PDA

View Full Version : Ello Ello :)

bunnyluvschaitea
04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Yea so I'm new to this site...
I was just curious if anyone knew if it was healthy to eliminate all animal products in one fell swoop...
because my body has no problem going meatless, but eliminating dairy and eggs has had a major toll on me, and as much as it grosses me out to eat/drink these items, its the only thing that has made me feel better and have more energy.
Yes, I do have soy milk and other vegan substitutes, but I am also poor :confused:

grog
04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
that's called detox. how long were you off? it takes a few weeks.

Emiloid
04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Not everyone has problems. I don't remember going through any kind of detox, and I went straight from omni to vegan (basically... read my vegan story for details). Anyway, I think it coudl be a combination of detox, getting used to new foods, and maybe even a food allergy. Have you been eating/drinking soy for a long time? Some people are allergic to it, so if it's a new food in your life you might want to try some other milk, like almond or rice milk, and see if your symptoms abate.

A lot of people here are poor (or just cheapskates). I don't think a vegan diet needs to be more expensive than an omni one. In fact, it can easily be cheaper. If you're eating a lot of fake meats and cheeses it will be more expensive, so if you can cut back on those it will be a lot less expensive. If you cook from scratch, being vegan will be a LOT cheaper than if you eat meat, eggs, and dairy.

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!!! :)

VegeTexan
04-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Bunny..ect. Welcome to our group.
I went vegetarian overnight and gradually worked my way into veganism. I never experienced detox problems. I felt better from the start.
Some new vegans miss protein, make sure you get enough to start with.
Protein problems are mostly a myth created by the meat and dairy industries, however, many of us do need nutrient dense foods to help us make the transitition to a plant based diet.

I hope you find the support you need here at VRF.

-Greg

VegeTexan
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
A lot of people here are poor (or just cheapskates). I don't think a vegan diet needs to be more expensive than an omni one. In fact, it can easily be cheaper. If you're eating a lot of fake meats and cheeses it will be more expensive, so if you can cut back on those it will be a lot less expensive. If you cook from scratch, being vegan will be a LOT cheaper than if you eat meat, eggs, and dairy.

I agree with Emiloid. I find that I can eat on a couple of dollars a day. Sometimes I splurge with soy shrimp or some other vegan delicacy (I don't like to think of meat analogs as fake meat, though. The word "meat" used to mean the centerpiece of the meal. It used to be more aligned with nut meats and the meaty parts of squash, etc. The carnivores took over the word for their own use.

Give me a big plate of Tofutti sausage and cooked cabbage. Give me a boca burger. I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste.

-Greg

bunnyluvschaitea
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanx for all the responses so far :)
I guess I'll just still go at my own pace, I'm definetly a vegetarian, and I love soy products but for the reasons i stated, I'm going to do this slowly.

gur
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
welcome, bunny! :D your idea to go at your own pace is a great one; it can be overwhelming just starting out. We're all here to help you though!
i searched the forums for ya and came up with a few threads that touch on eating inexpensively. i'm sure there are others as well. :)

http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=4893&

http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=3649&

http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=2902

bunnyluvschaitea
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
i wish i could petition for a trader joes to get built in houston!!
i miss trader joes from when i lived in cali..they had great cheap organics.