PDA

View Full Version : Jo's Vegan Story

Jos
04-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi, I'm 23 yrs. old. I became a vegetarian when I was 14 or 15 (can't remember exactly). It wasn't a big deal to me at all, so I can't even tell you what pushed me to do it. My best friend and I both stopped eating meat "cold turkey". We had another friend who claimed to have been a vegetarian all her life although I clearly remember her eating chicken nuggets at school :confused:

Anyway, I did a speech on vegetarianism in college, and realized, like most of you, that being a l/o vegetarian wasn't healthy like I thought, didn't mean I wasn't hurting animals..... and all the million other reasons to go vegan. I thought about it, and for a couple weeks limited my dairy. One day I caved and bought a peice of pizza at work. I had stomach cramps for a couple of days. After that, my cheese cravings disapeared. I only remember how I felt after eating it ...

Since then, around Sept. 1, 2002, I haven't had any dairy.
I feel great. I did have to work on feeling great though. I've added a b-complex vitamin and Flax Seed Oil to prevent the blues. I also exercise regularly with yoga, pilates and jogging. Before coming a vegan I weighed 130 (5'7") and weigh 125 now. Just to show that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean being too skinny.

Guess that's about it. No vegan friends. One vegetarian friend. No vegetarian or vegan family.

Jo

Vegit-8
04-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Welcome Jo.:)
You are sure to maker some good veg*an friends here on VRF.
Thanks for sharing your storey.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Spaceman
04-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Pizza was the one thing I thought I would miss but I have no desire for it at all.

Welcome!

Lacykitten
04-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Jos
Before coming a vegan I weighed 130 (5'7") and weigh 125 now. Just to show that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean being too skinny.

Umm, just curious, but what weight ranges are you using for healthy weights or being "too skinny"??

I'm 5'2" and my doctors (both normal and naturopath) and the body mass index say 115-125 is the healthy range for my height... so if you're 5'7" and 125 - well I'm pretty sure that's too skinny, becaus that's /my/ healthy weight and you're 5 inches taller than I am.

FireHorse
04-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Loved reading your story.

Lacy, those BMI things do not take into account the wide variety of body types there truly are. For Jo that might be a good size. In the end, what does size matter if you are healthy? That's the only criteria i would use.

Rosemary
04-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Lacykitten
Umm, just curious, but what weight ranges are you using for healthy weights or being "too skinny"??

I'm 5'2" and my doctors (both normal and naturopath) and the body mass index say 115-125 is the healthy range for my height... so if you're 5'7" and 125 - well I'm pretty sure that's too skinny, becaus that's /my/ healthy weight and you're 5 inches taller than I am.

It does sound a bit thin (unless the weight is in kilos :) ) but some people are built thinner than others. In high school I was just naturally very thin (even though my dad was trying to fatten me up and I was also trying to gain by eating big bowls of french fries and big bowls of butter pecan icecream every night) and there were rumors going around that I was anorexic, which was profoundly annoying.

So I don't want to assume that a person is too skinny just because s/he is skinny. I think that a person's health should be assessed by how well his/her body is functioning, not by weight.

Halfelf
04-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Ugh, when I go by those pre-set height vs weight scales, I feel like I'm horridly underweight. I'm not, though! I just have a small frame and a fast metabolism!

Er... btw... welcome!

Jeez, I'm rude!! hehe
:thinking:

Lacykitten
04-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Well if 115-120 lb is the good weight for a small frame 5'2" person it can't really logically be anything but underweight for someone who's 5'7" even if they have a small frame.

Fast metabolism and small frame can still lead to you being underweight HalfElf. ;) I was 95-100lb throughout high school and that was quite underweight. My cousin thought I was anorexic as well.

Anyway as I said, it was doctors as well, not just BMI. I'm not saying people aren't healthy or that there's anything wrong with being underweight, you can be underweight and perfectly healthy due to various things including a high metabolism.. It's just that weight/height ratios like that make me think of 'too skinny' or 'underweight' because I have a tiny frame and I know what my healthy weight is supposed to be... and if you're that much taller than me... we can't have the same healthy weight. ;)

Being skinny/underweight is not the same as being healthy/unhealthy. There are lots of heavier/larger bodied people who are healthier than I am. I never said anything about health. :)

Halfelf
04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Hmm. I have more to say but I don't wanna highjack this thread! :silly:

VeganKen
04-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Welcome Jo!

spacehippy
04-22-2003, 11:03 PM
wow! welcome! What part of Michigan are you from?

Spaceman
04-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by FireHorse

In the end, what does size matter if you are healthy? That's the only criteria i would use.

Excellent point!

Jos
04-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Oh god, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like that is a good weight for everyone. Weight can be sooo decieving. I am happy with my body and I am thin although trust me I am pleasantly soft : ) I have a friend who wears a size 2, is two inches shorter than me and weighs the same as me. I wear a 5-7 and am the same weight. I have another friend who is the same height as me, more tone, thiner and 10 lbs heavier. Basically ignore the weight and height thing... I'm just not super skinny. I'm healthy. It wasn't meant to be a comparison or anything like that. I definitley didn't intend to offend anyone.

Once again I apologize. Size doesn't matter, health matters. Just meant to say I'm healthy.

Thank you all for the welcome though. It's very nice.

Spacehippy, I live in Wyandotte and work in Dearborn. I frequently make trips to Ann Arbor for Whole Foods and Seva... YUM : ) I'm craving Sweet Potato Fries now....

Lacykitten
04-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Jos, I'm sorry as well, I didn't mean to go off on a weight kick. I've been dealing with a lot of "I'm x height and x weight but I'm not actually thin" on online things, when if you're 5'10" and weigh 110 lb you CAN'T "wear your weight well" lol.. and it's just gotten to me how so many people have like this insane view of what weight and height combinations look like or what is "thin" or whatnot.. I realize that people of differeing heights can be similar weights but.. that one is bound to be thinner if they are taller than the other.. ;)

Anyway welcome to the boards, it's great to meet you, it's good to know you're healthy happy, there's nothing wrong with being thin or skinny or underweight as long as you're healthy, so party on! ^_^

And forgive my temporary insanity on the weight thing.

shedonteatmeat
04-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Welcome Jos! :banana:

Jos
04-23-2003, 10:56 AM
No Problem. I also get upset about reading those types of things. That's why I feel bad about coming across like that.

I couldn't believe it when I read what people eat on a normal day. I eat all day long! I can't believe how little some people eat!! I love eating and can't wait until the next meal :rolleyes: Snacks are one of my favorite things too! Cookies, Chips, Salsa, Garlic Bread, Hummus, more cookies...yummmm...

Jo

Lacykitten
04-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Mmm, hummus and cookies.. and.. yea. *giggle* I'm a snacker, I eat little things throughout the day. I never eat the same thing every day. If I bake cookies or cake or something I'll have some throughout, and little nibbles of chocolate here and there, and hummus with pita or bread if I have any hummus mix... etc etc.

Food rocks!! *drools* :D

madpogue
04-24-2003, 01:01 AM
We bugged outta Detroit about 11 years ago. This is a much "saner" place to live, but we still miss the scene there. Really miss La Shish and all the other great middle eastern joints around town, esp. east Dearborn. The middle eastern food here is super-midwestern-Americanized. You got it so good there (if you're into middle eastern, anyway)!

Geez, I don't think I knew any veg*ns in the downriver area. I grew up (grew up? me?) in Dearborn, but I was an omni (and drove an Omni) then.

If you ever get to the east side, stop in Atom's Cafe (http://www.atomsjuicecafe.cafeprogressive.com/) on Fisher Rd. in Grosse Pointe. It's an all-vegan juice and soup joint, run by my old friend John. Might be a place to turn up other SE Mich veg*ns. If you go, tell 'im Paul (Linus's brother) sez "Yo, hey, from Madtown".

Anyway, welcome, and a shout-out to all my old homies (whom you probably don't know...).

Jos
04-24-2003, 09:24 AM
I work down the street from Lashish and eat there at least once a week! Yesterday I had some crushed lentil soup and a falafel sandwich. They also have the BEST hummous I've ever tried. Yum!

I also grew up in Dearborn. I went to Edsel Ford and Dearborn High School. I was a Gibblet if you know what that means. I don't know any local vegans either. I hear they exist though : )

I'll be sure to go to that soup place. I'll tell them you reccomended it.

Jo

madpogue
04-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Jos
I work down the street from Lashish and eat there at least once a week! Yesterday I had some crushed lentil soup and a falafel sandwich. They also have the BEST hummous I've ever tried. Yum! Oh, sure, go ahead, rub it in! [Need a smilie for "drooling" here.]

I also grew up in Dearborn. I went to Edsel Ford and Dearborn High School. I was a Gibblet if you know what that means. I don't know any local vegans either. I hear they exist though : ) No, I don't know what that means. I went to Dearborn High (one of the few blocks on the "other side of the tracks" that doesn't go to Edsel). But that was literally decades ago, long before I thought about veg*nism, et al.

madpogue
04-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Could "Gibblet" be some oblique reference to Russ Gibb? OMG, the world's second oldest hippie! If that's the right reference, do tell...

Jos
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Heh, you got it! I was a Russ... Giblet. The term is used for people who took his class and were really into it. Mostly used as a derogatory term to mean we did whatever he said. I had a blast though. I swear my senior year I spent half my day in that class every day. I would skip pyshics almost every day and hang out in video. I was "secretary" for video, did back porch, was chosen for a summer scholarship at Columbia College in Chicago. All of that : ) Fun times! I miss those days. I was actually going to go to School of Visual Arts for Video Production. I was accepted, and registered, and moved to New York, but even w/ scholarship $ and loans, I couldn't afford it in the end. It was over 20,000 a year not including housing. Now I'm going into special education....

Wow, there's my life story... so far anyway : )

Jos
04-24-2003, 12:26 PM
P.s. Me and my work friends just got back from Lashish. I wasn't kidding when I said I eat there all the time.

madpogue
04-24-2003, 05:57 PM
We were calling Russ the "world's oldest hippie" when I was there, and, um, well, this year will (if I decide to go) be my 25-year reunion. Geez, he must be about 105 now.

Jos
04-25-2003, 08:15 AM
He's definitly up there. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, but a friend of mine sees him occasionally. He says he's going to retire every year but then can't because he starts caring about the Freshmen kids and wants to see them through graduation. It's a cycle. It keeps him happy.

herbi
04-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Welcome Jos!

Latecomer to the story and I feel like I'm simultaneously interrupting the hummus chat (mmmmm.... hummus.....) and dredging up long-forgotten topics, but I feel compelled to say that I am darn near the exact same size as you and also consider myself not too skinny! In decent shape health/strength-wise, certainly not OVERweight, with my fair share of "softness" as you so kindly term it. ;) But pre-vegan ranged from 130-135, post vegan range about 5-10 pounds less. Also 5'7". ("A very good height indeed!" if I may be permitted to quote the Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland... :)) I know there's no point to that. Just thought it was funny. We can prolly share clothes. :D

Jos
04-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Herbi. That IS interesting : ) Thank you for the welcome.