over the last time I was in the kitchen while someone opened a hot oven containing silicone bakeware is enough to keep me from giving any of the stuff a try. Does all silicone bakeware do that?

quagga
04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
As I've said somewhere on VRF, I use silicone muffin cups all the time and they work well--the cupcakes bake perfectly and release with ease from the cup. I have never noticed any odors other than yummy baking goodness.

Also somewhere on VRF is a post by someone talking about a NYT article about how there are differences in composition between different silicone products. Some have non-silicone fillers (which make for cheaper products). These can be identified by the way they turn white when you stretch them.

Not sure if this helps.

atouria
04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Interesting info, quagga. I've never used any silicone stuff, so I had no clue on the smell or ways to check quality.

stegan
04-20-2007, 02:30 PM
We've been using silicone baking cups with nothing but delicious results- my only complaint is that baking bread in the silicone bread pan sort of explodes and pushes out the sides. But it's not that major.

nauthiz
04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
What's a good brand to look for for silicone?

atouria
04-20-2007, 02:38 PM
So where do you guys buy your stainless steel cookware? Everywhere I look, a 3qt saute pan is nearly $200.

stegan
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
So where do you guys buy your stainless steel cookware? Everywhere I look, a 3qt saute pan is nearly $200.
If you're willing to buy a second, I'd say TJ Maxx or Marshall's or some store like that- they always seem to have the expensive stuff for cheap.

nauthiz
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM

:o

Last time I was at Ikea the prices on stainless steel cookware were about 1/10 of that. Target, too.

atouria
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
It's because I'm in walking distance of Williams Sonoma & Crate & Barrel. I don't have access to a car with a carseat during the day, so I shop where I can walk. And we need a new saute pan like last week.

Thanks stegan and nauthiz!

Miso Vegan
04-20-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/saute_pan.htm

And interesting site about choosing a saute pan.

Anyway, what about a tempered pan like Circulon or Faberware? Of course if by "everywhere" you mean WS and C&B, then your options are limited, but if you're having to get in your car I second stegan's suggestion, or head to an outlet mall if there's one not too far from you.

atouria
04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Yah, I was exaggerating a smidge. :silly: We won't be spending that kind of money on 1 pan, so we'll have a look at other places when hubby gets home.

Thanks for the link!

stegan
04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Also, stores like Linens and Things or Bed Bath & Beyond should be having their massive "we'll do anything to draw shoppers in the offseason" sales- you might get a deal.

atouria
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Ah, it's not just the stores, it's the brand I was looking at that was so expensive: All-Clad (http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=100183). We use the saute pan for nearly every single meal, so a good one wouldn't be a bad investment. I'll check LNT and BBB for sure!

Miso, that article was great!

Back to non-stick cookware.. is it recycleable at all? I hate throwing out that kind of stuff. What can be done with it?

grog
04-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Get a wok :)

Mine with a lid and a steamer was like 30 bucks. Sauteing sounds suspiciously like stir frying.

atouria
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
The whole flat bottom range top thingy causes problems. Trust me, we could totally use a wok!

grog
04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
The whole flat bottom range top thingy causes problems. Trust me, we could totally use a wok!

ah right.

i tend to like my woks like i like my women...round bottomed.

mamaquilla
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Miso Vegan
04-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Back to non-stick cookware.. is it recycleable at all? I hate throwing out that kind of stuff. What can be done with it?

Non-stick as in Teflon? I don't think it's recyclable. That is, it's recyclable, but I don't know where you'd take it.

You could consider donating it, or if it's really bad, just toss it. :umm:

quagga
04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
What's a good brand to look for for silicone?

My muffin cups are Sur La Table branded, made in USA (heh, I never noticed that), Sili-Cups. They cost a whopping $21.95 for 12. Yes, I gulped when I bought them. However, I used to shy away from making cupcakes/muffins before this because I hated 1) failure to release issues when baking directly in the muffin pan and 2) cleaning issues + failure to release issues when baking with paper cups. These little cups have never given me any problem and are easy to clean.

Et voila! (http://www.surlatable.com/product/reusable+sili-cups%26%238482-%2C+set+of+12+pastel.do?search=basic&keyword=432856&sortby=shortdesc&asc=true&page=1)

nauthiz
04-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Since nonstick cookware is made of mixed materials, I'm pretty sure nobody will recycle it.

bird
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
My muffin cups are Sur La Table branded, made in USA (heh, I never noticed that), Sili-Cups. They cost a whopping $21.95 for 12. Yes, I gulped when I bought them. However, I used to shy away from making cupcakes/muffins before this because I hated 1) failure to release issues when baking directly in the muffin pan and 2) cleaning issues + failure to release issues when baking with paper cups. These little cups have never given me any problem and are easy to clean.

Et voila! (http://www.surlatable.com/product/reusable+sili-cups%26%238482-%2C+set+of+12+pastel.do?search=basic&keyword=432856&sortby=shortdesc&asc=true&page=1)
quagga those are beautiful! i love the easter egg colors. :)

Miso Vegan
04-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Speaking of silicone, everywhere I read says you still have to grease them. Sounds like it's not true of Sili-Cups? Maybe it's a better quality?

Should I take the Target ones off my wedding registry?
:thinking:

Emiloid
04-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Get it used! They're $5 or less. A little hard to find, but definitely worth it.

quagga
04-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Speaking of silicone, everywhere I read says you still have to grease them. Sounds like it's not true of Sili-Cups? Maybe it's a better quality?

Goodness, I'd never ever bake cupcakes if I had to grease and flour every muffin cup! I'm a lazy baker! I'll grease and flour cake/loaf pans, but not muffin cups.

Miso Vegan
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Today's Ideal Bite (http://www.idealbite.com/)had a couple of interesting non-stick eco-friendly cookware brands, in addition to Le Creuset.

Cuisinart Green Gourmet (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=113717) - three pan options with ceramic nonstick interiors and stay-cool handles and made with 70% recycled steel; available at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Also: grill pans ($25-$70).

GreenPan (http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/todd-english-thermolon_c-qc_a-2117-4808_xc.aspx?prev=hp!4808&rdr=1&sourceid=googbg&cm_mmc=Paid%20Search%20Brand-_-Google-_-Cooking-_-green%20pan) - its Thermolon material requires less energy to treat than the usual no-stick options; three color choices ($20-$140).

DCouch
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, it's hard for me to believe teflon is safe when I know it kills birds when used at high temperatures.

I have to close the kitchen door when cooking or my parrot could die.

What is that doing to my food? Canary in a coalmine?

My next pans are gonna be all steel I think.

Emiloid
08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
If you really have a bird, you should probably do away with all of your teflon-type cookware now instead of waiting to replace it. Even if you shut the door, don't you think the fumes could get to it? :umm:

sitting_vegan
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I have birds and one teflon pan. My understanding is that you have to leave the pan empty on the high heat for some time for fumes to be released (practically to the point of fire). I think normal use is fine.