PDA

View Full Version : Alarm clock sounds

atouria
03-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm curious as to what kind of alarm clock and, more specifically, what kind of sound you wake up to every morning?

We have the most irritating alarm clock sound that EIITT EIITT EIITT ~ my best representation of that sound in text ~ it's the common sound, I think. I just think it's a horific way to wake up every day. Then my hubby hits snooze x 100beellion, so I hear it over and over. ARGHH!

I've noticed this zen alarm clock (http://www.huggermugger.com/productDetailServlet?M_ProductStoreCategory_ID=100 0140) for several years, but have never gotten up the muster to spend $100+ on an alarm clock. I'm seriously starting to consider it, though.

Does anyone have a nice peaceful alarm that awakes them in a not so trainwreck sort of way?

ETA: Yes, and if it isn't an alarm what/who wakes you?

:)

grog
03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
3 hungry cats.

tipsyvegan
03-28-2006, 11:31 PM
oh, most definatly the cats wake me more regularly than an alarm clock...

but i use my lil ipod station thing, i can wake up to any song id like. lately ive been waking up to the french learning audio i purchased off itunes. :D

dont tell me im a corporate ho for buying ipod stuff, cause i already know it. :rolleyes:
:D

Tracy G
03-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I just wake up on my own. Sometimes the dog helps.

bird
03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
3 hungry cats.She said in a non-train wreck kind of way.

herbi
03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
We have the clock-radio set to the classical station. The Pros are: freqently get an "ease into it" sort of wake-up to some nice Mozart, etc, and then there's usually a weather report sometime around the time I need to wake up, so I can lay there and figure out whether I need longjohns under the scrubs, an umbrella, etc. :) Also the DJs have soothing "classical" voices instead of "HEY I"M CRAZY MORNING DJ JERKWAD COMIN ATCHA!", complete with fratboy jokes and bicycle horns. :rolleyes: The Cons are: they also read little newsbriefs, so sometimes poor Dandelion is traumatized by hearing about Bird Flu or War when he's in a half-sleep state as I'm waking up, and sometimes they'll be playing some horrible "opera stars murder folk tunes" track. :p

Of course, we're both super lazy snooze-a-holics, so there's the Backup Alarm of an annoying beep, about 10 minutes after the music kicks in. (loved the "EEITT!" rendition, btw! :laugh: )

Back in the day when I lived alone in a studio apartment and had cable, I would set my TV to wake me up, sometimes to the Weather Channel and sometimes to the Cartoon Network. :)

atouria
03-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Eeep! I forgot about clock radios. If a mod would like to add that to the poll, I'd appreciate it. :)

herbi, the classical station is a great idea. *And I completely agree about the crazy morning DJ's. ughhh. :p

tipsyvegan, I'm an ipod owner as well. Which docking station do you use? I could set up some nice yoga music to wake up to!

atouria
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Tracy G, I love waking up on my own, but that doesn't always work out since hubby has to be up so early and we usually go to bed so late. I guess I need to work on getting to bed sooner. :)

Miso Vegan
03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
atouria, first of all, I :heart: your new avatar.

Second, we have a clock radio. From Nanashi I have learned to hit snooze several times. But if it were just me, I'd set the alarm for the last possible minute I could get up, and then not hit snooze. I have it set to NPR, which Nanashi hates (because he hates talk radio, not because he's Republican or something). But the iPod, that's an idea....

eta: hey! your avatar is similar to mine! :silly:

MissLovely
03-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I bought an alarm clock that starts out quiet, and gets increasingly more audible. It's nice because my husband always turns it off right away, before it gets loud. My alarm clock is a two year old jumping on me saying, "Let's go! Mommy!" Before I found the clock I have I was tempted to buy a Zen Alarm Clock, with chimes that increase gradually. I like to wake up peacefully. (Heh, pre kids.) My biggest, most unbearable pet peeve is alarm clocks on t.v.

attackferret
03-29-2006, 01:40 AM
i have problems waking up in the morning, so freshman year one of my friends tested out all the alarm clocks he could find in stores(s?) and bought me the loudest one available. it really is amazingly loud, everyone comments on it when they hear it the first time. i, of course, am now used to it and can hit snooze/turn it off without remembering i've done so.

my brother just got this really cool wrist watch - i haven't heard a recent assessment of how well it works, but the basic idea is this: with a motion sensor, it can detect whether you're in REM sleep or not. you set the alarm to a range of times, and the alarm goes off when you're in your lightest sleep state, so it's easiest to wake up.

tipsyvegan
03-29-2006, 02:22 AM
once i had a radio alarm that my big boy claude could turn the radio on with his paw... i had to keep it at the highest volume so i would wake up in the morning, but the darn cat is so smart he learned to turn the thing on whenever he wanted food, so i would frequently be jolted awake by REO speedwagon or something of the sort...:rolleyes:

JasperKat
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Before I found the clock I have I was tempted to buy a Zen Alarm Clock, with chimes that increase gradually. I like to wake up peacefully. (Heh, pre kids.) My biggest, most unbearable pet peeve is alarm clocks on t.v.

I would surely sleep through that. Peaceful chimes? No way would that get me up. My alarm clock is similar to atouria's, the annoying generic alarm, and I hit snooze at least twice. I hate waking up early.

-JK

mishka
03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I can't be trusted to hit snooze. I would abuse the snooze.

My alarm has 2 alarms built in. The first one is a radio alarm, and the second is one of the annoying "wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah..." beeps and has 3 different volume settings (currently set on the lowest).

In the mornings, I turn off the radio and get up with the "wah wah," which are set half an hour apart. I like to have a warning that gently tells me "Hey, you're gonna have to get up soon, but good news! you have another half hour to laze in bed!"

atouria
03-29-2006, 09:22 AM
MisoVegan, Thanks for the compliment on the avatar. I'm really saddened by the seal clubbing and really hope that the new prime minister (is that right?) does something about it. I hope the outcry starts to create a change in their 'tradition.' I love your lil' piggy, btw. :)

MissLovely, those annoying alarm clocks on tv is exactlywhat ours sounds like. It's the most unpleasant way to wake up.. but I dunno, I think that attackferret may be able to win the prize for the most loud/annoying/wake_up_with_a_heartattack alarm clock, ever!

i had to keep it at the highest volume so i would wake up in the morning, but the darn cat is so smart he learned to turn the thing on whenever he wanted food, so i would frequently be jolted awake by REO speedwagon or something of the sort...

OMG, too funny! What a smart@$$ cat. LOL

quagga
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
I have the loudest alarm ever, having had some nasty episodes where my previous wimpy alarm clock failed to wake me up. When the days start getting longer, though, I tend to wake up with the dawn naturally. It's mostly in the winter that I have trouble.

Hey, does everyone know that this weekend (2am on Sun April 2) is Daylight Saving Time in most parts of the US?? We lose an hour--spring forward and fall back.

Miso Vegan
03-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Whoa! Thanks for the head's up!

quagga
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
DST is also discussed here (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=5687)...

tipsyvegan
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
ohhhh...its on sunday?

good, dont have any plans on sunday.

no matter who warns me or how long in advace i know i still manage to screw this one up.

i think they should get rid of daylight savings time. it sucks. in my book at least.:kiss:

bluedawg
03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
atouria, i think i have the same alarm as you. loud annoying digital noise. we used to use a radio station but our reception was kind of crizappy and also it was easier to ignore when it was just a song playing or whatever. i also have our alarm clear across the room so we HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. my husband likes to hit snooze, but i hate it and avoid it at all costs. i set the alarm for when i HAVE to get up. i don't want to waste "quality sleepy time" with waking up every 9 minutes to hit snooze.

attackferret, that REM watch thingie sounds really interesting!! what a cool idea.

Emiloid
03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I bought an alarm clock that starts out quiet, and gets increasingly more audible.
I have one like that. It goes "bee-bee-bee-beet! bee-bee-bee-beet!" for maybe 30 seconds? Then it gets louder... and then it changes to a crazy fast beeping that sounds (to me) like a bomb about to go off. I usually snooze it during the "quiet" part. But get this: the sooze is only 4 minutes!! :brood:

I'd love an alarm that woke me up more gently. Sometimes alarms are so jarring I feel like I have to go back to sleep to recover.... :p

walrus
03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I use my old Nokia cell phone as an alarm clock. It starts out quiet but gets louder really quick. beep! beep - beep - beep - beep - beep - beep! BEEP - BEEP - BEEP - BEEP - BEEP - BEEP - BEEP! Eh, it works. I like that I can take it with me on trips because it's so small.

LazyGirl
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I usually wake up to NPR, though that is not nearly as exciting now that Bob Edwards is gone. Steve & Renee just don't have the same appeal.

I can also program my alarm to wake me up with a song from a CD or three different buzzer sounds (all equally annoying), but I generally just leave it on NPR. I hit the snooze button once, let my dog out and back in, and then get back in bed for about 30 more minutes.

Miso Vegan
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
But get this: the snooze is only 4 minutes!! :brood:
What kind of sick joke is that?

seitanicvegan
03-30-2006, 12:10 AM
The bad news: I went to a truckload of trouble and spent way too much money for a stinking alarm clock setup thingy.

The good news: It works.

I searched high and low for an alarm clock with an option for a soothing sound. I found nothing except cheesy imitation soothing sounds.

Then I searched high and low for an alarm clock that not only plays CDs but also comes with a [insert dramatic drum roll] Remote Control. Found one. [Insert anti-morning cheers.]

Then I searched high and low (I'm good at this by now) for a CD. But not just any CD. No, this must be a CD that has recorded actual, real, live Nature Sounds. (Yes, I know that the idea of pre-recorded, orchestrated Nature Sounds is a crock of cahooey. Humor me. I don't do mornings.) Found not one, but two. [More anti-morning cheers.]

Now, every morning at o'dark thirty, I wake up softly and gently to Real, Live Nature Sounds with some occasional piano, flute, harp, etc. thrown in for extra soothingness.

So do I still curse and roll over and hit the snooze button on my precious remote control? Let's just say that I have a well-stocked battery supply.

walrus
03-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Now, every morning at o'dark thirty, I wake up softly and gently to Real, Live Nature Sounds with some occasional piano, flute, harp, etc. thrown in for extra soothingness.
seitanicvegan, I could read your posts all day. You crack me up. :)

seitanicvegan
03-30-2006, 12:39 AM
seitanicvegan, I could read your posts all day. You crack me up. :)

Thanks.

(I feel kinda bashful now, though. ;) )

vegbrain
03-30-2006, 12:56 AM
I have become quite attached to having my iPod come on and pump my favorite playlist.

atouria
03-30-2006, 10:08 AM
The bad news: I went to a truckload of trouble and spent way too much money for a stinking alarm clock setup thingy.

The good news: It works.

You know that someone was gonna ask...

What is it and what CD's did you get? Links for love!

petaske'kwe'
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I haven't woken up with an alarm in well over a month (yay vacation!) but I have a Timex alarm clock with cheesy nature sounds, which I really like. It offers a choice between bird sounds, babbling brook sounds, ocean sounds, or a beep, that get progressively louder as time passes. I usually go for the bird sounds or the brook sounds. On the bird sounds, there's one bird that sounds like a saw or something and when it gets loud it REALLY motivates you to turn it off.

seitanicvegan
03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
You know that someone was gonna ask...

What is it and what CD's did you get? Links for love!

I picked up an Audiovox CD clock radio with dual alarm settings from Target. I forget how much I paid for it, but it was a lot for a dang alarm clock. I debated for a long time whether or not I really wanted to pay that much for something that I'm not going to enjoy using.

The two CDs are called "The Tranquility of the Sounds of Nature" (by some person/entity called Corciolli) and "Walk Through the Forest" (Nature's Relaxation Suites, Mood Music for the Senses). I ordered the CDs from Barnes & Noble. I like the second one better because there is more focus on natural sounds. I have that one in my clock right now, and I wake up to birds and then ocean in the mornings. If I close my eyes and ignore my dog's snoring, I can pretend that I'm camping at the beach. :D

Cujo
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Mine is a weird digital alarm becuase I use my mobile phone as my alarm. So I usually end up thinking my phone is ringing, answering it then getting confused when no one is there

iamtheqbu
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I left my alarm clock at home-home over spring break. I didn't realize it until I was unpacking at school-home. I've been doing pretty well waking up on my own BEFORE classes and meetings and such. The guinea pigs help. Sophia sure enjoys screaming at the top of her little piggy lungs at 6:30 am ;)

Sophia: I'M HUNGRY! GET YOUR @$$ OUT OF BED AND FETCH ME SOME CARROTS, SLAVE!!
JoEllen: yes, please. some carrots would be nice.
Sophia: SHADDUP! I'LL YELL FOR CARROTS! YOU JUST SIT THERE AND LOOK CUTE!

Emiloid
03-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Ha! Too funny!

grunch
03-31-2006, 07:45 PM
My Alarm Clock has three alarm times that can be set. The first one is Wind Chimes (I can choose surf, rain or forest) for 6:00 AM. My second alarm is a CD...I use a Sounds from the Andes that has a happy feel to it for 7:00 AM. The third selection is radio or annoying loud buzzer but it's way too loud for me so it's turned off.

quagga
04-01-2006, 01:19 AM
I used to set my alarm with two alarms, but I realized for me that doing so was actually disrupting my last half-hour of sleep. I would wake up to the first alarm, then doze until the second, real alarm went off. The quality of that last half hour was terrible. When I finally got out of bed, I would want to go back to bed about an hour later.

I changed to just one alarm, set a little bit later, and feel much better when I wake up. After I'm up I can stay up longer and don't feel like going back to bed as much.

GliondrachM
04-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I have a proper alarm clock. A clockwork one that goes tick tock all day long. I never hear the bell because it clicks about one second before the bell rings and I automatically spin round in bed to put it off before it rings.

Dandelion
04-01-2006, 12:13 PM
a blogger was raving about this: SleepTracker (http://www.sleeptracker.com/)

quagga
04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey check this out from the Sleeptracker (http://www.sleeptracker.com/howitworks_stages.aspx) site:

By monitoring your sleep cycles for optimal waking moments during the preset ALARM WINDOW, SLEEPTRACKER® finds those almost awake-moments and gently wakes you when you’re most alert. The result? You wake up refreshed instead of groggy. Waking up has never been easier.

Miso Vegan
04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
But, waking up groggy is the only view I have into what it's like to be grog. Why would I want to change that?

theveganmary
06-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Beepbeepbeep beepbeepbeep beepbeepbeep... until I hit snooze.

Vegtink
06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Ugh I hate the alarm. It wakes me up, like every morning, tee hee. It is some chime thingy that gets louder to wake you gradually. Right like that happens I still wake suddenly at the sound of it.

apples_for_eva
06-11-2006, 02:11 PM
music does NOT work for me. it has to be VERY loud to wake me, so loud that it's just as jarring (ie heart attack inducing) as an alarm (particularly when it's a commercial or something else annoying...) so i just have this bee-bee-be-BEEP, bee-bee-be-BEEP right next to my head. i have been known to turn it off without waking/remembering, though. more often than not.

interesting anecdote- when i was a kid, my parents (once? more than once? i don't know) set off the fire alarm in the upstairs hallway (where my & my brother's rooms were) to see if we would respond appropriately or not...

i slept through it.

i don't sleep quite that heavy anymore (usually), but i have been known to wake up to my husband shaking me because my son sometimes can't cry loud enough to wake me up.

however, my husband's alarm quite frequently wakes me- it makes this wretched, gut and toothe clenching sound like a weird, gutteral (*but somehow high pitched at the same time*)EEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEE!!!!!

thriftyplanet
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
If I have to set the alarm, it's set to turn on to whatever radio station I was listening to the previous day. Usually I listen to Coast to Coast am at night so when I wake up it's some talk show host on Fox news blabbering on. Ugh. Gets me RIGHT UP to turn it off.

Prophet
06-12-2006, 07:08 PM
When my alarm goes off in the morning, I usually just turn it off in my sleep.:umm: and when I wake up I don't remember any of it.

Dandelion
06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
this morning i thought a truck backing up in the alley was my alarm. :confused:

Vegtink
06-13-2006, 01:35 PM
this morning i thought a truck backing up in the alley was my alarm. :confused:
Oh that is not fun, especially if it was not time to get up yet.

Ourcola
07-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Miss Lovely posted a note about an alarm clock that gradually get louder and louder. Some others also mention alarms that get increasingly loud.
I have been looking all over for such a clock and can't find it. Can those of you with such alarms please tell me what the brand name and model number of your clock is? And if there's a major store I can find it?
Thanks!

Emiloid
07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I got mine at Target, and it was only about $3-5. The brand is Sharp, but I don't see any other info on it, like model number.

If you want a more expensive (but probably nice) progressively louder clock, you might try the Zen Alarm Clock (http://www.now-zen.com/). I've never heard one in person, but they seem like a nice idea. Looks like they go for $100+.

Vegtink
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Mine gradually gets louder and I got it from Wal-Mart for $10.

katukuy
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I am pathetic getting up in the morning luckily my boyfriend wakes me but if not i just sleep through any alarm! the only alarm i had that worked on me was one i had when i was about 8 or 9 and it was a mickey mouse one with the 2 bells on the top if you get what i mean?! i would put it under my pillow and i would wake up with a jump it was pretty scary but did the job :p

this is it! that takes me back!!!
:D

Chijou_no_seiza
07-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I now have 5 alarms to wake up me in the morning (Not not 5 seperate alarms, ha!). 1 is my "real" alarm. And the other 4 are set on the cell phone at intervals starting from 6:09 to 6:42. Because I don't sleep as much anymore, I like to have it feel like I'm sleeping a lot, otherwise I say "10 more mins" and conk out. :D

Foxy
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I have the worst habit of hitting the snooze button even when I know I need to get up right now! I will somehow reason that I will be able to make it out of the house on time if I skip the makeup and don't take to long on my hair, but I know better. Somehow when you're sleepy, anything is believable.

MercurialMary
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
4 year old hungry child, 2 dogs that need to pee then get fed, 3 cats harrassing me to fill the food bowl.

gr8flgrl
09-16-2006, 10:08 PM
4 year old hungry child, 2 dogs that need to pee then get fed, 3 cats harrassing me to fill the food bowl.

We have the same alarm clock :laugh:

wildmindgirl
09-18-2006, 08:52 AM
My alarm has a horriffic beep that starts off low and quiet and builds to a wrecking-ball terrifying BEEP BEEP within a few seconds so as soon as it goes off my heart starts panicking and I almost have a heart attack trying to turn it off before it gets REALLY loud and then I'm up and already in a very non-zen place.

So basically, my alarm tries to kill me by making me have a massive heart attack every morning so I try to outwit it and wake up before it goes off at 5:30.

Option B: My cat licking my face with her sandpaper tongue until I get up and feed her: Now! Now! Now!

Option C: Wildmindboy whispering "Honey, would you mind making me a smoothy? Please? Pretty please?" The man can't seem to figure out how to make a smoothy. So he says.

DTN
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I had this awful alarm clock when I was a teenager. My dad bought it for me...it was Bugs Bunny in a tree stump. When the alarm went off, Bugs would shoot up out of the tree stump and say, 'Meh, time to rise and shine, doc.' My nephew used to torture me w/it during the day and press the button to make him pop out. It sent me into nervous tics. I ended up breaking that damned thing on purpose.

MercurialMary
03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
My anger at both my alarm clocks burns with the white-hot intensity of 1,000 suns. I have a battery powered Timex and a cheap plug in with neon blue numbers that I could read by in the deepest, darkest night, and that's with the setting on "dim" even.

Both of mine are jarring and I tag team snooze for an hour anyway.

I have tried really hard over the past months to go to bed early and reset my internal clock so I wake up without the clock, but I am a really proficient sleeper, and I just keep on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz with no clock.

I am tired of waking up angry.

Has anybody gotten that Zen alarm clock (http://www.now-zen.com/cgi-bin/orders/shop.pl?ACTION=ENTER+SHOP&thispage=digitalclocks&AFFILIATE=&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21), yet? Know anyone who has it?

I like the digital with the B tone chime. The other kind only comes with the E tone, which is not so bad. I worry with the digital that the backlight would be too bright. I like to sleep in cave-like darkness.

Anyone?

vegankitty
03-29-2007, 07:28 PM
I have become quite attached to having my iPod come on and pump my favorite playlist.

This is what I do.I have a wake-up playlist of loud songs.The Pogues , The Clash and Bikini Kill.

bluedawg
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Has anybody gotten that Zen alarm clock (http://www.now-zen.com/cgi-bin/orders/shop.pl?ACTION=ENTER+SHOP&thispage=digitalclocks&AFFILIATE=&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21), yet? Know anyone who has it?

I like the digital with the B tone chime. The other kind only comes with the E tone, which is not so bad. I worry with the digital that the backlight would be too bright. I like to sleep in cave-like darkness.

Anyone?
i don't know how i missed it the first time when atouria posted it, but now that you linked it again i have to say, that zen dealie looks pretty awesome! i wonder if we could survive without an actual snooze button, though... my husband really likes to use it. maybe the "gradual awakening" would eventually reduce the desire for "snooze" though...?

MercurialMary, if you use battery power i think the display is only lit when you push a button (i.e., not all the time). and/or if you wanted to use the AC cord (so it is lit all the time), maybe you could just close the box?

MercurialMary
03-29-2007, 08:49 PM
It's true, bluedawg! I read several reviews where people said they just closed the lid and it (the alarm) still worked. I guess I thought maybe it turned off or messed with it in some way...

My hubby said as soon as we get a few random bills paid off we might be able to swing it with tax money!

Which do you like, the B tone or E tone? Digital or the triangle one?

I like the B tone Maple box.

bluedawg
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
oh hooray!

you know, i listened to them both, on repeat, for quite awhile (heh, i'm a dork) and i think i might prefer the E. it's a little more "comforting" or something to me. but truly i like them both.

MercurialMary
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM
oh hooray!

you know, i listened to them both, on repeat, for quite awhile (heh, i'm a dork) and i think i might prefer the E. it's a little more "comforting" or something to me. but truly i like them both.

I listened to them a lot too, and made my daughter, my husband and whatever animals listen in too.

Note: My dogs and cats don't care about either one. :silly:

Jessica
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Radio here.

michiganveganchick
03-29-2007, 10:46 PM
two alarms. one is my radio, which i listen to from anywhere from 20-120 minutes while half-sleeping. :laugh: i also have my cell phone alarm on. one of the two usually gets me out of bed eventually.

Flower
03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
The radio. It always seems to be something weird that comes on, though. Yesterday morning, we awoke to them talking about sex change operations and if the person should still be getting alimony from their ex-spouse. :confused:

MercurialMary
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I have ordered the Zen Clock (http://www.now-zen.com/cgi-bin/orders/shop.pl?ACTION=ENTER+SHOP&thispage=digitalclocks&AFFILIATE=&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21). When it arrives, I shall have an "Office Space printer moment" with my current alarm clock out in the back yard.

PC Load Letter, Y'all

gladcow
04-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I have ordered the Zen Clock (http://www.now-zen.com/cgi-bin/orders/shop.pl?ACTION=ENTER+SHOP&thispage=digitalclocks&AFFILIATE=&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21). When it arrives, I shall have an "Office Space printer moment" with my current alarm clock out in the back yard.

PC Load Letter, Y'all
hoooo, Mary. I always wanted to have a moment like that with my old cell phone. let it out, girl!

mamaquilla
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
congrats MM, sounds lovely, have fun with your moment in the back yard :silly:

bluedawg
04-09-2007, 01:26 PM

PC Load Letter, Y'all
hee! i just love you.

please post with an update once it arrives! i'm still thinking about getting one. oh, and which tone did you order?

MercurialMary
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I ordered it last week, and the web site lets you choose shipping options, but even if you choose, say, next day shipping, it doesn't matter because they may not have a clock to send you or they may have to build one, etc, etc, etc. I emailed today trying to get a ETA, but we'll see. I can't freaking wait!

In the end I went with the E tone because the B tone reminded husband of our heat pump, which makes some high pitched squeals if there is air in the line. :rolleyes:

Miso Vegan
04-09-2007, 05:40 PM
... we have a clock radio. From Nanashi I have learned to hit snooze several times. But if it were just me, I'd set the alarm for the last possible minute I could get up, and then not hit snooze. I have it set to NPR, which Nanashi hates (because he hates talk radio, not because he's Republican or something). But the iPod, that's an idea....

I ended up getting Nanashi an iPod clock/alarm thingy. It's cool. Set it to the song you want to wake up to (or alarm, or radio). It has 2 alarms. Which can be set for as many days of the week as you need for that time. The snooze has a motion detector (although it's not always that sensitive) so you could just wave your arm to go into snooze mode. And it has a remote, for the person sleeping on the other side of the bed.
My only complaint is that the numbers are a bit too bright, even on "dim" setting.

MercurialMary
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Zen Alarm scheduled for delivery 4/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MercurialMary
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, so I got my Zen Alarm Clock with E Tone on Wednesday...

Wednesday night - too exicted to sleep :banana: ! I got a new SIGG bottle that day, too, so I tossed and turned all night and bounced up at the first chime, which was very soothing and pretty BTW.

Thursday night - grumpy from work :mad: , slept ok, woke up after the first chime, but hung around for the second chime.

Friday night - had some wine :drunk: , slept pretty well. Dozed in and out of 4 or 5 of the chime series, which is very peaceful and non-jarring.

I give it a :thumbsup:! With my other alarm clocks, I could snooze tag through radio or buzzer for hours if the clock supported that. I would wake up fuzzy-brained and mean and angry.

This clock reminds me of how I used to wake up when I was younger. I just lie there and think about some random things, relaxed but awake, until I am ready to get up, even if I turn off the chime.

I think I finally found a winner! :D

atouria
04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Awesome MM! I've wanted a Zen clock for a long time now, but could never fully convince my hubby. I'm betting that he would sleep right through it, though. If I was still getting up before he was, then I'd definitely get one based on your enjoyment of it! :)

MercurialMary
04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Awesome MM! I've wanted a Zen clock for a long time now, but could never fully convince my hubby. I'm betting that he would sleep right through it, though. If I was still getting up before he was, then I'd definitely get one based on your enjoyment of it! :)

It's quite loud, the chime I mean. Not obnoxious loud, but definitely anti-sleep-through loud. Once it's toward the end cycle and going off every few seconds, I don't think anyone could sleep through it...

:)

bird
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
coongratulations, mm! i think i am going to get a zen clock when i move to my new apartment. my current clock is a cheapie from target that is pretty beat up because the base is spindly and unstable, so it's constantly falling off the narrow window ledge (the only place i can put it since i have no furniture in my room) and getting smashed onto the tile floor.

bird
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
i know a bunch of you said this was your alarm...

mamaquilla
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
bwah!!!! :laugh:

nauthiz
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
I got a Moonbeam (http://www.bitwisegifts.com/page/bg/PROD/back-to-school/20038?gclid=CN_7j8fIyosCFQGPWAod0iKqHA) clock about a week ago. For the most part I absolutely love it - the light definitely does a better job of waking me up in the morning, while at the same time managing to not be nearly as hateful as a normal alarm clock buzzer. It also gets points for having a mechanical bell - more hateful than the light, but still less so than a buzzer.

I do think I'm going to have to rip it open and figure out a way to disable (or attach a switch to) the light on the face, though. It's nice to be able to see what time it is at night and all, but it's bright enough to qualify as a night light.

MercurialMary
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Ooo, very stylish! Is yours that color?

bird
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
i have a moonbeam in yellow in storage. i also had one in pink but it turned defective after a couple of years so i returned it. they make them in green and blue as well.

nauthiz
04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Ooo, very stylish! Is yours that color?
yup

bluedawg
04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
MercurialMary, thanks for the review of the zen clock! i really want to get one now. i haven't floated the idea past h-dawg yet... his birthday is in 10 days, and i'm half-considering buying it for him as a fun and creative gift. :laugh: it would totally be a gift for myself though, and i know it. i'll probably bring it up soon and see if he thinks i'm crazy.

nauthiz, does the moonbeam aspect of the clock only work if you sleep in a really dark room? and/or only have to get up really early in the morning?

bird
04-18-2007, 01:52 AM
totally butting in to say that the moonbeam does not work for me in the sense that the light wakes me up before the buzzer. (the original catchphrase when they introduced it was "the polite alarm clock" or summat). the light is really soft and also a small bulb. but it looks nice, and the buzzer will get you up unless you're attackferret. ;) i got it for stylistic reasons, though.

Miso Vegan
04-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I do think I'm going to have to rip it open and figure out a way to disable (or attach a switch to) the light on the face, though. It's nice to be able to see what time it is at night and all, but it's bright enough to qualify as a night light.

That's the one complaint I have about our iPod/radio/alarm clock thingie.

it would totally be a gift for myself though, and i know it.

That was a big part of me getting Nanashi the iPod/radio/alarm clock thingie. I hated the other alarm clock, I hated that it had to be on my side of the bed, that I had to be the one to be jarred awake and have to scramble to reach - and it was a bit of a reach - over my son to the clock to hit the snooze (preferably without waking Miso Lite)....

bluedawg
04-22-2007, 07:03 PM
MercurialMary, i have some follow-up questions about the zen alarm clock:

1. does the first chime go off at the "set alarm time"... as in, all chimes after that are basically snooze chimes? :) or is it "preparing" you for your real wakeup time by gradually chiming up until the set alarm time?

2. (this might be an incredibly stupid question, but...) how easy is it to set, and/or change, the alarm time? what often happens in our house is that one of us gets up, and then we move the alarm for the other one to let them sleep in a little. is it kind of a pain or is it easy-peasy?

3. do you still love it? heh.

i love the look of the triangle one, but the digital one seems to have a bit more features/flexibility. also, i'm totally bummed that you can only get a silver face in the digital if you buy the black lacquer one. i like the maple box the best out of the three, but i'm not a big fan of the gold face. oh well.

i still really really want one.

in other news, i saw a moonbeam clock (it appeared to be lavender?) in someone's house today.

MercurialMary
04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
MercurialMary, i have some follow-up questions about the zen alarm clock:

1. does the first chime go off at the "set alarm time"... as in, all chimes after that are basically snooze chimes? :) or is it "preparing" you for your real wakeup time by gradually chiming up until the set alarm time?

My clock is set for 5:30 am, which is when the first chime goes off. Then the progression starts after that. I make it to the 2nd or 3rd chime, and I am usually in the kitchen wandering around making tea and breakfast by 5:40 am, fully awake but not cranky. The chime progression really is like a no-effort snooze (no jarring out of sleep, shifting position, fumbling for the button).

2. (this might be an incredibly stupid question, but...) how easy is it to set, and/or change, the alarm time? what often happens in our house is that one of us gets up, and then we move the alarm for the other one to let them sleep in a little. is it kind of a pain or is it easy-peasy?

Setting the alarm is super easy in itself, and shouldn't pose a problem to reset once you know where the buttons are. (the light only illuminates the numbers, not the button panel) The digital, in addition to the alarm, has a "Countdown Timer" which is very simple to use and which you can set for any interval.

Example: Today I took a nap with Baby Mary and set it for 1 hr 30 minutes and it counted down from that and then chimed. In that setting, it chimes once (I think, I was awake already and turned it off!)

The digital can plug in or use batteries, so negotiating the plug may be the only issue with moving it...

3. do you still love it? heh.

I :heart: adore :heart: this clock! It was stupid expensive, but worth every single penny, and I really recommend it.

i love the look of the triangle one, but the digital one seems to have a bit more features/flexibility. also, i'm totally bummed that you can only get a silver face in the digital if you buy the black lacquer one. i like the maple box the best out of the three, but i'm not a big fan of the gold face. oh well.

i still really really want one.

Yeah, the designs are strangely limited as far as mix-and-match, but I close mine during the day (pet hair!) and open it at night.

Another selling point for me: The light is really dim and only lights the clock face, not the buttons, but has the option to turn off entirely, which I do. It comes on briefly when I turn on the alarm at bedtime, but goes off after a few seconds.

I wasn't sure I would at first, but I do love (and actually use!) the options of the digital.

bluedawg
04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
My clock is set for 5:30 am, which is when the first chime goes off. Then the progression starts after that. I make it to the 2nd or 3rd chime, and I am usually in the kitchen wandering around making tea and breakfast by 5:40 am, fully awake but not cranky. The chime progression really is like a no-effort snooze (no jarring out of sleep, shifting position, fumbling for the button).thank you! that makes perfect sense. and, for us, it would be a MUCH less jarring sensation, because we have to actually get out of bed and walk across the room to hit our snooze button. :silly:

Setting the alarm is super easy in itself, and shouldn't pose a problem to reset once you know where the buttons are. (the light only illuminates the numbers, not the button panel) The digital, in addition to the alarm, has a "Countdown Timer" which is very simple to use and which you can set for any interval.awesome! yay! the countdown timer sounds like a great idea, too, especially for naptime like you said.

The digital can plug in or use batteries, so negotiating the plug may be the only issue with moving it...heh, sorry, i wasn't being very clear. we don't actually move the clock, but we re-set the alarm for a later time so the other person can sleep longer.

I :heart: adore :heart: this clock! It was stupid expensive, but worth every single penny, and I really recommend it.yep, you're really cementing my decision with all the gushing. :yes:

MercurialMary
04-22-2007, 08:09 PM
:thumbsup: :D

Emiloid
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
OK, so I got my Zen Alarm Clock with E Tone on Wednesday...

Wednesday night - too exicted to sleep :banana: ! I got a new SIGG bottle that day, too, so I tossed and turned all night and bounced up at the first

Wait... were you tossing and turning because you were so excited about your new alarm clock? :p That's too cute! :sunny:

nauthiz
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
The light on the moonbeam will generally wake me up if it's still twilight out, but it doesn't accomplish anything if the sun is already high in the sky.

MercurialMary
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Wait... were you tossing and turning because you were so excited about your new alarm clock? :p That's too cute! :sunny:

Why yes, I was! :)

I like cute much better than nerd, which is what my husband called me! :laugh:

The Frumious Bandersnatch
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I have two: a daylight alarm clock, which becomes dazzlingly bright over half an hour and a Pure DAB radio with an alarm that is always set to BBC Radio 4.

I sleep through both of these, so when I *really* have to get up for an appointment I set the ever_so_annoying_alarm on my mobile phone and leave it over the other side of my bedroom ;)

bird
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Why yes, I was! :)

I like cute much better than nerd, which is what my husband called me! :laugh:but nerdy is cute around these parts! in fact, it's downright adorable. :yes:

Drew!
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Waking up to good musak sounds appealing, but i have a caveat:

A friend of mine always woke up to Abbey Road in the morn, but he progressively developed a pavlovian response to detest Come Together because that was the first thing he heard in the morning. So make sure you vary your playlist or run the risk of perverting it.

JUST THE 9TH!

nauthiz
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I accomplished the same thing with Chan Chan by the Buena Vista Social Club.

bluedawg
05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
as i mentioned in my birthday thread, h-dawg got me a zen alarm clock for my birthday. it's not here yet, because he wanted me to have the final say on which style before he ordered it, but it should be here soon. squeeee!

i chose the maple box, E tone. i can't wait!

nibbler
07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I've got 2 hungry pigs and a cell phone, But my cell phone isn't used as an alarm anymore.

squirrel
07-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow, old thread! bluedawg, I've never read this thread before today, and now I'm wondering about the clock you got. Did you end up loving it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it? Have they gone down in price from 3 years ago? :D

bluedawg
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
you can have it if you want it.

well, i should probably check with h-dawg about that before i give it away, but we never use it anymore (we use our iPhones), and it's on his dresser across the room so we don't even really use it as a regular clock. we could use it for meditation practice, i suppose... if we thought about it.

anyhow, it is kind of cool, although it was a bit of a pain to try to calibrate the noise. we always hear a slight "thunk" along with the chime, which was sort of annoying to us, but maybe we're picky. :silly:

squirrel
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
you can have it if you want it.

well, i should probably check with h-dawg about that before i give it away, but we never use it anymore (we use our iPhones), and it's on his dresser across the room so we don't even really use it as a regular clock. we could use it for meditation practice, i suppose... if we thought about it.

anyhow, it is kind of cool, although it was a bit of a pain to try to calibrate the noise. we always hear a slight "thunk" along with the chime, which was sort of annoying to us, but maybe we're picky. :silly:

If it needs a new home and hubby agrees, I'd love to try it out! Thank you! :)

Decomprose
08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I've got a Zen Clock and it's great. I got it a long time ago though and my version runs only on batteries (not electric) so I stopped using it until I can get rechargables and a solar charger. In the mean time I've got one of those clocks that I plug my iPod into. That allows us to wake to basically any noise on the iPod we like, or the good old standard local NPR station.

squirrel
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
It sounds so pretty. :)