PDA

View Full Version : Slow cookers

JasperKat
05-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Who has one? What do you use it for? When I was omni, I used to make stews and such in the crock pot, but it seems that I don't have much use for one as a vegan. Most vegetables don't seem like they would hold up to several hours of cooking, root veggies aside.

I do make applesauce in the fall, but all of the other crock pot recipes that I have are meant to cook a big hunk of meat. Can I cook dried beans in there? Rice? I like the idea of dinner cooking while I'm at work (it appeals to my laziness :p ), but what should I make?

-JK

grog
05-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Is this the same thing as a pressure cooker (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=5581)?

JasperKat
05-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Is this the same thing as a pressure cooker (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=5581)?

Nope. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=slow%20cooker)

http://michaelgraves.com/product/slow-cooker273.jpg

-JK

grog
05-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Good thing I never bought a crockpot, I would have been sorely disappointed.

gladcow
05-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I have a slow cooker/crockpot! Beans and dried legumes do great in it. Rice does better for a shorter time (than all day). I've heard of people doing homemade seitan in it, but I'm afraid. There will be some crock pot recipes in my next book. :D

LazyGirl
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I :heart: my crock pots. I have two, one 4-quart and one 1-quart, and I am considering the purchase of a 6-quart. They are great for so many things: all kinds of beans, chili, stew, soup, chocolate fondue, large batches of brown rice (for use throughout the week), baked potatoes, baked stuffed peppers, vegan sloppy joe filling, spaghetti, large batches of cabbage or greens, etc. I haven't tried too many desserts, although you can make those, too - even cake! I highly recommend the book Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson if you are new to slow cookers and don't know where to start. A crock pot is a great investment for saving time and money.

MissLovely
05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I've made bread pudding, chili, soups, legumes. I made a seitan roast.

JasperKat
05-07-2006, 04:07 PM
If anyone wants to share recipes, my printer is warming up :D

Gladcow, I saw the bean dish that someone made from your recipe in the gallery. Yum!

-JK

mamaquilla
05-07-2006, 11:31 PM
The recipe I made with Gladcow's recipe was the first time I had used my crockpot in years. It was really fun and easy and made me wanna go out and buy the veggie cookbook all about using ones slowcooker. I have made stew in the past and thats about it. My mother uses her's all the time and did when I was little too. :happy:

tipsyvegan
05-08-2006, 12:24 AM
i use my friends crockpot to make chili....(MMMM)

bbq sietan, bean & lentil dishes, and whenever i go to a veganpotluck. theyre nice for keeping things warm such as soup or a sauce.

one thanksgiving while camping i cooked a tofurkey in a crockpot :D

MissLovely
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I made rice pudding today. Yum!

mamaquilla
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
recipe pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee misslovely????????????? :)

MissLovely
05-08-2006, 08:14 PM
2 cups soy milk
2 cups leftover rice
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup sugar
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon
tsp vanilla
EnerG egg replacer (equal to 2 eggs)

Place all in slow cooker, set it and forget it. (I had mine on high for a few hours)

mamaquilla
05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
thank you ! :daisy:

mishka
05-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I use my crockpot for beans all the time. Before I go to bed, I'll throw in a bunch of dried beans, unsoaked, and cook them on high all night. By the morning, we have cooked beans! And the apartment smells all beany. In that good way.

JasperKat
05-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I use my crockpot for beans all the time. Before I go to bed, I'll throw in a bunch of dried beans, unsoaked, and cook them on high all night. By the morning, we have cooked beans! And the apartment smells all beany. In that good way.

It's really that easy? I want to start buying dried beans, because they are so much cheaper than canned, but I don't want to spend time soaking then cooking them for hours. How much water vs beans?

-JK

mishka
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
It's really that easy? I want to start buying dried beans, because they are so much cheaper than canned, but I don't want to spend time soaking then cooking them for hours. How much water vs beans?

-JK
hmm. I think I usually do half a bag (about 250 mg?) to a full pot of water (I have a 4 quart pot I think). I rinse the beans, put them in the pot, fill with water, put on high, go to sleep, wake up and test beans :silly:

This works best with bigger beans like kidney beans and chick peas. I've done black beans, but they ended up a wee bit mushy. They'd be better cooked on high for an hour or so, then turned down to low overnight methinks.

theveganmary
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I used to have one, but it died. I always made awesome potato chowder in it. I would chop enough carrots and potatoes to fill the cooker about two thirds full, and cover them with water. I'd let that cook for hours, then I'd add tons of nutritional yeast and garlic powder, and a little salt. I'd mash some of the chopped, cooked potatoes when they were soft enough, and then stir everything up. Last, I'd put some chopped kale in, enough to fill the cooker all the way up. Another half hour or so for that to steam, and oh, so good! ;)

hazelfaern
05-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I used to have one, but it died. I always made awesome potato chowder in it. I would chop enough carrots and potatoes to fill the cooker about two thirds full, and cover them with water. I'd let that cook for hours, then I'd add tons of nutritional yeast and garlic powder, and a little salt. I'd mash some of the chopped, cooked potatoes when they were soft enough, and then stir everything up. Last, I'd put some chopped kale in, enough to fill the cooker all the way up. Another half hour or so for that to steam, and oh, so good! ;)

Wow! And now I want a crockpot! (words I never thought I'd say)

mishka
11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
*bumpity bump*

Now that the weather is cooling off, I'd like to start making more crockpotty things. Anyone have stew, soup or curry ideas? Something that can cook on low for 10 hours while I'm at work?

mishka
11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Just found this recipe online:

Layered Dinner
Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

6 potatoes -- sliced
1 large onion -- sliced
2 carrots -- sliced
1 green pepper -- sliced
1 zucchini -- sliced
1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
1 cup peas, frozen or fresh

Optional Vegetables

mushrooms
broccoli
green beans

Sauce

2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup tamari, low-sodium
1 tsp thyme -- ground
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp basil
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp sage
2 Tbsp parsley flakes

Directions

Layer vegetables in large casserole in order given.
Mix together ingredients for sauce and pour over vegetables.
Cook six hours at high or 12 at low.

Source: McDougall Plan

stegan
11-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Mmm, yum! A little birdie told me that we might be getting a slow cooker for the holidays. I can't wait :)

mishka
11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Yay you!

Though Zoidberg looks a bit concerned.

stegan
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Though Zoidberg looks a bit concerned.
He's quite impatient. Not big on waiting for food. ;)

MissLovely
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I did my candied yams in my slow cooker, for T-giving. It totally infused them with candification. I turned it on at bedtime. One less thing to worry about. :)

Flower
11-29-2006, 06:21 PM
I've had a slow cooker for almost a year now and have yet to use it. :umm:

mishka- thanks for posting that recipe. I may just have to use it to break my slow cooker in!

Miso Vegan
11-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I was going to register for a slow cooker, and a food processor. Wait - actually, I think I did register for those, but maybe I should ask for them for Xmas. Why wait anoth 7+ months? Especially if this is the season for slow cookers....

LazyGirl
12-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Garbanzos and Couscous

1 small onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes (in a pinch, I have used dried sundried tomatoes and added extra water)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained (I buy dried garbanzos, cook them in the crockpot, then freeze them in 1-1/2 - 2-cup portions)
1 cup vegetable broth (or one veggie boullion + 1 cup water)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dump everything in crock pot; cook all day; mix in 1-1/2 cups cooked couscous 15 minutes before serving. Consume like a crazy person.

JasperKat
12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
*Yoink!* Saving recipe for dinner this week. I already have all this stuff!

-JK

Flower
12-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks, lazygirl! That looks really yum!!

mamaquilla
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Miso Vegan was kind enough to buy me The Simple Little Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook at Vegfest. I just made the Irish Porriage last night for this moring, came out YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!
Next will be All-in-One Lasagna and Not Chicken Soup over the next few days :D

Miso Vegan
05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Lest anyone think it was because I'm so "kind," I only did it so she could test the recipes before I got a slow cooker.

:p

Flower
05-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Miso Vegan was kind enough to buy me The Simple Little Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook at Vegfest. I just made the Irish Porriage last night for this moring, came out YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!
Next will be All-in-One Lasagna and Not Chicken Soup over the next few days :D

I've only made the Shepards Pie Casserole from this book so far, but it came our really, really good-

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/428679733_97887beb9e.jpg

Oh, and Miso, how nice! :silly: :p

michiganveganchick
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Flower, that looks awesome right now. I'm starving and don't feel like cooking. Hmph.

quagga
05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Flower, is that a happy-face plate?
Anyway, that looks good!

Flower
05-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, that is a happy face plate! :)

mamaquilla
05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
hmhmhmh, that looks nummy Flower!

LesMiserablesLove
05-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Mm. The shepard's pie looks delicious! The picture looks like it could have been from a cookbook.

veganella
05-25-2007, 06:37 AM
It looks totally delish. No wonder the plate is so smiley :)

LuC
05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I has to gets me a slow cooker.

:drool:

mamaquilla
05-26-2007, 05:44 PM
So this morning I began prepairing to make the Not Chicken Soup from The Simple Little Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook. I THOUGHT all the ingredients were in my kitchen but alas was wrong. Hopefully this dish will come out ok, cuz I ended up totally having to improvise herbs and salted when perhaps should not have and and and, very silly, hope its still good when all is slow cooked and tasted :rolleyes: :)

Jessica
05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Let us know how it is. I'd love an easy (if it's easy?) chicken-type noodle soup. I go through a bit of Amy's no-chicken noodle. It's not that great, but it suffices. I'd love to find something better.

mamaquilla
05-26-2007, 11:38 PM
The man keeps sayiny "wow, its really just like chicken soup, you sure you didnt slip chickin in this ;) :silly: :laugh: "

It turned out good regardless of my man handling it :D

kimberkenobi
05-27-2007, 12:28 AM
I :heart: my crock pots. I have two, one 4-quart and one 1-quart, and I am considering the purchase of a 6-quart. They are great for so many things: all kinds of beans, chili, stew, soup, chocolate fondue, large batches of brown rice (for use throughout the week), baked potatoes, baked stuffed peppers, vegan sloppy joe filling, spaghetti, large batches of cabbage or greens, etc. I haven't tried too many desserts, although you can make those, too - even cake! I highly recommend the book Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson if you are new to slow cookers and don't know where to start. A crock pot is a great investment for saving time and money.

and I :smitten: this post!! Rock on!

mamaquilla
05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
The cookbook IS SO NOT GOOD. I have not yet made the recipe that Flower did, but these ones that I did, I dont think this woman actually COOKED them, the measurements, amounts, etc. are just off. I made the All in One Lasagna today and it was all over the place. I forgot to mention that about the Irish Porriage, she called for an obsene amount of cinnamon and I put it in and was like, good lord thats too much and dug out a bunch. IT has by far ben the best. The Not Chicken Soup was also odd in amounts called for and after eating some more of it that its also meh.

Anyhow, that is my review of The Simple Little Vegan Cookbook. :mad:

and the worst part, now im scared to try other recipes in here cuz of having to second guess what she calls for and will i just be wasting food ... grrrrrrrrrr

quagga
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Let us know how it is. I'd love an easy (if it's easy?) chicken-type noodle soup. I go through a bit of Amy's no-chicken noodle. It's not that great, but it suffices. I'd love to find something better.

Jessica - you may want to check out this thread:

Ch*kn Noodle Soup (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=7592)

Flower
05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
The cookbook IS SO NOT GOOD. I have not yet made the recipe that Flower did, but these ones that I did, I dont think this woman actually COOKED them, the measurements, amounts, etc. are just off. I made the All in One Lasagna today and it was all over the place. I forgot to mention that about the Irish Porriage, she called for an obsene amount of cinnamon and I put it in and was like, good lord thats too much and dug out a bunch. IT has by far ben the best. The Not Chicken Soup was also odd in amounts called for and after eating some more of it that its also meh.

Anyhow, that is my review of The Simple Little Vegan Cookbook. :mad:

and the worst part, now im scared to try other recipes in here cuz of having to second guess what she calls for and will i just be wasting food ... grrrrrrrrrr

Oh no! I guess I got lucky with the recipe I made. Now I'm scared to try anymore of them.....

mamaquilla
05-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I was gonna try the Shepards Pie next

What/Where did you find jars of vegan gravy??????????????

Now that Ive calmed down, maybe if going into using it...knowing one must motify...it wont be so bad ;]

Miso Vegan
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow, I'm glad someone more experienced than I is trying out the cookbook! There was plenty of cinnamon in that recipe (judging from the sample you gave me), so it's hard to believe she called for more than that! :o

Um, if you do try more recipes, make notes in the cookbook of anything you change. :)

mamaquilla
05-28-2007, 09:30 PM
yes mam :D

Flower
05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I was gonna try the Shepards Pie next

What/Where did you find jars of vegan gravy??????????????

Now that Ive calmed down, maybe if going into using it...knowing one must motify...it wont be so bad ;]

I looked all over & found some in the regular gravy section of the grocery store (I can't remember the brand, though). I compromised, unfortunately, because it had either hydrogenated oil or MSG in it, both of which I try to avoid like the plague. So, I won't be making the shepards pie again unless if I find a better jar of gravy.

mamaquilla
05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
:laugh: thanks for letting me know, cuz i was like, WHAT??? never seen, but hadnt really looked to be fair

kimberkenobi
05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, that is a happy face plate! :)

Not just any happy face plate... that looks like a fiestaware happy face plate... is it?

Flower
05-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Not just any happy face plate... that looks like a fiestaware happy face plate... is it?

Yes, it is! :D

Good eye!

LazyGirl
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
and I :smitten: this post!! Rock on!

Heh. It's been awhile since I posted here. I do, in fact, now also own a (purple) 6-quart slow cooker. For those keeping tally, that's three slow cookers for a single-person household.

I haven't christened the 6-quart yet; that thing is huge. I may get inspired to bust it out this weekend, though. I may even work up the courage to try making seitan in it.

mamaquilla: Thanks for the heads up about that cookbook. It sounds like the author one of those people who just wings it while cooking and probably estimated measurements for the book.

mamaquilla
05-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow, 6 quart, that is one serious slow cooker :laugh:

Yeah, I made the Irish Porriage again and it came out yummy, with a 1/3 the cinnamon called for :silly: and a some salt that it DID NOT call for :)

Miso Vegan
08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Mom sent me her never-used small crockpot. It's a cheap Hamilton Beach, and has "off-low-medium-hot" settings. The end.

Where do I start?

mishka
08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
cook dried beans!

beans + water + low heat + overnight = cheaper than canned

Miso Vegan
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
ok. But I has no dried beans. For that matter, no canned beans. (Bad vegan.)

And then what would I do with them?

quagga
08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Start with garbanzo beans -- then you can make your own hummus.

Miso Vegan
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
ah, now you're talking my skill level!

LazyGirl
08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
How small is small? Is it a 1-quart?

Miso Vegan
08-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Hmmm .... :goes to kitchen: No clue. :umm: Just from visual, I'd say it holds a gallon, but I'm gonna tool around the internet and see if I can find out.

eta: 3 qt (http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/cgi-bin/hb.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=20&prrfnbr=978&sesent=0,0&search_id=314711).

bumblebee
08-31-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't use my slow cooker often, but when I do use it, I get things going on the stove first. Otherwise, mine takes forever.

I often cook pinto beans in mine. For tacos. What else?! :silly:

gladcow
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm making seitan in my slow cooker right now. And I'm skeered, because I'm not following a slow cooker recipe. :uhoh:

I'll report back, of course.

mishka
10-17-2007, 05:09 PM
i look forwards to your report.

Miso Vegan
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I still have not used mine. I r intimidated. But I do now have some dried chickpeas....

mishka
10-17-2007, 09:10 PM
weh-hell... put 'em in the crock with some water and in the morning, you shall have cooked chickpeas!

Miso Vegan
10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
beans-to-water ratio? Does it matter? Should I just cover the beans?

Dugan
10-17-2007, 09:31 PM
The handy-dandy bean cooking guide in Laurel's Kitchen says 1 cup chickpeas to 4 cups water. I find that following the guide usually results in nicely cooked beans with very little left over water.

Shame on me - I've got a crockpot and rarely use it. Never once have I thought of cooking beans in it. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the seitan results. I have to learn to make it. I love it, but it's pretty expensive ($4/lb) around here.

mamaquilla
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
My Mom just gave me like thirty tons of pinto beans, think I should use my crockpot, thanks guys for bumping this! :)

LuC
10-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I am pretty new to the world or slow cookers but so far we have made a couple of pretty good soups and a number of stews. I did try to cook some lentils in there with pretty terrible results. :umm: I think I used one part water to one part lentil, which did not turn out well because when I came home from work that day they were all black and so was my slow cooker. I don't think I added enough water. :rolleyes: Thank goodness the crock pot cleaned up nicely. I've been scared to try again.

mishka
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
aw, poor LuC! :) If you're going to leave them all day, it would be better to cook a bean that is larger and takes longer to cook - like chickpeas, kidney beans, etc. Lentils can cook in 20 minutes on the stove, so slow cooking them all day would overcook them. I'm skeered to leave the crock pot on all day when I'm not home so I cook my beans overnight.

Dugan
10-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Lentils should be 1 cup lentils to 2 cup water. At a high simmer, they take about only 30 minutes on the stove. Red lentils take a little less and cook even faster.

gladcow
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
the seitan turned out good! I used the beef recipe from La Dolce Vegan, and doubled it. I turned it on low for most of the day (I checked in on it at 3 when I picked up the kids from school) and then up to high. After we got home at 6, I baked it per the optional instructions in the recipe. It was good. Next time, I will make a bigger batch (maybe tripled) and do it on high.

LuC
10-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the advice mishka and dugan. I usually don't buy dried lentils, chickpeas, or any bean but I really wanted to stop buying them from a can. I should have probably consulted someone or something before cooking them.

mmmm, that looks great gladcow!

Dugan
10-18-2007, 10:55 PM
If you can afford it, Laurel's Kitchen (though veggie and not vegan) is a great cookbook. I keep a bookmark at the page with the bean and grain cooking guide. It shows the bean or grain ratio to water, how long it takes to cook, and the cooked yield. Very handy. She also suggests insulating the crockpot by laying a folded towel atop the lid. I haven't tried that so I don't know if it'd shorten cooking time.

bluedawg
10-18-2007, 10:57 PM
i love that you just said "atop." :silly:

mishka
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
The thought of the smell of this cooking makes me think of autumn
and that might be the most awkward sentence I've ever written

from here (http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=14631)

Baked Beans a La Crockpot

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb dried beans (3 cups) (ie, pea, navy, or great northern)
1 med onion chopped
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 tbl dry mustard
2 tbl molasses
1 tbl salt
1 x inch fresh ginger root minced

Method:
Wash and sort beans. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes and remove from heat. Let soak 1 hour. Bring to a boil again and then simmer approx. 45 min or until cooked but not soft or mushy.

Drain beans. Put in the crockpot. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and stir into the beans.

Turn on low and cook 10 - 12 hours. This is great dish to prepare the night
before and then turn on the pot when you leave for work in the morning.

When
you come home at night dinner's ready and the house smells great!

LuC
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
thanks, dugan, i'll check out Laurel's Kitchen.

that looks great, mishka. i know what we are making tomorrow night.

gur
10-21-2007, 06:34 PM
oh man, baked beans. :drool:

i almost bought a slow cooker today - but i've never used/researched them. do you get what you pay for or are they pretty standard and basic?

mishka
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
My only demands when I bought mine were:

1. removable pot (my ex's slow cooker had a pot that couldn't be removed!)
2. low/high options for cooking
3. big enough to make lots of food - it's about 6 quarts I think. Or maybe 4.

That was it. I paid about $40 for a Proctor-Silex at WalMart.

gur
10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
hmmmm... the removable pot is a good idea - i never even thought of that. thanks!
:thinking:

LazyGirl
12-16-2007, 07:53 PM
I am experimenting with my 1-quart "Crock-ette" slow cooker and thought I'd document some of the recipes here in case anyone is interested. It is so difficult to find vegan recipes that only make one or two servings, let alone vegan recipes for the tiny slow cooker. Here's one that I made today:

Rapid Ratatouille (sans eggplant):

2 small zucchini, sliced
small onion, sliced
1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
2 teaspoons - 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste
2 cups fresh or canned diced tomatoes with juice

Dump everything in to the Crock-ette in the order presented here. By the time you get to the tomatoes, you may have run out of room. Pour in as much as you can and start cooking. The zucchini will cook down drastically, and you can add the rest about halfway through the cooking time. I let this cook for about 8 hours.

Here's another Crock-ette recipe for orange-glazed carrots:

6 carrots, sliced
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 tablespoon frozen orange juice conentrate OR 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice OR 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice + 1/4 tsp grated orange peel

Cook for about 4 to 6 hours, depending on how soft you want the carrots to be.

Miso Vegan
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
LazyGirl, thank you. Does your crockette have various temperature settings (Hi-Med-Lo, etc)? If so, on what temp did you cook these?

LazyGirl
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
No, mine is as basic as they come; you just plug the thing in - no temperature settings at all. Per the user manual, however, the temperature of the Crock-ette is equivalent to the "Low" setting on any other slow cooker, which makes sense. You can get the tiny ones now that have temp settings and a removable insert (mine doesn't have that, either). Mine is old; I got it way back in the day when I moved into my first apartment.

Have I mentioned lately how much I :heart: slow cookers? :) I'm already planning some fantastic holiday dinners for this weekend featuring slow cooked dishes and desserts.

JasperKat
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM

LG, would you share your baked potato, stuffed peppers, and sloppy joe recipes? I'm going to try the ratatouille tomorrow :)

I must start using my slow cooker again, school starts soon and that means no time for real dinners, only take out and frozen stuff.

-JK

JasperKat
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Made the ratatouille over brown rice for last night's dinner. I liked the flavor, but as Mr Kat said "it really pulverized the veggies". I like my veggies a little underdone in most cases, and the long cooking time took all the bite out of them. Next time I'll cut them into much larger pieces so they hold up better.

Baked beans are cooking right now! I hope I come home to a yummy-smelling house!

-JK

LazyGirl
12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Yay, I'm glad you liked the ratatouille! I should have warned you - slow cooking is definitely not the way to go when you want al dente veggies. Also, ratatouille is supposed to be like that, although I have to say that my veggies held up pretty well in my crock-ette. Here's a pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/drv1913/2116576340/).

Anyway, think of the slow cooker as the modern equivalent of the earthenware pot that was left on the embers all day long to braise/stew whatever was inside. Root vegetables are going to hold up best, along with beans and stuff like TVP or seitan.

LG, would you share your baked potato, stuffed peppers, and sloppy joe recipes?

There's no secret to the baked potatoes. I just wash them and stick them in the crockpot to cook while I'm at work. I don't use a microwave at home, so I bake my potatoes in the crockpot when I don't want to wait the hour or so to bake them in my toaster oven. The potatoes get really soft and done when you do them like this. You may want to invest a couple of bucks in an automatic timer so that you can set your crock pot to start cooking at a certain time. I got mine at The Home Depot, and it really comes in handy. I primarily use it to time oatmeal so that it's ready when I'm ready to eat breakfast in the morning.

Stuffed Peppers

This is a versatile recipe; you have a lot of options here. One way to save time and effort is to make these when you want to use up leftovers, particularly leftover white sauce or cheeze sauce. Otherwise, you may want to use canned versions of whatever binder you want.

2 medium green peppers
2 tablespoons minced onion
3/4 cup cooked rice (you can also substitute seasoned TVP or leftover bits of vegetables for all or part of the rice)
1/4 teaspoon salt or other seasoning
binder: basic medium white sauce, mushroom sauce/cream of mushroom base, cheeze sauce, tomato sauce, etc. Use your imagination and whatever you have in the fridge
1/3 cup water

Cut the tops off of the peppers and clean them out. Combine the remaining ingredients except the water in a small bowl. Pack each pepper tightly with the stuffing mixture. Put the peppers in the crock-ette; pour the water in the bottom. Cover and cook (on low, if you're not using a crock-ette) for approximately 8 hours.

Sloppy Joes

1 cup TVP
1 cup bouillon (or 1 cup water + bouillon cube)
about 1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery (optional; I hate celery and always leave it out)
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan, of course, for any newbies who may read this; I use Mr. Wizard's)
1/2 teaspoon salt or other seasoning (I am really into Spike these days or sea salt)
a couple of generous dashes of hot sauce

Dump everything into a slow cooker (not the crock-ette; you need something bigger like 3- or 4- quart); cook on low for about 8 hours. Put on buns.

Keep in mind that for me, 8 hours is always approximate. If I'm making something during the work week, I start the slow cooker right before I leave the house in the morning, and I'm generally not back before 10 hours.

Bonus recipe: White Bean & Tomato Soup with Rosemary (cooking right now in my crock-ette)

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons diced celery (again, optional)
1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
1 cup tomatoes with juice (I used canned diced tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup cooked or canned great northern beans (I never buy canned beans anymore; I buy dried, cook them in the crock pot, and freeze), drained
1/2 cup diced potatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (crumble it to release the flavor)

Dump everything into the crock-ette; cook approximately 8 hours; add salt & pepper or other seasoning to taste.

LazyGirl
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Just two quick notes about the white bean soup recipe: 1) broth or bouillion works better than plain water; and, 2) diced carrots would be a good substitute for the celery.

Dugan
02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I am a crockpot convert for cooking beans. Over the past several weeks, it's become my method of choice. Toss in water, dry beans, set dial to high, cover *poof* several hours later, cooked beans. No worry about burning another pan on the stove. I usually cook the entire 16 ounce bag at a time, then freeze the excess in 1-2 cup portions for later.

LazyGirl - good idea, the timer. I passed it along to a friend who is a frequent crockpot user. She loves the convenience of it and also knowing that she can make it turn off just in case she doesn't get home on time.

shananigans
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
*bump*

I got this (http://www.target.com/Hamilton-Beach-3-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000R8C7TW/ref=bxgy_cc_img_a_1041766/601-5533787-3552126) super nifty slow cooker. Great to hear it can be used for dried beans so easily!

I'm thinking about using it tomorrow for a little pot luck I'm hosting. Maybe sloppy joes, chili, not sure...

Suggestions please!

Joda
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
So I received an awesome crock pot for my birthday, used it once for some kind of stew... it turned out :umm: 'enh

... so now it sits in my art studio as a cooking post for tinted wax used in encaustic painting! I :heart: it! :silly:

Joda
06-27-2008, 07:40 PM
'cooking pot'... I meant to say 'pot' :rolleyes:

shananigans
06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I made LazyGirl's sloppy joes, and everyone loved them! Even my meatatarian brother-in-law ate 3. :) My sis asked about the TVP and is off to get some at the co-op today, she said it would make a great staple for camping. I love getting omnis to eat veggie versions of omni food, sometimes they like the veggie version as much if not better.

mishka
08-12-2008, 09:50 AM
amaranth in crockpot.

Failed.

I tried 1 cup of amaranth, 3 cups of water and a dash of salt, set it to low and let it cook overnight. This morning, there was a crust on top, burnt sides and squishy weirdness in the centre. The taste was a bit funny, too, though I've never eaten amaranth so I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste.

Has anyone else tried cooking grains in their slow cooker?

Miso Vegan
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Bummer. This is why I'm still afraid of my crock pot, although I've made 2 recipes successfully.

shananigans
08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I would think relatively quick cooking grains like amaranth, quinoa, barley and the like might do better in a rice cooker? I woudn't think the long cooking time would do them any favors.

I made some yummy peanut stew in my slow cooker a while ago. As far as I can remember, I used butternut squash (peeled and cubed), sweet potato, onion, garlic, beets, canned tomatoes, peanut butter, spices (cumin, corriander, cayenne, paprika, allspice, veg broth powder), covered with water and cooked on low for about 8 hrs. then partially blended with my immersion blender. Stirred in some cilantro right before eating. Super yummy.

mishka
08-12-2008, 02:53 PM
shananigans - that sounds incredible, and easy! I'm looking forward to the fall and having yummy winter squash soups :)

And you're prolly right about the rice cooker being more appropriate for amaranth. I read a recipe online for the slow cooker method, but now I just don't see what I could have done to make it work. Oh well - I'll try making the grains the real way tonight :)

Kat
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
hey guys!

Last night I threw together the multi-grain crockpot porridge recipe from Vesanto Melina's Becoming Vegetarian. She calls for 3/4 cup of grains to 3 cups of boiling water in a crockpot on low overnight. It should be porridge by morning. So I put 1/4 cup each of brown rice, barley, and quinoa in with the 3 cups of boiling water, left it on low from midnight until 7:00 AM....and it was scorched!

So where did I go wrong? Should I have added more water? Should I stir it once or twice throughout the night? Is my crockpot simply too hot? I'd really like to start making some crockpot porridges so that I can do less cooking in the morning (Yes, quick oats take five minutes but if I can branch out and try other grains, I think that'd be healthiest)

If anyone has any tips, or some tried-n-true recipes...

Calliope
08-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear your porridge didn't turn out Kat. :( I have no idea why it didn't work out, because I've never used my crockpot.

I have one that I got from my mom, but I've never used it. I'm a little OCD, and I think I'd worry that I was going to burn my apartment down if I left the house with it on, and I wouldn't be able to sleep with it going. It seems like it can make such tasty meals though, so once it cools down a little, I'm going to use it on one of my days off, so I can learn to trust it. :p

Anyone wanna reassure me that using my crockpot won't burn my apartment complex to the ground> :laugh:

lamb
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
There's no secret to the baked potatoes. I just wash them and stick them in the crockpot to cook while I'm at work. I don't use a microwave at home, so I bake my potatoes in the crockpot when I don't want to wait the hour or so to bake them in my toaster oven. The potatoes get really soft and done when you do them like this.

call me helpless, but how much water would you put in thur?

mishka
08-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Kat - it might depend on the grain. After my amaranth fiasco, I expect that cooking grains in the crock pot isn't so cut and dry. It seems to me that rice and barley would need more water than quinoa, and that quinoa would probably need less cooking time. Could you try again with just rice or barley, or try just quinoa when you are home to check on it, just as a test?

Dugan
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
call me helpless, but how much water would you put in thur?
I'm guessing you don't?

lamb
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm guessing you don't?

surprising but true! I was all torn because I thoughth surely they would turn black or burn up or start a fire without some moisture in there, but then the lightbulb turned on and I realized I could just google it. :rolleyes: Apparently you just wrap'em in foil and throw'em in there for 6-8 hours on low or 2.5 hours on high. ;)

Dugan
08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I are having a smart! To offset some earlier dumbnesses...

JasperKat
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Garbanzos and Couscous

1 small onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes (in a pinch, I have used dried sundried tomatoes and added extra water)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained (I buy dried garbanzos, cook them in the crockpot, then freeze them in 1-1/2 - 2-cup portions)
1 cup vegetable broth (or one veggie boullion + 1 cup water)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dump everything in crock pot; cook all day; mix in 1-1/2 cups cooked couscous 15 minutes before serving. Consume like a crazy person.

I'm going to make this for dinner later this week and I want to add some black eyed peas to it. Do you guys think I can add the dried beans in with everything else and just put more water in or should I cook them first?

LazyGirl, I made the sloppy joes that you posted and they were delcious!

I bought an appliance timer to use with my crockpot so I can have it turn on while I'm at work. :) Some of the recipes with shorter cook times look great, but with drive time and any errands I have to run after work I'm gone for 10 hours somedays.

-JK

mishka
08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I bought an appliance timer to use with my crockpot so I can have it turn on while I'm at work.
*smacks head* I never thought about that - I just always skipped past recipes that called for cooking for less than 8 hours on low :)

About your black eyed peas question - it may just work if you soak the peas first. I'm a bit more skeptical about doing this with chickpeas, though, because I think they need a much longer cooking time than black eyed peas.

elysa
08-28-2008, 01:00 AM
You know, I have the very same problem. I now use my small slow cooker to heat up baby bottles lol. But you know, there is a recipe for vegan chili on compassionateoverkilling.com that is absolutely PHENOMENAL that I imagine would do very well in your crock pot! And of course chili is versatile and you can make it however you want! I don't know about beans, though. I'm lazy and I buy them in cans. :) Hope I helped!

JasperKat
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I ended up soaking the black eyed peas for almost two days, changing the water a few times. I was going to make this Tuesday night but I got home much later than I planned to and didn't have time.

It's in the pot now, hope it turns out!

-JK

LazyGirl
08-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry I'm just now seeing this JK. Looks like you already figured out that yes, you can generally substitute soaked dried beans for canned beans - especially if you're going to be cooking them all day (8 - 10 hours). I do it all the time. I only soak mine overnight, though, and I do put some extra liquid in. So how did yours turn out?

I'm so glad you liked the sloppy joes! :banana:

JasperKat
09-03-2008, 09:50 AM
So how did yours turn out?

Pretty good! I made quinoa instead of couscous to mix in. The black eyed peas were pretty firm, but I've never had them before so maybe that's what they're supposed to be like?

I'm so glad you liked the sloppy joes! :banana:

I'm making them again this week!

-JK

JasperKat
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Stuffed Peppers
2 medium green peppers
2 tablespoons minced onion
3/4 cup cooked rice (you can also substitute seasoned TVP or leftover bits of vegetables for all or part of the rice)
1/4 teaspoon salt or other seasoning
binder: basic medium white sauce, mushroom sauce/cream of mushroom base, cheeze sauce, tomato sauce, etc. Use your imagination and whatever you have in the fridge
1/3 cup water

If I use TVP instead of rice should I reconstitute it first or do you think the water and the liquid from the tomato sauce that I will use as a binder will be enough?

-JK

LazyGirl
09-07-2008, 11:21 AM
In general, I usually just throw my TVP in dry with the other ingredients, but in this case, I would reconstitute it first.

shananigans
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
surprising but true! I was all torn because I thoughth surely they would turn black or burn up or start a fire without some moisture in there, but then the lightbulb turned on and I realized I could just google it. :rolleyes: Apparently you just wrap'em in foil and throw'em in there for 6-8 hours on low or 2.5 hours on high. ;)

I'm trying this out for the first time today with sweet potatoes. They were freakishly large so I cut them in half before wrapping in foil and put them in. Hope it works out, I love sweet potatoes but hate how long they take to cook in the oven. I'm thinking I'll mash them (maybe with a bit of molasses) and layer over some leftover lentil stew and bake that in the oven.

shananigans
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
I forgot about this thread, with fall on the way it's time to *bump*

I make sweet potatoes in my slow cooker pretty regularly, they turn out great.

I made the easiest split pea soup last night. I put in my slow cooker: 1 bag green split peas (well rinsed, soaked for a few hours and drained) 1/2 large onion chopped, a handful of baby carrots, 3 red potatoes chopped, a big spoonful of veggie broth powder, covered with water and set on low overnight. This morning I seasoned to taste with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, and pureed with my hand blender. Big old pot of stick-to-your-ribs soup for cheap! I had some for lunch and I haven't been hungry at all this afternoon, hooray for fiber and protein. :cool:

squirrel
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
That sounds delicious!!! How many hours is a few to soak the peas? ;)

shananigans
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Um, you know, a few ;)

It was from when I got home from work till before I went to bed, so I'd say about 3.5 - 4 hours.

squirrel
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
:p
Thanks, I'm going to make that soon. :)

bluedawg
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
oh yum, that sounds super delicious. :drool:

Calliope
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I need to start using my slow cooker. I've only used it once or twice, but I'm ascared of leaving the house with it on because I'm so paranoid that I'll burn my apartment down.

The overnight thing is a good idea though. Although maybe then I just wouldn't sleep because I'd be afraid of burning to death. :p

grog
09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Chijou cleaning mushrooms.

La Végétalienne
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hah! This thread always makes me think, "me! me! I'm a slow cooker!"

KaliMama
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought Chijou hated mushrooms. :confused:

grog
09-01-2009, 11:11 PM
nope that's some other weirdos

quagga
09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Chijou cleaning mushrooms.

Go to the Thursday night farmers market and get some oyster mushrooms. TOTALLY clean mushrooms b/c they grow on logs and are sliced clean off. $7/lb, but worth it.

KaliMama
09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
nope that's some other weirdos

Are you sure?

grog
09-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes.

and its not debris she picks off, its "yucky" spots. :silly:

KaliMama
09-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm sure you speed things right along by making fun of her while she does it. At least, that's what I would do.

Does she hate olives? I know she hates some food that I love. :brood:

Um...on topic...I made chili in my crock pot yesterday! It was really good, but I did not write down the recipe, so don't ask.

eta: :kiss: Chijou! I will now stop talking about you as if you weren't here.

Ariann
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I hate both mushrooms and olives! :) And I will be dusting off the crockpot soon.

bluedawg
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I hate both mushrooms and olives! :)

*high five*

p.s. and eggplant

lamb
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
p.s. and eggplant

D:

even breaded and fried? But how is that possible? :umm:

bluedawg
09-04-2009, 08:42 PM
it's because i'm like the worst vegan ever, and clueless omnis have such a hard time feeding me, bless their hearts. :silly:

lamb
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
hahaha I'm pretty much part of that club, too. But I do like olives, eggplant, and SOME mushrooms- I think my omnis are just extra clueless. ;)

Ariann
09-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Eggplant is still good in my book.

steroidicalkiwi
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
i am moving out soon and my boyfren and i plan to cook in a crock pot since we are both working (though he comes home at around 2pm). it's going to be :D and :drool: and :banana: and :cartwheel: