PDA

View Full Version : Rehabilitating Birds?

San
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any experience rehabilitating parrots? Know of any good links? My boyfriend's sister has a budgie that suffers the same fate most budgies do, live in a cage on a seed diet, a fear of people, and no interaction with people or other birds. I've gotten to the point where I don't like going to my boyfriend's house because it upsets me seeing a living animal look like a piece of furnature, so I've decided to try and do something since he oblivious to my hints that bird's needs aren't being met.

Birdy
05-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Oh dear, that's even worse than I thought.

My mom has a friend who keeps her budgies in a cage as ornamental pieces as well. Just thinking about them saddens me beyond description. When they look out the window and see other birds fly, they start flapping around in their cage in a desperate simulation of flight. They've never been allowed to exercise, to spread their wings and experience the joy of rising in the air. It's all just so sad.

Have you tried doing a search on the net? You may find kind, bird-loving people willing to adopt the budgie.

San
05-07-2003, 08:42 AM
I'd be willing to adopt him/her, but it would be kind of rude to ask my boyfriend if I can have his sister's bird.

I want to build an avairy for my conure because she's been depressed since her accident, I'm hoping that will cheer her up. I'm not sure if she can fly with only one eye, but maybe I can take in a few depressed birds and at least give them some room to fly. It's just a matter of getting my parents to help me, since I know nothing about building.

Birdy
05-07-2003, 09:02 AM
When did the accident take place? And how did you manage to rescue the poor creature? It's really very hard to save a bird from the clutches of a cat - I've had a gruesome experience with it.

I'm pretty sure she'll be able to fly with one eye, but honestly, be careful if you decide to adopt any companions for her. I'm not sure about conures, but I've heard that chickens tend to "go for the eye" when they're angry.

San
05-07-2003, 03:17 PM
I was careless because my own cats don't bother the birds, not even the baby chicks, so I had her out and she tried to fly back to her cage and the cat jumped up and got her. I guess I shook the cat until she dropped her, I was sort of in a fit of rage so I don't remember much! But I remember I got the cat off of her and she pounced on the bird again!

We had to take her to an emergency clinic because it was night. That was interesting. A lot of strange folks. In the two hours I was there I got to see a lot of bad pet owners.

herbi
05-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by San
We had to take her to an emergency clinic ... I got to see a lot of bad pet owners.

Ahhh, but they could've been so much worse! At least they were bringing their pets to the emergency clinic!!! Many people, sadly, wouldn't bother. :(

I will ask my bird-crazy Seattle friend if her Cockatoo, Penelope, has any good links to recommend to you! :)