PDA

View Full Version : London, England vegans

stoffer
04-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Hi to all in London, England or surrounding areas. Are there any of you on these boards?:)

purplemackerel
04-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Hi there. Red (lentils) and I live in sunny Sheffield. We've both lived in London (and lots of other places) too. Welcome to the board. :banana:

dropscone
04-28-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm in Leicester.

It's not bad for vegans. Check out Currant Affairs if you ever visit, it has really nice pasties.

Also there are a ton of pure vegetarian indian restaurants.

goth-UK
05-04-2003, 07:45 PM
England citywide visits whilst seeking home from home and/or->
Vegan Dwelling/Project.********************************

Hello Englanders.......
...I am Within easy...
....."bus/train reach"
........of Birmingham
(Central England).

I am not limited to Birmingham (or England for that matter should the need call) but whilstever I'm a national of the UK I am looking to move anyway, as I need a big change and outlook far beyond that of the hole of live in.
........................And so get out of my current area before I turn
to stone, and fairly imminently I am keen to visit Manchester/Leeds/Sheffield regions (in the main) for the Summer or whenever, if anyone living in those area can help out tellng me what to expect from living up North...and the life up there in general....

I am especially interested in fitness pursuits fuelled by vegan enthusiasm and just getting out more and actually getting a life and by going to places (cities & countryside) I hope I can find some vegan friends in North England <<-Either/Or->> Or just as suiting for contacts or friendship could just as well be down as far as London or any where in between, could also be great... I know sure as heck there must be some vegans covering such a large area and not just in the ciites either!!!! :)

Whilst obviously seeking friends, I'm also very obviously trying to make a move of some sort in doing so and trying to find a place,
(or view a place already I've known of in advance)...in which I'll hopefully reside in fairly long term....somwhere, preferably quite close (relatively near) to city-dweller amenities...[vegan shops/
health food stores etc].

OR->> Short-term/((verses LongTerm aims))
^^^^^^^^^^^^
If anyone can suggest anything that will give me a break from my current situation for a while, that would be good too, on the basis
of getting an impression of whether I could envisage being physically staying put in such areas,

and for the longer term, as outlined above my view of things in excess of "just a break"...might include a so called "work holiday"
or something vegan/animal orientated.....or veganics horticulture stuff or related schemes/projects.

Anything pertaining to IMPROVING & gaining experience of vegan based living among people with an openmind and assessment as to where is best for vegans all round. (countrywide).

Either ways I REALLY need to get out and about more to be sure of where I want to end up so that I can get a better idea of what my future is demanding and willing the way of things to be of what I must do to make life more fulfilling AND purposeful with a means to good health and prosperity...etCetera,etc,etc,etc. :D

purplemackerel
05-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Sheffield is almost as good as Brighton for being being vegan - there are lots of places to eat, and some great HFS. Although it's the 4th largest city in the UK it has quite a village like atmosphere - I always seem to bump into people I know. Housing is cheap (although in relative terms some areas are pricey), and there are some studenty areas. The people here are nice too - they don't moan as much as the southerners. It has a really good independent cinema - The Showroom.
You can get out into the beautuful Peak district. Manchester, and leeds are really easy to get to.
Red and I had 24 hours to decide whether to go to Plymouth (south coast), or Sheffield, and we definitely made the right decision.
Not sure if any of that has been of any use??? :rolleyes:

TomJ
07-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Hi!
I'm from England too. I study in Cardiff at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, and live in Birmingham during the holidays.

This is my first post to the forum - I really like reading the posts, and I'm looking forward to participating.

Cheers!

Tom

dropscone
07-15-2003, 05:46 AM
TomJ - Ooh, Cardiff, eh?

I've just started going out with someone who lives just outside Cardiff. Do you know any good vegan-friendly places to eat out in the area?

And have you been to the pub near the Norwegian Church by the bay? They sell lots of Sam Smiths beer :)

stoffer
07-15-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm from Aberdare, about 30 miles from Cardiff, although I live in London now. I don't think they know what veganism is in Aberdare.
I have had some vegan food in Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff which is a cool place for films and stuff. I do get back to Wales now and again as I have family there.

TomJ
07-16-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi there!
Chapter Arts Centre is great, and they quite often have super German beer festivals.

Near Cardiff, there's a great restaurant in Penarth called "Tomlins". It's completely vegetarian and they cater for vegans. It's really nice.

In the Bay, there's also a place called "Cafe Naz", which serves contemporary Bangledeshi quisine. That's nice too.

I've never been to the pub by Norwegian church, but I'll definitely try it out

Cheers!
Tom

jagged-little-pill
09-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi there!
Chapter Arts Centre is great, and they quite often have super German beer festivals.

Near Cardiff, there's a great restaurant in Penarth called "Tomlins". It's completely vegetarian and they cater for vegans. It's really nice.

In the Bay, there's also a place called "Cafe Naz", which serves contemporary Bangledeshi quisine. That's nice too.

I've never been to the pub by Norwegian church, but I'll definitely try it out

Cheers!
Tom

omg omg omg..I used to love cafe naz when I was just vegitarian...:chef: do they do vegan meals as well? And the norwegen church is so cute...I love it there!

I've never been to Tomlins tho...I'll have to check it out! :nod:

dropscone
09-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately Tomlins closed down a few months ago - it was a shame because it was nice, and seemed popular the one time I got to go there - I think the owners emigrated or something though.

And Ancient Rain and Rendezvous in Aberyswtwyth closed down :(

All the veggie places I know in Wales seem to be disappearing at the moment. Time to start some more, methinks - who's with me?

(I'm semi-serious here, I've always fancied opening a veggie cafe in Wales, and if anyone else fancies it drop me a line - we could do it workers co-operative stylee like thePogo Cafe (http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/) ) :cool:

jagged-little-pill
09-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately Tomlins closed down a few months ago - it was a shame because it was nice, and seemed popular the one time I got to go there - I think the owners emigrated or something though.

And Ancient Rain and Rendezvous in Aberyswtwyth closed down :(

All the veggie places I know in Wales seem to be disappearing at the moment. Time to start some more, methinks - who's with me?

(I'm semi-serious here, I've always fancied opening a veggie cafe in Wales, and if anyone else fancies it drop me a line - we could do it workers co-operative stylee like thePogo Cafe (http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/) ) :cool:
weeeee...I'm interested...but I'm poor and have no money so...urm...maybe in a few years time! :cool:

goth-UK
09-24-2004, 03:54 AM
NEW UPDATE of my intentions of where to be and where to live...

Unlike in my (number#4) OLD post above, contrary to that, I have updated my situation drastically to one of moving South asap, in the opposite direction
to live somewhere near the coast. Probably somewhere inbetween Bournemouth town and the vegan-popular Brighton city.... And if anyone can help with that or even so much as suggest where I can store my gear whilst
I am finding a place, please let me know.

stoffer
09-24-2004, 08:22 AM
I lived in Brighton for just over a year: it's a cool place to live and definetely vegan friendly. Very good for nightlife, but also v. expensive including rent. I found it very difficult to find a place to live, because so many people want to live there- you had to be so quick. People there tend to be either v.trendy types or townies who've lived there all their lives. Big gay scene also.
Bournemouth is also very nice (they have sandy beaches whereas Brighton has pebbles). Lots of families on holiday in the summer, lots of people go there to retire, so definetely not as exciting as Brighton but I've always found it very relaxing there.

stoffer
09-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Bournemouth a lot cheaper than Brighton also.

goth-UK
09-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks Stoffer, I am much more familiar with Bournemouth than Brighton. I cannot even remember when or if ever I was in Brighton. As a kid maybe. Who knows. Anyways I like Bournemouth and Southampton becoz of easy NewForest access, those
being the two towns either side of it. Trouble is, though I like Bournemouth, it probably
has just one or two healthfood stores (least of all a vegan dominated shop). The one (and possibly only health food store?) that I went in is tiny.

btw: Just got back from London for a food shop. I More pertinent to the point is that
I got off these frigging boards and into real living for just 2 days. That is progress, lol.
Sad but true. So then a highlight of which was I visited Highgate cemetery with a friend. Yes, I said- highlight, we're into goth etc.

catlike
09-24-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't know if this counts but I want to move to England. I figure it would be hard to get a permanent visa though.

jagged-little-pill
10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I found a new (for me) vegan cafe in Cardiff so I thought I'd tell you about! It's called the europa cafe and it's opposite the castle further down shops from like forbidden planet, blacks etc.

It's not all vegan (it does serve meat and dairy and stuff) but the stuff that is suitable for vegans is maked on the menu and it all looks pretty damn tasty!

vegan potato wedges
vegan soup
vegan cooked breakfasts etc.

so urm...if you go there and you see a short, trampy looking person with a pink carnation on their shirt...that'd be me :o

TomJ
10-09-2004, 06:58 AM
:confused: I haven't been on here for ages!

Dropscone - Setting up a vegan restaurant/cafe in Cardiff sounds good. I'm a quick veg prep chef and an awesome kitchen porter with years of experience :cool: If you ever need a hand, give me a shout!

jagged-little-pill - Hi, I'm studying in Cardiff too. What are you studying. And yeh, Cafe Naz caters vegan.

Tom

jagged-little-pill
10-09-2004, 07:26 AM
jagged-little-pill - Hi, I'm studying in Cardiff too. What are you studying. And yeh, Cafe Naz caters vegan.

Tomhey, I'm not studying :cool: I live near Cardiff! I'm still in sixth form doing my a levels! :confused:

What are you studying?

thanx for the info...I'll have to check out Cafe naz!
:daisy:

:banana:

dropscone
10-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Dropscone - Setting up a vegan restaurant/cafe in Cardiff sounds good. I'm a quick veg prep chef and an awesome kitchen porter with years of experience :cool: If you ever need a hand, give me a shout!...

Tom

Are you serious? This is definitely something I want to do, though probably not for a year, give or take a couple of months. I have no restaurant experience at all, apart from that I've eaten at them :) but I'm looking into doing a quick business course.

Excellent! I have another victim lined up...er I mean willing participant in the Great Welsh Veg-Eats-Place Plan
:thumbsup:

TomJ
10-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Jagged-little-pill - What's your name? I'm studying at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama doing Music (Clarinet, Saxophone), which is good, but I'm in my final year, so quite daunting. I'm going to check out Cafe Europa soon - as soon as I sort out my money.

Dropscone - I can't offer any full time commitment, but would be very interested to know of plans and any kitchen porter vacancies to support my studies. Best of luck to you!

jagged-little-pill
10-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Jagged-little-pill - What's your name? I'm studying at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama doing Music (Clarinet, Saxophone), which is good, but I'm in my final year, so quite daunting. I'm going to check out Cafe Europa soon - as soon as I sort out my money.

hey...:D ~My name's Rhian...sorry I haven't replied in ages...I had to go live in a hotel for a week and had no access to a computer! :confused:

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo....saxophone...I used to play that for a couple of months when I was younger! I hate the final year of any kind of exam course they're always the scariest! :D Some of my friends want to go to the welsh college of music and drama, they all say how difficult it is going to be for them to get in so you must be MAJORLY tallented!

I still haven't eaten in the cafe yet tho...hopefully I'll check it out this week and tell you what it's like! :laugh:

TomJ
10-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Just read this on a website:

Anonymous writes " I have recently descoverd a new fully vegetarian Indian Restaurant based in Grangetown, Cardiff, S.Wales.
Considering Cardiff is the growing modern City that it is, there is a distinct lack of fully vegetarian restaurants. So being the strict vegan that I'am is often a difficult task, as I will not consume food at an establishment which prepares meat in the same kitchen.
So when I stumbled across this Indian Restaurant it was a godsend! Its called Jikoni, and its based at 175-177 Claire Rd, Grangetown, Cardiff. There is no meat in the building (which is always priceless) thay do however use dairy products (but not eggs) but the very freindly staff are more than willing to help out with vegan options. The price is amazing aswell, four of us ate for under 25 pounds, and we filled the table with food! Jikoni is a blessing to cardiff! Cheak it out, you wont be disapointed!"

Good news for Cardiffians. I was also going to rave about Vegan Pizza Express Day (1st November 2004), but it's been cancelled everywhere apart from Reading. :( :mad:

dropscone
10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
We're still having a party in Leicester, it's just not going to be at Pizza Express any more - Mirch Masala on Market Street seen more than happy to have us celebrate World Vegan Day there on 1st November. They will be doing cheezely-topped pizzas, plus a whole host of other stuff - it seems they're going to be happy to prepare anything on their menu that normally has cheese with Cheezely instead, turning an already very good vegan choice into a bewilderingly (in a good way) large range.

So, any Leicester vegans (or people nearby) do give me a shout if you want to come - try and let me know before Saturday so I can give the restaurant some idea of numbers.

Cheers :)

grog
11-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Happy Guy Fawkes Night!

Or was that last night for y'all?

dropscone
11-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Thank you! It is tonight :)

I'm working from 10pm, so I expect we'll get a lot of calls complaining about fireworks :umm: but at least I'll get to see a few in the distance before I have to head out.

Bluejade
11-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Happy Guy Fawkes Night!

Or was that last night for y'all?
Thanks, if I close my eyes I could imagine it as gunfire.