PDA

View Full Version : Question that must be answered!

wildmindgirl
08-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I have a burning question that's killing me, but first what I really wanted to say......

We were walking around Greenlake this morning at 8 and we saw 2 racoons right at waters edge! I was climbing all over Jeff freaking out in my excitement. Oh my goodness they were so sweet digging in the mud and wrestling with each other just like puppies. We were about 15 feet from them so we got a great view and I tried to not kick myself too hard because I had, once again, forgotten my camera. I've never seen a racoon in real life--just dead ones on the road---a lot of dead ones; which is so wierd because we spent like 16 years out in Graham in the woods-never saw one. It was such pure joy.

On Tuesday I was down at the lake at 6 a.m. and I saw a magificent blue Heron, close-up, again, sans-camera. I'm fairly giddy when I see any animals out in the wild and I really can't believe how many are there around Greenlake.

So here's my question. It's about the three ducks at Greenlake. You know the three ducks I mean. The white one, the black one and the brown one--Jeff calls them the "Three Amigos". You know how ducks pair up for life? Well there's that big white barnyard-looking duck who is paired up with both a black barn-yard looking duck and the third partner who is a regular brown duck like all the ducks at the lake.

We love those ducks. It seems like such a lesson for humanity...3 ducks who really shouldn't be together, (usually the extra gets run off-always I thought)--and they don't match, they're all different ducks. My theory is that the white one and the black one were someone's easter gift, dropped off at the lake sometime years ago, and the brown one lost its mate but because (maybe) barnyard ducks tend to flock as opposed to mate for life, they allowed the brown duck to join them. If you know the real truth please share it with me. I HATE unanswered questions. (You can imagine how frustrating the rest of life is for me!)

I put a pic of them on my blog (link on my profile/sidebar)....I figured a picture on VRF wasn't a great idea...bandwidth and all. If you're from the area and you know, do tell!:D

bird
08-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Gosh, I loved spending time around Greenlake. That was the best thing about living in Greenwood. I've seen the white duck that you're referring to, but not the others. Are you sure of their genders? The white duck I'm thinking of is a mommy.

Miso Vegan
08-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I have no idea. :umm: But I do know that leptospirosis (http://www.metrokc.gov/health/env_hlth/leptospirosis.htm) is going around.... :uhoh:

wildmindgirl
08-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Well wow...good thing I didn't pet those raccoons! That word even sounds scary. With so many dogs around Seattle, not to mention other animals (raccoons, the rats I see along the shore-gross) it could be a huge problem.

Miso Vegan
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
you didn't just say that rats are gross, did you?

:ducking and running from seitanic vegan:

wildmindgirl
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Oops, I meant rats are perfectly lovely. I put them in my pockets and bring them home for tea. That's what I meant.