PDA

View Full Version : cruel pop-up ads

theveganmary
05-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Have you seen this one? "Hold down and click to burn ants; Fry three ants and get a free iPod"

And theres' one where you have to hit a monkey to win some crap or another.

I know I've seen more, but I just get disgusted and ignore them. :mad:

hazelfaern
05-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Bleck. I know, right?

Tracy G
05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
That's awful. I've seen very few pop-up ads of any kind, however, since I always use my browser's pop-up blocker.

Vegtink
05-25-2006, 08:01 AM
They are always on Myspace. Everytime I go on my page I have one of those ads to hit or kill some type defensless creature. We should all start complaining to the companies of the products they are promoting.

hazelfaern
05-25-2006, 08:06 AM
They are always on Myspace. Everytime I go on my page I have one of those ads to hit or kill some type defensless creature. We should all start complaining to the companies of the products they are promoting.

Or complain to Apple that the ads are killing your desire to own or use an iPod or related technology....

Vegtink
05-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Or complain to Apple that the ads are killing your desire to own or use an iPod or related technology....
Yeah we need to get to the companies of the products that you could win if you squash the fly or what not. Then they can put the pressure on the people creating the ads.

Emiloid
05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I hate those things, cruel or not. They're so obnoxious that if they're trying to get you to do something cruel, it's only a smidgeon worse than normal. I also have a popup blocker, but I should really block javascript or something, so they don't even come up on the page.

theveganmary
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM

Yeah, that's where I always get them: MySpace. My pop-up blocker won'y block those for some reason.

I recently sent emails of complaint to a couple of the companies, but have gotten no response.:umm:

grog
05-25-2006, 10:50 AM
myspace adds are usually flash, so you have to get something tat blocks flash.

there was one on there like "out milkk this guy and win something" with a picture of a cow and giant udders :sick:

but essentially, myspace advertising (and often in general) appeals to the lowest common denominator and the basest instincts, since its targeted at the masses and the young.

Sunnysublime
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
has anyone seen the new Subway commercial? Its not exactly a pop up, but it is horrible... It starts out with a guy walking between two neon sighns, one that says 'STEAK' (or somthing to that effect), then another one lights up with some other type of meat..and the guy keeps walking untill a sighn lights up as "TOFU" and he kooks out and looks disgusted...then they cut to some gross meat and cheese filled sub. Its pathetic.:mad:

grog
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
The new PSP (play station portable) commercials seem particulalry sexist. They have these little cartoon characters saying some stuff, but if you really listen, its pretty horrible. I'm actually surprised they are on the air.

hazelfaern
05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
The new PSP (play station portable) commercials seem particulalry sexist. They have these little cartoon characters saying some stuff, but if you really listen, its pretty horrible. I'm actually surprised they are on the air.

The one with that character that plans on marrying all the women in the world right up until he realizes that would also include all the ugly ones and then makes noises imitating the ugly women pleading for him to take them back? I don't remember if that was PSP (it was gaming focused) but, yeeeeah, that was really, really questionable. :confused:

grog
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
yeah, that one. they have other versions, they actually said something like "i'd tap that" in one of them.

lolamako
05-25-2006, 01:52 PM
I find the talking hairballs/dust bunnies to be the cutest ever!

He says that he marries all the women in the world, but also all the ugly ones, and that theyll be chasing him saying " Ayyy But I have a great personality!!"

And yes its for playstation something or other.

Vegtink
05-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh goodness, I was just on myspace and the computer kept making this mechanical meowing noise. It scared the hell out of me and I could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. It was one of those ads where I had to catch the cat to win something or other. Not really cruel but it reminded me of this thread.

vegbrain
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Sounds to me like someone needs to try Zone Alarm Security Suite. I promise, you won't be disappointed. Everything, I mean everything is blocked. When I am on any page, where the ads would be is just blank white.

Sunnysublime
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
ugh, I hate the BEEF adds...like this one:
We like vegetarians
more beef for us :rolleyes: they give vegans no credit

or this: ' There's no such thing as a chicken knife '

does it seem like these commercials are created for extremely simple-minded people? I mean, they're kept under 10 words, and are posted above a big, juicy steak.....still "there's no such thing as a chicken knife" doesn't seem like a good slogan at all --- wow, you need a special tool to cut your extremely unhealthy gross flesh. great. good for you.