PDA

View Full Version : new vegan shoes vs. used leather shoes

Oatmeal Girl
04-11-2006, 09:03 PM
A vegan friend is going to buy dress shoes. He can't decide whether to buy:

1. new vegan shoes- these would be vegan, of course, and he would be supporting a vegan business. Downside- he would be buying new products, and he likes to get things secondhand as often as possible.

or

2. used leather/non-vegan shoes- he would be reusing, reducing waste, and consuming less by going this route, but they would not, of course, be vegan.

Money really isn't an object in this case. And we'll say that he's unable to find vegan shoes secondhand due to time constraints.

What would you do, and why?

atouria
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I would buy new vegan shoes. I wouldn't look down on your friend for buying used leather ones, though. He would be doing the environment a greater service than I would. I just wouldn't feel like trying to explain to an omni why I'm vegan and wearing leather shoes ~ especially at protests.

In summary, I'm voting for new vegan shoes, but that's only because your question asks which shoes *I* would buy. I think your friend is fine either way.

Oatmeal Girl
04-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I intended for you to vote for the option you would choose. I just stated his reasonings so you'd all get an idea of why he's having a hard time deciding.

attackferret
04-11-2006, 09:15 PM
ooh, sneaky, you can see who voted for what.

i went with the used shoes - the damage has already been done, and you're not supporting the industry anymore. using what's already there is, imho, more ethical than buying something new.

then again, i buy new things all the time, so i'm just a big ol' hypocrite.

JasperKat
04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
I agree with atouria, I don't need the hassle of explaining my leather shoes to people. I get confronted enough by people who feel defensive about their omniness (Hitler was a vegetarian! Don't you feel bad for carrots?!) without throwing that into the mix. Plus, I feel a little creepy wearing animal products now. I have a wool pea coat that I wear sometimes, and it squicks me out.

No judgements, though, your friend is AOK with me for reducing, reusing, and recycling!

-JK
is he on this board?

Oatmeal Girl
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I would take off the "public poll" option if I could; I normally don't do it that way, but I haven't posted on here in a while and I've forgotten the intricate workings of the board. But, since we are the best group of people in history and we don't pass judgement on eachother, we shouldn't have a problem. ;)

He is not on this board, to my knowledge.

Emiloid
04-12-2006, 12:42 AM
I voted for new vegan shoes (for a couple of reasons), but I'd also be likely to buy used vegan shoes, which is not listed as an option. I don't like the idea of wearing leather, though I still have and wear my old leather shoes. Somehow, buying another pair--even a used pair--seems unpleasant. I wouldn't want to add leather to my collection, partly because it seems icky, and partly because my shoes last forever and I'm trying to get rid of the leather ones! Maybe if I were just going to wear them for one occasion I would get a used leather pair and then redonate them.

It actually seems a little weird to me that I'd vote "new vegan" because I buy nearly all my clothes used, in part for environmental reasons... though even then I'm pretty careful to avoid animal products. So in short, I wouldn't buy leather unless I had no other options. However, like others have said, I certainly wouldn't hold it agianst someone if they did. I'm totally pro-used clothes!

Tracy G
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Here's a similar poll (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=4759) posted previously.

I still carry a leather briefcase (gift from husband, pre-vegan days), and no one's ever once asked me about it. Or any of my shoes, for that matter. Shrug.

LazyGirl
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I'd rather buy new vegan shoes and have the secondhand leather shoes available for the people who are going to wear leather shoes anyway. It's LazyGirl Logic (TM), and it works for me. :)

Actually, I would probably never buy secondhand shoes (I buy other secondhand stuff all the time).

spasticastic
04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I would buy new vegan shoes. The argument against buying them is that the manufacture of new products is BAD. But a pair of vegan dress shoes are going to be REALLY DURABLE. I have a pair. The material they use now is like leather because it adapts to your feet and is very sturdy. If he's like me, he will only wear them a few times a year. In that case, the shoes will last for years and years! Spread out over that long, the evil-manufacture-of-new-products argument loses weight. Also, because of how long he will have the shoes, the inconvenience of wearing leather (continuous explanations, possible guilt) increases. Summary: the longer you will own the shoes, the more it makes sense (to me) to buy durable vegan ones.

If the shoes were only going to be worn once and then thrown away, I'd say get the used ones. Likewise if the shoes would only be worn three times and then thrown away. But with dress shoes he will probably have them for years, so why not get a good pair of vegan ones and bond with them?

Also, I like to support the companies that make these vegan shoes, since they are as concerned about the environment and animals as your friend is. Otherwise they wouldn't be making them!

apples_for_eva
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
i'd go with new vegan shoes, because i'm kind of feeling weird about wearing pieces of dead things on my feet. but, if i didn't feel weird about the dead things on my feet, i'd be ok with used beastie shoes.

LazyGirl
04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
beastie shoes

This is what I shall be calling them from now on.
:laugh:

iamtheqbu
04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I voted new shoes, but if I found some used shoes at a thrift store or something that I really loved, hells yeah I'd buy them, vegan or not! I'd have to really :drool:LOVE:drool: them though.

Oatmeal Girl
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the link to the other poll, Tracy!

bluedawg
04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
i voted "new vegan shoes" for similar reasons to atouria et al. :)

i prefer not to wear leather, and i find myself generally avoiding even my own leather (pregan) shoes... so for me it's a personal comfort thing i guess. but i wouldn't look down on anyone for buying used leather shoes, i definitely understand the rationale.

(plus i love shoe shopping, heh.)

hazelfaern
04-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I didn't read the first post before I voted so my answer probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm with Emiloid. I buy a lot of my stuff used from thrift stores (it's shared community wealth, like librarys, and that rocks just on premise alone).

But if the question isn't just "what shoes would you buy?" but "what shoes would you buy for a dress occasion when money isn't a problem and used vegan shoes are not an option" I would definately go with new vegan shoes.

For one, money's not an option and so I think it'd be great to simultaneously share some personal wealth with a company which shares my values while getting psyched and prepped for the big event. Also, if this were me, I'd go to great lengths to find a unique, snazzy pair of dress shoes so that whenever I got a compliment or a comment on my shoes, I could model them proudly, do a little happy dance and then say "And they're vegan!" -- this would open a small window to expose a few individuals to vegansim and the notion that not every vegan option is inferior to an omni one. In fact, on occasion, the reality is quite the reverse and my happy vegan feet would subtly share this.

It's a big event and dress shoes tend to pinch. Why let those same shoes pinch your sense of morale and advocacy, too?

Oatmeal Girl
04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Also, if this were me, I'd go to great lengths to find a unique, snazzy pair of dress shoes so that whenever I got a compliment or a comment on my shoes, I could model them proudly, do a little happy dance and then say "And they're vegan!" -- this would open a small window to expose a few individuals to vegansim and the notion that not every vegan option is inferior to an omni one. In fact, on occasion, the reality is quite the reverse and my happy vegan feet would subtly share this.

Ohh, this might be the clincher.

hazelfaern
04-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Yay! Glad to share :)

Emiloid
04-13-2006, 03:23 PM
... i find myself generally avoiding even my own leather (pregan) shoes...

"Pregan", I love it! And it's soooo necessary! I'm definitely stealing that. BTW, is that a brand apankin' new word? ;)

bluedawg
04-13-2006, 03:28 PM
hee, apankin'. awesome.

no, it's not new/original; i stoled it. ;) i'm not sure if he coined it, but i attach it to the always entertaining Eppy over at ppk.com. i love it though, because it's so quick and easy and useful.

veganshawn
05-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Better yet why not try and find vegan shoes used :)

zatoichi
05-06-2006, 11:24 AM
i wouldn't buy new shoes at all. normally i wear sandals, so my sneakers are effectively my dress shoes.

dropscone
05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
My mum always taught me it was icky to wear other people's shoes and it's one of a fairly small number things I agree with her on :)

spasticastic's answer made a lot of sense to me, and those are all excellent points, but the first thing I'd be thinking about the non vegan option is "*used* *leather* shoes - eeew!"

VegeTexan
05-09-2006, 03:16 PM
I am starting a new campaign, Bovine Shoes or B.S. for short.

For too long I have worried about cows having to stand around in their own crap on factory farms and dairy stalls, so here is what I propose....

All you new vegans who are worrying about what to do with your old leather shoes....donate them to Bovine Shoes. Let's get these animals more comfortable and return the leather to it's source.

Old leather shoes can be mailed to B.S. in care of Greg Lawson, 299 King's Point Drive apartment 82, El Paso, TX 79912, and I will see to it that this needless abuse of cattle comes to an end.
:thinking:

VegeTexan
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
P.S. to B.S.
If this is successful, I will be starting a campaign to weave blankets for captured horses in Bureau of Land Management capture facilities out of the left-over horsehair from horse slaughterhouses.

theveganmary
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I would buy new vegan shoes. I wouldn't look down on your friend for buying used leather ones, though. He would be doing the environment a greater service than I would. I just wouldn't feel like trying to explain to an omni why I'm vegan and wearing leather shoes ~ especially at protests.

In summary, I'm voting for new vegan shoes, but that's only because your question asks which shoes *I* would buy. I think your friend is fine either way.

Ditto.

QrkyMoon
05-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I am so glad that you posted this!

I would buy new vegan shoes, but probably partly for the reason dropscone said. My mother is 100% against anything used by people we don't personally know (family hand-me-downs are ok, though) and the shoe thing has carried over.

But I am so happy that other vegans have admitted to using leather items they bought pre-vegan. I have a leather belt that I bought before I went vegan and every time I put it on I go through this little song and dance in my head: "it's wrong to wear leather, but if I were to go out and buy a brand new vegan belt it would create more pollution, which is worse for animals than wearing a belt I've had for seven or eight years... argh!"

I am going to look through this section some more, but does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, healthy for your body (ie no heels), vegan, womens dress shoes?

Vegtink
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I also have always been told you do not pass along or even share shoes, underwear (extrememly gross) or bathing suits (I think that goes along the underwear idea.) Any who, I would buy new. I have foot issues. I hate ugly feet and used shoes could have had ugly fungi feet in them. I hate to create more waste, but I am also a girl and love new shoes.

Emiloid
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I am going to look through this section some more, but does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, healthy for your body (ie no heels), vegan, womens dress shoes?

Here's a whole thread on shoes (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=4269)! Maybe you'll find some good leads? Personally, I'd recommend Earth Shoes (http://www.earthvegan.us/), but they're not everyone's style.

QrkyMoon
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Here's a whole thread on shoes (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=4269)! Maybe you'll find some good leads? Personally, I'd recommend Earth Shoes (http://www.earthvegan.us/), but they're not everyone's style.

Omg! They are so cute! Thanks! I already have $220 worth of shoes that I want :)

Anik
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
If you buy a used leather shoe then you are decreasing the supply of leather shoes on the market. There is a limited supply of dress-shoes on the second-hand market, and if you are looking for dress shoes you want them for a specific purpose, so you will just buy a new pair if you can't find a used. Buying a used shoe increases the demand for shoes, so that deprives an omnivore of the chance to be slightly more ethical.

Also by buying a used leather shoe which supports the leather industry, you are also contributing to environmental degradation. For instance to make the leather, cows have to be fed etc.

So by buying a vegan shoe you are only destroying the environment. By buying a leather shoe you are destroying the environment, as well as supporting the leather industry.

It also depends on the degree of environmental damage that each option causes. Raising cows causes more damage than raising crops (I think).

Dandelion
05-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Raising cows causes more damage than raising crops (I think).
yup because in the best case scenario you still have to raise crops for the animals. a double hit!

VegeTexan
05-19-2006, 12:46 AM
If you buy a used leather shoe....

Is that Karl Marx with a lampshade on his head?
I love Karl, he was one of my favorite Marx brothers.
Tell us about your avatar choice at
http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=7658

Lyrical-lynx
05-19-2006, 08:09 AM
I think i would go for witch ever ones looked best! I dont have a problem with secound hand non vegan but its really hard to buy secound hand shoes at the best of times so it would prob be easier to buy new vegan!

I actully have abit of truble with the whole leather shoes thing though as i have a pair of walking boots with leather on them, i got them when i was 11 (i went vegan at 13) and i am now 20, they still fit me (yes i was very big for 11 but haven't grown since!) I was going to buy some new vegan boots, but then i realised that there was nothing wrong with my old ones apart from the fact that they were leather! I kept the boots, but i end up feeling like i have to explaine myself all the time! This wouldn't stop me buying more secound hand leather though if it was really something i wanted, and going to a charityshop not a perivet seller, does that make any sence?!

I do worrie though when i am around other vegans (strangly i am not bothered around everybody else) but i worrie they will notice and think less of me, but as i can see them most of these mails i dont think any of you would, its just me being paranoied! ah well that would be me i guess, i always seem to be worrying that i am not a good enough vegan, but i do the best i can to the best of my abilitys and that should be good enough i just have to remind myself of that!
:-)

veganshawn
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I would rather not have leather at all, it gives off a double standard.

Anik
06-08-2006, 09:54 PM
links to online vegan shoe shops

http://www.veganwares.com/

http://www.veganline.com/

carabdle
06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I get confronted enough by people who feel defensive about their omniness (Hitler was a vegetarian!)
I haven't read all the replies and I know you were saying what omnis mention, but Hitler was NOT a vegetarian (did anyone else mention he wasn't?)...he called himself a vegetarian, but then he would eat things like blood sausages--which are FAR from vegetarian!

grog
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
i think we should make shoes out of human cadever skin. its a totally renewable resource.

Emiloid
06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
i think we should make shoes out of human cadever skin. its a totally renewable resource.

Voila! (http://www.brandejs.ca/portfolio5/shoe.php)

Anik
06-16-2006, 09:40 PM
oh man that's disgusting

Miso Vegan
06-18-2006, 12:42 AM
If it's not too late to warn people, I'd like to, uh, warn people with sensitive stomachs that the link Emiloid gave is pretty gross - even tho it's latex. It made me pretty queasy.

hazelfaern
06-18-2006, 01:53 AM

OMG, from the maker of Genpets, the Flesh Shoe! Tres cool! I love this artist!

Emiloid
06-18-2006, 01:10 PM
OMG, from the maker of Genpets, the Flesh Shoe! Tres cool! I love this artist!
Yep, that's how I knew about it. Sorry I didn't warn y'all how creepy/gross it is.

hazelfaern
06-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Yep, that's how I knew about it. Sorry I didn't warn y'all how creepy/gross it is.

I guees it could be creepy/gross. It didn't look very realistic to me, so it hit me more as a droll, artsy abstract statement. But then, too, it's a still picture... I'm not sure if I'd feel quite the same way if I was viewing the concept shoe in person or if the idea was presented in video, instead of as a snapshot.

Vegtink
06-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh puking in my oown mouth and swallowing it back down gross.

Emiloid
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh puking in my oown mouth and swallowing it back down gross.
Now that's gross!!

Chijou_no_seiza
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I voted new vegan shoes for several reasons.

Buying a used shoe increases the demand for shoes, so that deprives an omnivore of the chance to be slightly more ethical.

I partially agree with this. A person who shops at secondhand stores are not necessarily omnivores, but perhaps more accurately not as environmentally conscience (buying perhaps for fashion/monetary reasons).

If I had the option to buy a pair of used leather shoes but I don't buy them someone else will. Buying used leather shoes increases the demand for the stores to take used leather shoes (I am refering to higher end thrift stores, not the salvation army).

On the otherhand if I buy a vegan shoe I am supporting a good industry by promoting the availability of shoes to vegans and potential vegans. Also a non environmental vegan would need the option of buying vegan shoes and if there is no demand we will have less vegan shoe stores/insanely expensive shoes or have to only buy from cheap shoes from sweatshop factories (like walmart shoes made of plastic).

What is available now has already been created and I'd rather have my purchases shape a (vegan friendly) future rather than deal with what's left from the past. Since if they are shoes that I would buy, they'd have to be pretty nice and undoubtabley would be bought by someone else so they would not end up in a landfill.

I also personally would not be able to deal with the "I'm not buying new products">"I'm wearing a dead animal".

awarder
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I really don't see what's wrong with buying used leather. It seems almost everyone would go for the new vegan. I do buy new vegan shoes also, but if no one bought used leather shoes, they'd just be thrown away which is horrible for the environment. It's not supporting the leather industry. It seems the most used reasons are that wearing any leather is "icky", which I can kind of understand, but I think the reason that they don't want to explain to others is not a good reason. If we cared what other people thought, we wouldn't become a vegetarian or vegan in the first place. Who are they to tell us wearing used leather is wrong when they are going around buying new leather which supports the extreme cruelty of the leather industry. Just explain to them that buying used leather doesn't support the leather industry and it is better for the environment. If they still want to argue or don't agree, then whatever. They are stupid if they don't understand your reasons, b/c they make absolute sense. People will always want to argue with you anyways, so although I get angry from time to time when I've heard every argument you could come up with and yet I still have an answer to every one, I try not to get bothered by it since I know I'm right and I'm the only person I need to convince. They just want to justify supporting animal cruelty, b/c you being a vegetarian or vegan just points that out to them. :D

awarder
04-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh, and also, buying leather shoes does not increase demand for the thrift stores. They may want to take more leather shoes, but people aren't going to go and buy leather shoes just so they can later sell them to the thrift store. They plan on wearing them, not losing money by selling them to a thrift store... I do see why you would rather support vegan industries, but that doesn't mean I don't buy their products also.

sitting_vegan
04-10-2008, 06:50 PM
I said 'other' before reading the post associated with the poll. If money were no object, I'd buy new vegan. I was just in the thrift store earlier and could see buying used leather if money were the issue.

GG'smom
04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
I would go for the old leather. Same for sofas. You can not bring back a dead animal but you can stop creating waste. As for dealing with questions, I like that. I like hearing from other people and sharing what I think.