PDA

View Full Version : A question about Norway

Rawj
06-14-2006, 04:30 PM
I know a person in norway who just went vegan. He basically just eats potatoes.I showed him the list of peta things that are accidently vegan and he said most of those are American brands. He also said vegan food can be very expensive there. Does anyone have a list of products that are vegan in norway?

grog
06-14-2006, 04:34 PM
snow (white, not yellow)

hazelfaern
06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
snow (white, not yellow)

Oh, grog..... :rolleyes:

Rawj, are basic fruits and veggies that expensive in Norway? How 'bout tofu? Rice and beans? Grains and legumes?

Rawj
06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
he doesnt really eat a lot of fruits or veggies. he went vegan becuase of how they are treated not becuase of health reasons. so i think he is referring to products that are made especially for vegans or are natrual/health food. examples being liek soy yogurt and tofurky.

hazelfaern
06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
he doesnt really eat a lot of fruits or veggies. he went vegan becuase of how they are treated not becuase of health reasons. so i think he is referring to products that are made especially for vegans or are natrual/health food. examples being liek soy yogurt and tofurky.

That makes sense. I was just saying... fruits, veggies, beans, rice, etc, should all be fairly reasonable in cost and would make for a well-balanced vegan diet. He's not so anti-veggies he'd rather starve, right?

Has he checked out the post punk kitchen online? That'd be a great resource for someone who wants a well-rounded diet but can't get their hands on packaged fauxny foods.

Emiloid
06-15-2006, 09:06 AM
I went to Norway before I was veg, and it seems like all they eat there (and in Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, and bunch of other northern places) is meat, cheese, sour cream, bread, cucumbers, and tomatoes. :rolleyes: (They grow the cucumbers and tomatoes in hothouses/greenhouses there.)

So your friend could try eating cucumbers and tomatoes on bread. :blank: Also, I bet he could find dried beans, lentils, split peas, and rice somewhere. Canned veggies, fruits, and beans are definitely available. And there's always pasta. There are other seasonal veggies aside from cucumbers and tomatoes, but I don't remember what kinds. Sorry, but I don't know how the prices compare to non-veg foods. Fresh veggies would probably be more expensive, but I doubt that canned or dried foods would be. They'd probably cost less.

I assume vegan specialty foods would be expeinsive and/or hard to find. However, no one needs fake meats and yogurt. He could make his own yogurt or kefir if he can find soymilk. I don't know how to do it, but the directions are easy enough to find online.

Emiloid
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey, quagga just posted some instructions and a link about making your own yogurt here (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=132463&postcount=33).

Yes. I used to do it quite a lot. I would scald a container of a soymilk (not lowfat), then mix in a container of live culture soy yogurt (usually a mild flavor or plain), then pour that mixture into a sterilized thermos for 8 to 12 hours.

It does not set up hard, but turns out more like kefir. If you look at commercial yogurts (even soy), you'll notice that they have a lot of starches and stabilizers added to them to firm them up.

You can use your homemade yogurt as your starter for the next batch, but I found that the flavor degraded after a while. I think the bacteria populations shifted so that some not-harmful, but not-good-tasting bacteria won out.

The whole technique is somewhere on the web, of course. I'll try and find a link.

Also, I noticed that the most-excellent Bryanna Clark Grogan has a page devoted to yogurt making. Since she is very meticulous, this is probably a good place to start.

Prophet
06-26-2006, 02:17 AM
A man in Russia died at an early age recently, who only ate potatoes. He was found pale and very malnourished. I'll try to find the link.

Dandelion
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
A man in Russia died at an early age recently, who only ate potatoes. He was found pale and very malnourished. I'll try to find the link.
i hope Herbi reads this. ;)