PDA

View Full Version : Bridgette Bardot

JasperKat
04-15-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't know that she's one of my heros, because I don't know much about her, but it looks like Bridgette Bardot is involved in animal rights. Currently, protesting against the seal hunt (http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=32695)in Canada.

-JK

MissLovely
04-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh, I see. I thought you were posting this, because you wanted to say how much I reminded you of a young Bridgette Bardot. ;)

JasperKat
04-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Oh, I see. I thought you were posting this, because you wanted to say how much I reminded you of a young Bridgette Bardot. ;)

I can barely tell the difference!
http://images.hollywood.com/images/site/BridgetteBardot_smx.jpg
-JK

MissLovely
04-15-2006, 07:45 PM
It's uncanny.:laugh:

quagga
04-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I think Brigitte Bardot gets a lot done for animal welfare in Europe. She started as a star there and can still command a good share of media attention. She's been doing good work for animals for a long, long time.

Is she vegan? I don't know.

Fondation Brigitte Bardot (http://www.fondationbrigittebardot.fr/site/homepage.php?Id=2)

hazelfaern
04-16-2006, 03:41 AM
I wrote an e-mail and sent it to the Brigitte Bardot Foundation, asking precisely that. I'll post if and when I got a responding e-mail back.

LazyGirl
04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Um, y'all might want to do a little research on her political opinions. Do a search on reviews/critiques of her last book - Une Crie Dans La Silence.

I agree that she is a wonderful advocate for animals and she is one of my personal bombshell idols, but that's where my admiration ends.

KKB
04-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Um, y'all might want to do a little research on her political opinions. Do a search on reviews/critiques of her last book - Une Crie Dans La Silence.

I agree that she is a wonderful advocate for animals and she is one of my personal bombshell idols, but that's where my admiration ends.

I remember reading about this somewhere before... thanks for bringing it up here.
I believe that racial intolerance and animal exploitation/abuse generally both stem from the same source: ignorance. It doesn't make sense to me how someone can be simultaneously an animal rights activist and racist. :confused:

I'm not up to date on the actions taken against her for the statements made in her book... I only remember hearing something about the possibility of her being fined. I think she was asked to renig some of the blatantly racist remarks made against Muslims - and refused. I'm not sure... I couldn't find an article with the follow-up info. incl. the court's ruling in the case against her...

LazyGirl
04-17-2006, 06:21 AM

That's actually supposed to be Un Cri Dans La Silence. Geez, you'd never know that I spent more than ten years of my life studying french. :rolleyes:

It doesn't make sense to me how someone can be simultaneously an animal rights activist and racist.

I remember thinking this exact thought when I first heard about the controversy. How can a person be compassionate and enlightened enough to devote her life to defending the animals be so intolerant towards other human beings? But then, we all know people who are compassionate and tolerant in almost every way who still eat animal flesh, don't we?

Bardot and her husband are both pretty active with the Front National, a pretty conservative political party in France. I haven't yet obtained my own copy of her book, so I can't speak from firsthand experience about what she says. I used to have some bookmarks saved on the subject, but I just recently went through and cleaned out all of them. If I have time, I'll try to find & post a few of them here.