PDA

View Full Version : Why Veganism Why!!!

Greenteeth
04-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Why do I choose to eat a vegan diet? I've been eating mostly vegetarian food since 1991. At that time I realised how much land was used to produce meat and that out of that kind of agriculture enormous deserts were created. Also it was obvious to me that tons and tons of food were being produced to feed one cow or pig and just a few kilograms of meat would be the end result. Now the question I asked myself was this: If I were to use the same fields used to produce the tons of cattle feed to grow human food instead, how many people would I be able to feed compared to the meat produced for the same space. The difference is enormous and we would wipe out famines if we were all to switch to a plant based diet. And we wouldn't use nearly as much space to do so, thus saving the rain forest in South America. So producing meat is a very inneficient way of feeding the human population causing great stress on the environment.

I'm not done yet. Two years ago I had a very big leap in consciousness after having read Nonviolent Communication (NVC): a language of compassion by Marshall B. Rosenberg. To this day this is the book that made the greatest impact on my life. The author mentions that behind every action or spoken words there is a beautiful need being met (or not), no matter how much one might hate or love the words or actions. Being aware of those needs allows us to connect to the life within someone thus diffusing violence and leading to more peaceful interactions amoung people. One need for me that is becoming more and more important is contributing to the well-being of others. Just imagining the pain of animals living in horrible conditions or even the torture they must endure before the slaughtering fills me with sorrow and hopelessness. My contribution to their well-being is the action of only eating plant food. Now until resently I still ate fish but these creatures have the same feelings and most needs I have and I would like the same compassion for them as for myself. Can you imagine a race of aliens coming to Earth only to use humans as a source of food.:alien: ? Yuk! How would we feel?

So in summary, I choose to eat plant food because I would like to protect animals from the enormous suffering. I want to also protect the earh from the devastation of meat production hence desertification, thus leaving some resources for our children. Finally, I long for everybody on this planet to have something to eat, everyday and I dought this will happen if some of us keep eating meat at the present rate.

Blessings to all that is.
Greenteeth

penfold
04-22-2003, 05:15 AM
that non-violent communication sounds like a wonderful thing :)

glad you've joined us!!!!!

:sunny:

Spaceman
04-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Great vegan story!

Welcome.

ajveg
04-22-2003, 07:53 AM
welcome, get posting this is a great site and everyone helps every one if you read some of the forums you'll find everyone is opinionated on this board so have your say (ignore spellings i am bad at them):p :p :embarr:

Vegit-8
04-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Welcome Greenteeth.
I am so glad you posted your story. I must read that book.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Greenteeth
04-23-2003, 12:15 AM
:D Thank you for the appreciation and welcoming words.

Greenteeth

Husky Corn Star
04-23-2003, 12:53 AM
Welcome Greenteeth :D

Did I mention that I am an alien/human hybrid :alien: ... but something went wrong wiff my genetic makeup/DNA and I'm on a mission to eat all plant life that is edible that comes across my path ;)

Greenteeth
04-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi Star,

Since you're a hybrid, I will only feed you with the GMO plant life. That should keep your DNA from degenarating furthermore. Want some fish genes with your tomato genes? I insist:D

Greenteeth

Husky Corn Star
04-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Greenteeth
Want some fish genes with your tomato genes?

I'll pass thanks, but I do need to splice myself into some new denim genes ;)

madpogue
04-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
I'll pass thanks, but I do need to splice myself into some new denim genes ;) Would those be designer genes?

Halfelf
04-24-2003, 12:41 AM
:sick

You guys are awful.

:D

Welcome, Greenteeth!!

Husky Corn Star
04-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by madpogue
Would those be designer genes?

A Gentlemen would never admit to that :D

As I'm not a Gentlemen ;) , they just very well could be madpogue, but I can tell you they don't have a leather patch on the back :D

Husky Corn Star
04-24-2003, 03:02 AM
... and, ummmmm, I think my designer genes are broke, 'cause there is a crack at the back :o

madpogue
04-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
... and, ummmmm, I think my designer genes are broke, 'cause there is a crack at the back :o Yeah, well, husky corn will do that...

Dandelion
04-24-2003, 12:23 PM
you guys are KILLING me!:laugh:

oh hey Greenteeth, welcome!
That book does sound interesting *adds to wishlist*.

Veganism came to me because i saw the hypocricy of believing in peace and filling my body with violence. Now i realize there are more levels to that than i originally thought! The learning never stops and that's why we're here!
YAY!

Husky Corn Star
04-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by madpogue
Yeah, well, husky corn will do that...

Well, apparently it's more noticable when I bend over ... and I'm not even a builder :umm:

Greenteeth
04-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi Dandelion ("Lion's tooth" in French"),

I can see you value integrity (walking the talk for peace and compassion). I love your walking (veganism) as well as your warm welcome. Hey do you eat dandelion in salads? It's super high in nutrients like carotenoids, much more than garden veggies. Super healing plant for the kidneys and liver which we treat with weedkiller. How sad!

You said: "Now i realize there are more levels to that than i originally thought"

If you read the NVC book, I trust you'll come to realize that violence is a part of our judgmental language but that behind any moralistic judgments of others (as being good or bad, wrong or right) there's a beautiful need that connects us all since we have the same needs. So someone who has mastered NVC (or affectionately called "Giraffe language") can stay connected with another even through the worst case of insults and blaming. She simply keeps the light of her awareness on his emotions and needs (which live in the heart) without taking responsibility for them, instead of the blaming (which lives in the head). It's compassion in action. Calmness, warmth and connection usually follows such an exchange and problems usually solve themselves.

I dearly hope you read it and seek to attend one of Marshall's presentation.

Warmly,
Greenteeth