PDA

View Full Version : Help! ideas for vegan woodglue!

eemal
07-06-2006, 06:40 PM
i know this sounds strange, but anyone do woodwork & know of a vegan woodglue?
my hubby informed me that he has been using elmer's woodglue on our canvas frames-- & came to me yesterday & asked me "am i wrong, or is this stupid glue made out of horse?" he was teary-eyed at his newfound revelation... i wasn't sure so told him i'd come on here & ask.

i thought he just drilled/pegged, i didn't know he was using any adhesive... i've only been in the workshop once, believe it or not, because i'm inside doing all the finance/advertising/calls/emails, etc.

anyone know which adhesives are vegan? lemme tell him help's on the way & to dry his eyes!

gur
07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
seems this question has been asked before, but no one knows?

http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=3659&highlight=elmers+glue

i've seen this stuff in my local hardware store: http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/weldbond-vegan-all-purpose-glue.htm

seems elmer's is vegan: http://www.google.ca/search?q=vegan+glue+elmer's&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

eta: :laugh: that link won't work because of the colon and 'o' side by side making an emoticon. i don't know how to fix that, but if you type into google "vegan glue elmer's" you'll get a whole bunch of websites/forums talking about elmer's glue being vegan. :)

hazelfaern
07-07-2006, 01:45 AM
From the Elmer's Glue website (http://www.elmers.com/faq/index.asp):

Do you use animals when making glue?
No, Elmer's does not use animals or animal parts to make glue. Our products are made from synthetic materials and are not derived from processing horses, cows or any other animals.

It might be a wise idea to e-mail the company and ask if they do animal testing, but in the meantime, the product itself is vegan :)

eemal
07-07-2006, 05:16 AM
well, that's good to know- i will email re: animal testing.

thanks, yall-- i've been really busy & didn't have time to search-- i just got up, i've got a bit of time now...

thanks yall!

Prophet
07-07-2006, 05:49 AM
If you could, could you inform us whether they do support animal testing :), it would make my life easier if you're going to email them anyway.

eemal
07-07-2006, 05:59 AM
no worries-- i just hope they tell me the truth...
does the peta site have some type of list/database re: who supports testing?
i look for that, too...

eemal
07-07-2006, 06:32 AM
well, i emailed them. i'll let yall know what they say.

hazelfaern
07-07-2006, 07:04 AM
no worries-- i just hope they tell me the truth...
does the peta site have some type of list/database re: who supports testing?
i look for that, too...

That's a really good question, e. I know PETA used to have a running list of both companies who test and companies who don't test but I can't seem to find it on their site.

I found a site here (http://www.geari.org/animal-testing-information.html) that has PDF files that look identical to PETA's same TEST and DO NOT TEST files -- but you'll notice the companies that are listed are heavily weighted towards health and beauty and pharaceutical corporations. Coca-Cola is not listed, even though they do conduct some animal testing and Welch's, Ocean Spray and Tahitian Noni were never listed, even though they previously conducted animal testing on their products. Just something to keep in mind.

Searching for Elmer's parent company on their site, I did find this interesting trivia nugget:

Where did Elmer's name come from?

Elsie the Cow became Borden's very popular "Spokescow" in the late 1930's. She was a big hit at the 1939 New York World's Fair, and soon afterwards the character of Elmer the Bull was created as Elsie's husband. In the late 1940's, Borden's new Chemical Division asked to use Elsie for its new white glue product.

The thought of Elsie representing a non-food product didn't seem appropriate, so as a compromise, Elmer was loaned to Chemical as their very own "spokesbull".

To this day, Elmer the Bull still represents the most recognized adhesive company.

Appearantly, Elmer's was originally owned by Borden and then bought out by Hunt Corporation (http://www.business.com/directory/retail_and_consumer_services/office_supplies/hunt_corporation/profile/) (at what date, I don't know)

eemal
07-07-2006, 07:17 AM
yeah, i noticed that history (btw, thanks for calling me "e" LOL)
i also looked at "how the glue is made" and the chemicals are derived from petroleum...hmmm....

BTW, i didn't know that Tahitian Noni tested on animals!!!??!!?? do they still???? geesh.

what would testing juices on animals accomplish? i mean, what would they be testing for?

Prophet
07-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I emailed one company to find out if they had any animal ingredients in their product, and they wouldn't tell me! They said something like, we cannot disclose to you our ingredients, but be assured there are no ingredients that will cause allergies or something like that...... I wasn't so happy :(.

what would testing juices on animals accomplish? i mean, what would they be testing for?

I know Welch's juice company clogged the animal's arteries quite extensively, then injected their juice into the animals to see if it would help. Then "disposed" of the animals after experimentation. And that's how they can make claims to their juice being healthy. That is if you didn't already know about this.

hazelfaern
07-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Appearantly, for exactly the reasons Prophet listed -- to see what health claims they could make and how extensively they could make them. I know Welch's has listed health claims on their labels for years. I had no idea, either, until just recently, that they were basing those health claims on animal studies rather than human-based case studies.

PETA has listed Welch's grape juice, Tahitian Noni, Ocean Spray and Pom Wonderful as fruit juice companies that have voluntarily ceased their animal testing (the full story is here (http://www.caringconsumer.com/products_oceanspray.asp))

What I take from this is that whenever a company uses unusual ingredients like aspertame, for instance, or makes health claims, or produces a product which is not intended for direct consumption, and they do not explicitly state on their packaging that they refrain from animal testing, that there's a chance that they use animal experimentation and it's wise to ask questions.

Prophet
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Evil Juice Companies. Thanks hazelfaern for explaining that in more detail. :) I suck at explaing things :umm:

anita riot
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
being a huge crafter and vegan freak ive researched this a lot
one defenite vegan glue ive found is called WELDBOND---i got it at a true value next to my old job in the gold coast--chicago
i bet home depot has it but it is completly vegan
ive used it for heavy duty projects like glass magnents and it works great
here is the address (sorry i dont know how to do the link thing)
www.weldbond.com

Emiloid
07-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Awsome! :thumbsup:

Emiloid
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
My vegan friend uses Gorilla Glue (http://www.gorillaglue.com/) and likes it a lot, but I wasn't 100% sure it was vegan. I just emailed the company to check and they responded really quickly with the following letter:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Tape are all man made items. No animals or animal parts are used in making or testing our products.

Regards,
Mary-Ellen

Our local hardware store carries it, and I bet larger companies do as well.

bluedawg
07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
"am i wrong, or is this stupid glue made out of horse?" he was teary-eyed at his newfound revelation... :heart: poor kitten. i'm glad we have some crafty glue afficionados around here to help!

eemal
07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
thanks, yall, for all the info... *sorry about the "yall"-- i speak with even more of a drawl than i type LOL*

hubby manages an art supply store that carries weldbond & gorilla glue both. he was saying he wanted to start using weldbond if elmers tested on animals, i have not yet rec'd back an email yet from elmers re: animal testing.

and MAN, what's up with those juice companies? how horrible they'd do that just to fabricate a health claim? geesh.

this morning when i was researching for adhesives/animal testing, i came across an article (didn't save it though, but remember one paraphrased quote/idea that made me cringe)-- there was an article about a hospital/research lab and the guy writing the article was bent out of shape about "those animal rights freaks" making a big deal about their testing labs...
he said something to the tune of "they don't realise that products or medicines will not be approved by the FDA or USDA unless it's been tested on animals"

i couldn't help but think, what a crock! how annoying! and that was in a major university publication. ugh.

eemal
07-08-2006, 12:39 AM
anyone know anything about "lock-tite" adhesive? hubby just said he wanted to give it a try... i'll google it later...

grog
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
nails work pretty good.

eemal
07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
nails work pretty good.

LOL...

nails work for some things, but not what he's doing. he has to glue & tack or glue & drill/peg to ensure no warping. (canvas frames)
we've found that (this explained to me lol) just tacking or nailing/screwing etc will still allow the wood to warp & disjoint around the hardware...

thanks for the insight, tho!

eemal
07-11-2006, 12:07 AM
OK- got an email back from ELMER'S:

Dear Eemal,

Thank you for contacting us.

Elmer's does not use animals in any of it's products nor do they test any products on animals. I hope you find this information helpful and look forward to serving you as a satisfied customer in the future.

Sincerely,

Brian Rumschlag
Consumer Response Analyst

YAY!

bird
07-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Whoa! That's totally awesome news, considering how prevalent their products are! Good to know we won't have to look hard for vegan glue. :happy:

eemal
07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
yep! very VERY happy news!

yay!!!

Emiloid
07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
It's nice that so many glues happen to be vegan.

hazelfaern
07-11-2006, 03:25 PM
It's nice that so many glues happen to be vegan.

Now, if someone could just convince one or two of them to put a vegan logo on their packaging...

stegan
07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Now, if someone could just convince one or two of them to put a vegan logo on their packaging...
I would bet a company like Gorilla Glue, which appears to be an independent company, would go for it if enough people suggested it. Anyone? (http://www.gorillaglue.com/contact.php) :D

eta: one wonders who would certify such a thing, though.

Emiloid
07-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I would bet a company like Gorilla Glue, which appears to be an independent company, would go for it if enough people suggested it. Anyone? (http://www.gorillaglue.com/contact.php) :D

I'll do it! I'll email them back thanking them for their quick response and mention the vegan thang as well.

Emiloid
07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I did it!

Hi Mary-Ellen,

Thank you for such a quick response! I was researching your glue on behalf of a vegan group. Another member mentioned how nice it would be for companies like yours to include a statement on the label certifying the product is vegan... or at least that it is made without animal products and without animal testing. Maybe Gorilla Glue already has such a statement on the label? If so, thanks! If not, I hope you'll consider adding one. I'm sure you'll find it appeals not only to vegans, but also to other consumers who want to avoid supporting animal testing. As you may know, the market for cruelty-free products is consistently growing.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response. My vegan pals and I truly appreciate the information.

Sincerely,

OK, maybe it could have been more eloquent. But it's done! :p

bluedawg
07-11-2006, 06:46 PM
i think it sounds perfect, Em! :)

hazelfaern
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM

Why, Vegan Action (http://veganaction.org/), of course! They do quite a bit of certification, already, and their "v" for vegan logo is really quite handy :)

Em, I thought about writing a response but had absolutely no idea what to say. Your comment looks like exactly what I wanted to write!

stegan
07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Why, Vegan Action (http://veganaction.org/), of course! They do quite a bit of certification, already, and their "v" for vegan logo is really quite handy :)
But of course! Good point. :)