PDA

View Full Version : Help me pack my lunch :)

eatyourveggies
04-16-2003, 05:52 PM
ok..i end up eating alot of the same things every day...boring!!
not a big deal now as i currently live close to home and can come back here for lunch everyday...but im moving soon and will have to pack my lunch everyday....
i have a fridge and a microwave and a toaster at work.

please give me some of your favorite EASY TO PREPARE foods to pack in my lunchbag.

im not a good cook and i dont really have time to cook stuff...it has to be really easy or i wont end up doing it.

suggestions????

thanks
-jj

jenbizagogo
04-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi eatyourveggies,

I actually love to cook, but I'm usually too tired and lazy to do so after a long day at work! So I usually go for the quick and easy options as well! Here are some of my favorites:

Bagel sandwich with tofurky deli slices (I prefer the peppered), with a slice of tofutti america cheese, spread with soy mayo and dijon mustard....this one is good if you don't mind processed food.

Also, I usually keep a couple of cans of Amy's Organic Chili in my desk drawer at work. You could heat that up in the microwave good :) Don't forget the can opener though.

Also, pasta with marinara is easy to pre-make....you could even fry up some tofu with it.

Well, I guess I do spend a lot of time cooking on the weekends...I live alone so I only cook for myself, and I end up have loads of leftovers that sometimes can last me through the workweek for lunch.

Anyway, hope that helps! Good luck!

Rosemary
04-16-2003, 06:10 PM
I find packing a lunch difficult too.

One idea is to make double of whatever you're having for supper, then you can have leftovers for lunch.

herbi
04-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Hey eatyourveggies! I usually take a lunch too.

I'm with Jenbizagogo on both bagels (which we are lucky enough to often have at the office-- people take turns bringing them in, with Tofutti now that there's lots of us wacky vay-guns around... :)) and on yummy Tofurkey deli slices (I like the smoked ones myself).

I also will make a HUGE batch of anything I cook (pasta salad, lasagna, soup, potato salad, whatever) specifically so I can have things to take to work & heat up.

"Amy's" brand has lots of good stuff, but they're EXPENSIVE. (Prohibitively so for me.) My number one super-quick lunch idea is to stock up on a million & one of the little instant cups of stuff made by Fantastic Foods. Mmm... lots of their stuff is vegan. I particularly like: "Cha Cha Chili" (silly name I know), Couscous & Lentils, Miso Soup, Chicken-Free Noodles, and... I forget what else. But all you need is hot water! (Directions say add pre-boiling water, but I just put in cold water & nuke them-- just watch out they don't boil over!)

I also get an industrial-sized bag of baby carrots and leave it at work to eat throughout the week. Mmm... making me hungry! :)

misanthropy
04-17-2003, 12:11 AM
I almost never pack specific lunches. I always cook extra food the night before for dinner and pack the leftovers for lunch.

If I'm in a rush, I grab some bread and whatever raw veggies I have in my fridge and just munch on that for lunch.

Wow, I didn't help at all! ;)

EmetShamash
04-19-2003, 05:13 AM
peanut-butter bannanas and agave nectar on bagel says yum!

ajveg
04-20-2003, 01:58 PM
i actually tried this on a plane believe it or not but i love it and now always eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a sweet red pepper boil it, cook it whatever just make it soft then chop it up and serve it in a sandwich with vegan cream cheese. i never liked peppers before but really try this it's quick and sooooo good TRY THIS:p :D

Vulpyne
04-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Hi,
On the subject of kind of weird sounding food that tastes good:
Try walnuts (chopped or halves) in a sandwich on white bread with mayo. It's pretty good.
-Vulpyne

Husky Corn Star
04-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Marmite and potato chip sandwiches :D

VeganKen
04-20-2003, 07:57 PM
I always keep a couple of those miso noodle soup in a cup things in my desk drawer at work. That way when I'm low on food at home I can pack a salad and have soup and salad for lunch.

Emiloid
04-22-2003, 01:45 AM
I like to make a bunch of burritos and freeze them. You can freeze them on a cookie sheet (seam side down) and then pack them into a plastic container or two. I recommend heating them in the microwave (not on "defrost"--it takes too long), and then popping them in a toaster oven to make them crunchier on the outside if that's something you like.

Last time I did this it took about 1.5 hours to make about forty medium-small burritos, but that's including chopping and sauteing the veggies, cooking the beans, making the rice, assembling the burritos, etc.

Oh yeah, they seem to keep well in the freezer, too. I had a batch that lasted almost six months and they were just as good at the end as the beginning.

Hope this helps!

Vulpyne
04-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi,
Hey, how about a burrito recipe? :)
-Vulpyne

Originally posted by Emiloid

:snip: etc etc etc
burritos
etc etc etc :snip:

misanthropy
04-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Emiloid
I like to make a bunch of burritos and freeze them.

Mmmmm.... burritos!
:thinking:

Emiloid
04-22-2003, 05:29 PM
I'll try to sketch out a recipe for y'all... but be warned, I don't usually measure stuff. I'll have to do this later, though. Here's a good one in the meantime, from Compassion Without Killing (COK):

http://www.tryveg.com/recipes.php#black_bean_burritos

Of course, if you're freezing them, they need to be wrapped up on all sides, not spilling decoratively out one end. Oh, and leave out the lettuce--it doesn't freeze well.

its_a_gas
04-23-2003, 08:39 PM
My favorite lunch so far (I'm a total rookie vegan) has been tofurkey on pita bread with Good Slice american style soy cheese, tomatos, sprouts, and some vegan "bacon" bits. Good stuff!!

eatyourveggies
04-29-2003, 03:06 AM
thanks everybody :)

youre Grrrrreat !

muppetcow
04-29-2003, 08:04 AM
I keep a bag of baby carrots in the fridge at work and have a jar of peanut butter in my desk, so if all else fails, I eat carrots with peanut butter. I also usually have bananas, oranges, and apples in my desk. That way, I don't have to worry about packing much for my lunch--a veggie wrap or leftover beans and rice or a can of soup and I'm done.

Choi_yew
04-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by muppetcow
. I also usually have bananas, oranges, and apples in my desk.Sounds like your desk could second as a fruit stand, Muppet ;)

Choi

muppetcow
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Hee hee, Choi--actually it does sometimes. If one of my coworkers has a work emergency and can't get out for lunch, they'll often come to me for some fruit which I gladly provide. It's a lot better than if they ate some Doritos out of the vending machine.