PDA

View Full Version : Netflix/online movie rental

JillS
04-10-2006, 07:51 PM
What online movie rental service do you use? What's your experience with Blockbuster, Netflix, Intteliflix, or Qwickfliks? I'm having a hard time deciding which one to pick so I just want to hear your opinions on which one do you like to use.

herbi
04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
We get the 3 per month deal from NetFlix. It's pretty cool! There's a distribution center in Chicago, so they usually come really fast (although right around/after Christmas, which was just a month or so after we signed up to begin with, they got S - L - O - W, which I think was just from the volume of mail?). We've had 2 or 3 damaged disks (one was the same movie a couple times in a row, disk broken in different places, which led D to believe that the Universe did not want us to see that film, so we cancelled it! :silly: ), which you just tell them about and they send a replacement and don't charge you for it or anything. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

gladcow
04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
we use Netflix currently. We have tried Blockbuster in the past, but it doesn't come as fast as Netflix (plus I like that Netflix thought of it first). We have the 3 at a time deal with one queue for the kids and one for each adult. it works mighty fine for us, we are quite happy.

Miso Vegan
04-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I had Blockbuster for a bit when it was still kinda new - 3 at a timed deal - and tho it was fast (with a shipping center practically in my neighborhood) I found the selection limited and not growing fast enough. The monthly in-store cooupons helped.

If the selection is better now, I'd say it's on par with netflix, whch we now have. The error rate has been the same, the disc quality/scratchiness has been the same, the shipping/turnaround time has been the same, and the ease of use has been the same. The cost is the same, but without a free in-store rental (which we don't really need but I'd use it if we had it).

Both have a local distribution center, so if I were choosing between the two I'd want to find out shipping times and that'd end up being my deal-breaker (assuming BB has the movies you want to see).

Blockbuster gives money to anti-abortion groups among other conservative practices (or at least they used to), if that sways you one way or the other.

tipsyvegan
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
i use greencine

they have many more documentaries and foreign films than netflix:D

http://www.greencine.com/main

:skull:

bumblebee
04-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Hated intelliflix. They sent movies in a total random order and rarely. Hated them. Love Netflix and join off and on depending on how busy we're going to be.

Michael
04-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I've used Blockbuster for quite a while and really like it. They've recently started shipping some of the movies from our local BB stores. Plus you get 2 free in-store rental coupons per month.

stegan
04-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm a big fan of the Netflix, although I'm not watching as many movies lately as I had been. They may not have everything I'm looking for all the time, but it'll take me so long to go through the stuff they DO have that it won't matter. :)

kikkert
04-11-2006, 07:42 AM
We were talking film at a local veg club event over the weekend and 2 people mentioned something they read in Utne.......

Movie Movement - Can film clubs launch a progressive revolution?
óBy Tyler Otis, Utne magazine March / April 2006 Issue

The cineplex is far from obsolete, but the Netflix business model is radically changing the way we watch films. One of the most promising developments is the burgeoning film club movement. Like book clubs, film clubs bring together like- (and unlike-) minded folks to view and discuss films.

ironweedfilms.com

filmmovement.com

spiritualcinemacircle.com

Emiloid
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
i use greencine

they have many more documentaries and foreign films than netflix:D

http://www.greencine.com/main

:skull:

Darnit! I just heard about this and was going to suggest it, but you beat me! It sounds like a good service. :)

walrus
07-15-2007, 03:35 PM
anyone wanna be my netflix friend (http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/PATP7NnFY7QdRdYnPqFi)?

also, can the title of this thread be changed to 'netflix/online movie rentals' or something like that? i almost didn't click on it because i didn't feel like reading the whole title. :rolleyes:

Jessica
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I had netflix a couple years ago. Then I tried blockbuster. Their selection wasn't as wide as Netflix. I went back to Netflix. Then apparently the longer you're a member and a frequent renter, the slower they are to ship out movies to you. My brother called about it and they straight up told him he's a frequent renter and they reserve the right to hold onto movies longer before shipping them out. Then blockbuster started the in-store trade in, where instead of mailing your movies back you can go into the store and trade it for an in-store movie, and as soon as they take it from you its put into the system for blockbuster to send out your next one. It's awesome now. And you still get 1 in-store free rental coupon.
I have movies all the time. Hence the reason I'm always posting in the Movies thread. :D

OH, and I pay 19.07 after taxes per month for 3 at a time.

walrus
07-15-2007, 04:40 PM
It's awesome now.OH, and I pay 19.07 after taxes per month for 3 at a time.
really? i've thought about trying it. i really don't want to re-build a new queue though. :umm:

i'm going to do the trial offer and see what happens.

Jessica
07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
really? i've thought about trying it. i really don't want to re-build a new queue though. :umm:

i'm going to do the trial offer and see what happens.
copy your list and reinput it all on blockbuster. I did that with netflix.

And blockbuster doesn't slow their shipping. It's shipped the same day you trade it in at the store for an in-store movie.

Flower
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't do either of them now, but I have tried both in the past. We'll probably go with the online blockbuster once the weather starts getting crappy again. The one at a time is only about ten bucks, so with the store trade, it's a good deal.

walrus
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
copy your list and reinput it all on blockbuster. I did that with netflix.

And blockbuster doesn't slow their shipping. It's shipped the same day you trade it in at the store for an in-store movie.
i've heard about that from netflix users before. i think seitanicvegan has been through that. i already created my trial blockbuster account and added (almost) all of my movies. unfortunately, some of the ones i had in netflix are not available with blockbuster. is there a way to request them or something?

Jessica
07-15-2007, 06:48 PM
i've heard about that from netflix users before. i think seitanicvegan has been through that. i already created my trial blockbuster account and added (almost) all of my movies. unfortunately, some of the ones i had in netflix are not available with blockbuster. is there a way to request them or something?
I'm not sure. I did have, I believe it was 4, that netflix had that BB didn't. I never contacted them to ask.

walrus
07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
so, someone (i'm assuming from here) accepted my netflix friend request, but i have no idea who you are. :uhoh:

computergirl
07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
so, someone (i'm assuming from here) accepted my netflix friend request, but i have no idea who you are. :uhoh:
LOL oops :laugh: I was going to tell you right away and then I got distracted and forgot. My membership is actually under my sister's name but we share it. I'm Heather.